Great analysis from SI

Hank Bukowski

Roland James
I recall David Cutcliffe, in our glory years when he was our OC, publicly stating more than once that his job as OC was to give the team 30 points every game. That was the goal. Even when he failed to do that, 30 points was always the goal.

When you read this piece from SI, harken back to a few weeks ago when Pruitt stated publicly that “we’re not going to play in fear and we’re not going to coach in fear.” He was talking about going for it on fourth down.

It can’t be controversial for a fan to be an oracle of the obvious: we need to see a new offense at Arkansas, one that isn’t scared. Throw in as many freshmen as we can, take risks, be entirely unpredictable, build depth, and have some fun playing this fun game. Tee, either you or somebody needs to show our receivers how to separate, how to get open. Open the game up and stop playing afraid. Coach Chaney, please do what we hired you to do: move the chains, score points and win games. Win the important arguments with Pruitt. Don’t play scared. Play fearlessly.

Oh, we’ll make mistakes and turn the ball over alright. But we will win some games.

We’ll get slapped, but we’ll get kissed, too.

Bye Week, Upcoming Decisions Will Prove to be Pivotal for Jeremy Pruitt, Vols

What we’ve seen through five games is what we will see through the remainder of the season.

Not necessarily - remember last year? Having said that, usually the second half of the year is when we don't play Bama, UGA, and UF and this time we still have very tough schedule (I think A&M and UF are likely loses, Vandy likely win, and the other games are up for grabs). I'm pretty sure we will play much better against Arky - their expecations are up at this point, probably above where their program is right now (so when playing under pressure of expectation to beat us it will probably backfire since they are actually not better than us). I expect out defense to be much better (can't be any worse, and Pruitt will kick their ass over next couple of weeks for sure and hopefully get comfortable starting few of the younger and more talented players - they better earn that right to play asap because a lot of people who played so far are just not good enough to play at this level - they were outmached so it was not a matter of lack of effort, but rather limited ability - same applies to all upper classman receivers with exception of Palmer).

Did this guy read the Volnation message board before he wrote that article? Everything he said is being said on here. If Pruitt goes with JG against Ark he will lose the game, the fans and the team for the rest of the season. I hate it for JG as he is a true VFL and wants to win badly, but he just does not have the ceiling of play to get us there.

Did this guy read the Volnation message board before he wrote that article? Everything he said is being said on here. If Pruitt goes with JG against Ark he will lose the game, the fans and the team for the rest of the season. I hate it for JG as he is a true VFL and wants to win badly, but he just does not have the ceiling of play to get us there.
JG needs to be our back up 100 percent. He is at best a game managing back up.

Reactions: Vol524
Cut had major talent.

Which his ability and success attracted. But for Cut, Peyton would have been a Black Bear Landshark Rebel, or whatever the hell they are calling themselves these days.

See how that works? Coach smart, develop talent, and the wins and talent will come. The wins and talent attract more talent hence more wins........

Coach like your truly ARE Slingblade, and watch that cycle come crashing down all around you. You know. Like now.

Agree

He makes a very good argument about why not to start JG and how that decision relates to Pruitt's future. As others have mentioned... I think he may have plagiarized some posts here.

But Chaney and Weinke play who Pruitt says to play at QB. Their job is to prepare him. Even if you think the opposite... it is Pruitt's job to see the problem and overrule them. Either way, Pruitt should have called an end to the madness a long time ago.

As for HB... few people know who has earned what among the 3 behind JB... and I suspect this author isn't one of them. HB may be the next great UT QB but that needs to be proven.

I do not know if Maurer was sent out because he did not play in the previous game or if he's earned the #2 spot. Either way... the between Maurer, Shrout, and Bailey is NOT a settled issue... and won't be settled by recruiting "stars".

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
It's funny how you put a blazing fast freshman in and you saw the separation he gets when he gets open. Even compared to Palmer who almost always only has half a step on his guy. Not hating on Palmer, he's our best WR still. But I'm just saying. Guys like Keyton, Tillman, and Brandon Johnson are giving you nothing right now. It's time to play those young freshman.

He makes a very good argument about why not to start JG and how that decision relates to Pruitt's future. As others have mentioned... I think he may have plagiarized some posts here.

But Chaney and Weinke play who Pruitt says to play at QB. Their job is to prepare him. Even if you think the opposite... it is Pruitt's job to see the problem and overrule them. Either way, Pruitt should have called an end to the madness a long time ago.

As for HB... few people know who has earned what among the 3 behind JB... and I suspect this author isn't one of them. HB may be the next great UT QB but that needs to be proven.

I do not know if Maurer was sent out because he did not play in the previous game or if he's earned the #2 spot. Either way... the between Maurer, Shrout, and Bailey is NOT a settled issue... and won't be settled by recruiting "stars".
I know every situation is different, but I am not convinced HB is a year away from taking the reigns. LSU had ONE QB who had ever taken a college snap. When he went down with injury, they got a true freshman ready in two weeks (week off, just like us) who torched SC for 38 pts.

It's funny how you put a blazing fast freshman in and you saw the separation he gets when he gets open. Even compared to Palmer who almost always only has half a step on his guy. Not hating on Palmer, he's our best WR still. But I'm just saying. Guys like Keyton, Tillman, and Brandon Johnson are giving you nothing right now. It's time to play those young freshman.

Keyton has been a huge disappointment this year. Drops and stupid unforced penalties, his head isnt on straight right now. Brandon Johnson can be an asset against against teams that play a soft zone and have no pass rush. Hes got great hands, but cant win against man coverage. I still have hopes for Tillman, hes big, syrong, and fast. He hasnt had a ton of opportunities, but if he sticks around he'll be a grown man and a big time player for us. Remember, he'll still be just a soph. next year. I think he will figure it out.

I guess many choose to overlook the fact that starting the year the coaches had two options to start at QB, JG or Shrout. Neither Maurer or Bailey were anywhere close to being ready because of injury and Covid.

Kentucky week was, per the coach, the first time Maurer was ready and that's why he got snaps in the Sunday scrimmage. When asked why Maurer yesterday Coach said he earned it in practice, meaning he leapfrogged Shrout after only being full go for two weeks.

HB might eventually be the best of them all, but missing because of Covid on top of no spring has hurt. Who knows maybe in this bye week he can make up ground. But, my guess is a healthy Maurer will start the rest of the year with JG and HB backing him up. And he definitely brings much needed energy to the field.

Which his ability and success attracted. But for Cut, Peyton would have been a Black Bear Landshark Rebel, or whatever the hell they are calling themselves these days.

See how that works? Coach smart, develop talent, and the wins and talent will come. The wins and talent attract more talent hence more wins........

Coach like your truly ARE Slingblade, and watch that cycle come crashing down all around you. You know. Like now.
Cut and Peyton didn’t have a relationship until he was already here. He came to UT because Fulmer sold it and he wanted to do his own thing. They were winning with Shuler as a lead in but Cut was really only one season on the job as an OC.

They were certainly coaching out of fear. While down, they refused (for the most part) to take any chances.......as if somehow that would make things worse.

Keyton has been a huge disappointment this year. Drops and stupid unforced penalties, his head isnt on straight right now. Brandon Johnson can be an asset against against teams that play a soft zone and have no pass rush. Hes got great hands, but cant win against man coverage. I still have hopes for Tillman, hes big, syrong, and fast. He hasnt had a ton of opportunities, but if he sticks around he'll be a grown man and a big time player for us. Remember, he'll still be just a soph. next year. I think he will figure it out.

The problem with Keyton though is even if he plays to his potential, hes at most just another Brandon Johnson imo. A guy that can get your a first down here and there, but he ain't making any huge plays. Tillman just isn't a power 5 player. I'm sorry, just isn't. He's played so many snaps this year and I don't think he has a single catch. Abosuletly a joke.

The problem with Keyton though is even if he plays to his potential, hes at most just another Brandon Johnson imo. A guy that can get your a first down here and there, but he ain't making any huge plays. Tillman just isn't a power 5 player. I'm sorry, just isn't. He's played so many snaps this year and I don't think he has a single catch. Abosuletly a joke.

Keyton made a couple huge plays last year as a freshman. 41 yard HUGE catch against Ms St, we dont win the game without that catch. He had a 40+ yarder in the bowl game as well. His head isnt on straight, but he has ability. Tillman is still raw, but he could be around another 4 years. He'll be a grown man & can be much more polished by then. Hes seen most of his snaps this year in blocking situations like Tyler Byrd last year.

I know every situation is different, but I am not convinced HB is a year away from taking the reigns. LSU had ONE QB who had ever taken a college snap. When he went down with injury, they got a true freshman ready in two weeks (week off, just like us) who torched SC for 38 pts.
I'm not writing HB off... or Maurer. Not impressed or as hopeful as I was about Shrout. I don't need to repeat where I am with JG.

I'd like to see one of the two. I just don't assume it is HB.

Cut and Peyton didn’t have a relationship until he was already here. He came to UT because Fulmer sold it and he wanted to do his own thing. They were winning with Shuler as a lead in but Cut was really only one season on the job as an OC.

Actually, every single story on that I have ever heard had Cut and Fulmer as equally important in the process, with Archie being very impressed with Cut.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back