DG's Takeaways from the Bama Game

Very nice writeup. I do have a couple of disagreements.

I don't necessarily agree that Chaney is handcuffed. I personally feel the other way around. 3rd down plays are very questionable, even at third and 15 and being behind I don't like the rushing play.
Chaney is paid big bucks, and I think he is therefore calling the offensive shots. If he felt strongly about it, he could force a qb change.

I also question the development argument. I don't see a lot of player development yet. There is little progress in LB, DL, DB, even qb with Maurer and Shrout. OL is a disappointment, only
Palmer is playing well at wr. WR development is worrisome with no separation. Even the kicking game has not been impressive. I won't mention TE.

Finally, I disagree with your statement that Bama is one of the top defenses in the country. They avg. giving up 29 pts a game. They do have an AA db and a good dl. The rest of the def.
is very good but not elite.

Thanks for your writeups!!

Butch was better QB recruiter than JP. He got Dobbs and then would have gotten both Martinez and Pence which are both better than what we have. Maybe Bailey can change this.
Butch reminded me of an old software sales mgr.

During the weekly sales meeting, we were bitching about the all the bugs the software had. His reply was 'if this **** actually worked, I wouldn't need you idiots to sell it!!!'

Butch was a great pitch man and could get the initial buy-in but once the players got on campus, it was obvious to most that Butch was selling Vapor-ware. All sizzle and no steak.

I think Pruitt and staff can both recruit and coach but I'm afraid CJP is starting to feel the pressure of being a HC and going into siege-mode. It also seems like Dooley and Jones reached a point where they kinda cracked under that pressure and had their fill of the fanbase scrutiny and expectations. I don't think Pruitt is there yet be the season is still young.

At least Phil had the decency to wait until Johnny was hospitalized.

To avoid being a hypocrite, although I didn't care for how it was done, I did appreciate the end result. Phil gave us a golden decade of UT football but should have retired after he lost Cutcliff. He just couldn't trust another OC and created chaos on the O side of the ball as a result. I just hope we aren't seeing a repeat with Pruitt.
I must say that I find your definition of decency quite twisted.

Reactions: Woke
I must say that I find your definition of decency quite twisted.
I should have used 'blue font' for that portion of my reply.

Phil's move was 100% opportunity and 0% loyalty or decency. The end result was positive for Vol fans but the circumstances were not.

Reactions: Volsonyourface
the Brumbaugh deal, I don’t know if the whole truth will come out, but there’s got to be something there.

If the argument was that he was let go due to performance; then what you’re saying is he had to go 4 games into a COVID year for a unit that is nowhere near the worst on the team while other people who have been on the staff longer whose position group is not getting it done get to keep their job, aren’t demoted, etc.

Makes no sense

Butch reminded me of an old software sales mgr.

During the weekly sales meeting, we were bitching about the all the bugs the software had. His reply was 'if this **** actually worked, I wouldn't need you idiots to sell it!!!'

Butch was a great pitch man and could get the initial buy-in but once the players got on campus, it was obvious to most that Butch was selling Vapor-ware. All sizzle and no steak.

I think Pruitt and staff can both recruit and coach but I'm afraid CJP is starting to feel the pressure of being a HC and going into siege-mode. It also seems like Dooley and Jones reached a point where they kinda cracked under that pressure and had their fill of the fanbase scrutiny and expectations. I don't think Pruitt is there yet be the season is still young.
All sales managers are the same. I actually had one that used something similar. When we were bitching about not so competitive pricing we were told "anyone can give this **** away, we don't need ass-holes like you for that."

I hope CJP does not crack to the pressure.
He should know about unrealistic expectations.
He has been around coaching all his life and knows the dark underbelly of the profession.

Reactions: finn
I think people need to accept and start calling out Pruitt for our defense just being plain bad. People were in serious denial thinking the defense was only bad because "it's on the field too long" garbage. Uh no. If just sucks. Yes the offense sucks too because it's handicapped at the most important position, QB. But at least you see the potential there. The defense, I see abosuletly no potential whatsoever and it's very very sad.

the Brumbaugh deal, I don’t know if the whole truth will come out, but there’s got to be something there.

If the argument was that he was let go due to performance; then what you’re saying is he had to go 4 games into a COVID year for a unit that is nowhere near the worst on the team while other people who have been on the staff longer whose position group is not getting it done get to keep their job, aren’t demoted, etc.

Makes no sense
The rest of the story will never be told.
Brumbaugh wants his buyout.
He will say nothing.
Players are taught at a very young age that what happens in the locker room , stays in the locker room. That is older than Los Vegas.
Other coaches keep quite wanting to ride the gig till it ends and be able to roll with no baggage to the next one.
I dare say it was not a heated moment kind of thing. Coaches are big boys that play big boy rules. Not whiny know nothing bitches like the fans.

Last edited:
I think people need to accept and start calling out Pruitt for our defense just being plain bad. People were in serious denial thinking the defense was only bad because "it's on the field too long" garbage. Uh no. If just sucks. Yes the offense sucks too because it's handicapped at the most important position, QB. But at least you see the potential there. The defense, I see abosuletly no potential whatsoever and it's very very sad.

And I think when we have an offense that can sustain drives and score more than 19 ppg, we will see a different, better defense.

Go Vols.

If we can get Bailey in the game, Bailey to Hyatt would be a force the SEC would have to contend with for the next three years.

And I think when we have an offense that can sustain drives and score more than 19 ppg, we will see a different, better defense.

Go Vols.

I just simply disagree. I have no idea what people have seen that the come up with this conclusion. I think people have a soft spot for the defense for a couple good stops against UGA, but other than that I've seen no passion or hussle from the D at all this season. They're out of position all the time, can't cover the middle of the field and they have too many players that just have no mojo.

They have let ****** offenses such as UGA and Kentucky score on them at critical times and they were at points long before they whole "well they have been on the field too long" argument could be made. They always seem to give up TDs in the redzone and hardly ever force FGs outside of the Mizzou game. Dline is non-existent. Linebackers are slow to react and are a mess. The secondary is either out of position or when they are, they can't catch a damn ball. The defense was miles better last year when it had veteran Butch Jones players at the helm, that's all I need to know.

I just simply disagree. I have no idea what people have seen that the come up with this conclusion. I think people have a soft spot for the defense for a couple good stops against UGA, but other than that I've seen no passion or hussle from the D at all this season. They're out of position all the time, can't cover the middle of the field and they have too many players that just have no mojo.

They have let ****** offenses such as UGA and Kentucky score on them at critical times and they were at points long before they whole "well they have been on the field too long" argument could be made. They always seem to give up TDs in the redzone and hardly ever force FGs outside of the Mizzou game. Dline is non-existent. Linebackers are slow to react and are a mess. The secondary is either out of position or when they are, they can't catch a damn ball. The defense was miles better last year when it had veteran Butch Jones players at the helm, that's all I need to know.

We can agree to disagree. I get your point, but the defense was clearly gassed against UGA...demoralized against UK...and IMO walked on the field against Bama knowing UT would lose. I think when the defense believes they have a QB that can win the game, their level of play will visibly improve.

Definitely miss Taylor and Bituli. Missing leaders on defense. I really thought T'o-To'o would've picked up where Bituli left off but I was wrong. It looks like him and the rest of the defense have regressed. Hell, the same for the offense too.

We can agree to disagree. I get your point, but the defense was clearly gassed against UGA...demoralized against UK...and IMO walked on the field against Bama knowing UT would lose. I think when the defense believes they have a QB that can win the game, their level of play will visibly improve.

Fair enough. No good defense in history worried one bit about what the other side of the ball was doing. They just go out and do their jobs. Yes they were gassed by the 4th quarter of the UGA game. But doesn't excuse the poor play prior and there was plenty of poor play prior. Yes they were demoralized, but keep being little girls and go out and do your job. You're playing Kentucky, lol. If they start leaving it all out on the field, regardless of how the offense is playing, I'll respect them. You could easily argue that the offense should of been demoralized due to how awful the defense was playing vs Bama, and while the offense still wasn't good, I sensed they were still playing hard for the most part.

They have another half of the season, let's see how they do. Same goes for the offense as well.

Definitely miss Taylor and Bituli. Missing leaders on defense. I really thought T'o-To'o would've picked up where Bituli left off but I was wrong. It looks like him and the rest of the defense have regressed. Hell, the same for the offense too.

Henry T is losing money big time this season. I've seen him casually jog towards defenders way too much the last two games. Thats a horrible look to scouts.
They also miss Warrior in the secondary. Really came on last year in the winning streak. Safety play now is a complete joke

Henry T is losing money big time this season. I've seen him casually jog towards defenders way too much the last two games. Thats a horrible look to scouts.
I want to know what happened with him. He looks nothing like he did the first 2 games and last season.

Great write up, I agree with you on most points. I think we need bigger LB and RB's. Way too many times have I watched #11 meet the running back in the hole and the back run over him for a 3 yard game instead of no gain. How many times yesterday did we have Bama's #22 stopped and he still "fell" forward for a 2-3 year gain. Tackling has been a real issue on this team.
Henry T lost weight in off season, HUGE MISTAKE THANKS TRAINING STAFF!!

Gary Danielson. Seriously getting sick of his bias: 'That's textbook targeting by Tennessee. No way that gets overturned.'

Agree. However, ”our” Bob Kesling was saying the exact same thing. Tim Priest was objecting to the targeting call, but Bob was stating that it was absolutely targeting. ”By the rulebook.” I know Bob is trying to play toward the middle of the road, but sometimes he goes too far in his calls and appears to be cheering against the team he is supposed to be supporting. I was listening to the UT stream of the game so that I didn’t have to listen to Danielson, but then heard the same aggravating comments.

I want to know what happened with him. He looks nothing like he did the first 2 games and last season.

Played well the first 3 games imo. But I think he's just started playing with a lack of passion the past two. He's always been a little weak in the pass game, but he was always a solid tackler and great in the run game. But those two things he's not doing well at all lately either. Kid needs to get off instagram and focus on playing the best ball he can. Just my opinion. He's got all the talent in the world. But not giving full effort 100% of the time will kill your football career before it begins.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Gary Danielson. Seriously getting sick of his bias: 'That's textbook targeting by Tennessee. No way that gets overturned.' Call then gets overturned. As it should. It was not targeting. The offensive player led with his helmet and initiated the contact, not Jaylen McCullough. Yeah, there was some subjectivity there, but the replay officials made the right call overturning that IMO. I don't see how, as a defender, you can be charged with targeting when the offensive player is the one charging into your helmet. Good reversal by the refs, bad call by Gary Danielson.

Happy for the bye week. Let's hope the coaches figure things out better for the 2nd half of the season. At least we're through the worst 2 games on the schedule, but getting blown out to Kentucky is really what strings the most to me.

GBO!

Great post as always. I agree with about everything you said.

On the announcers, I agree. I am beginning to wonder what defenders are supposed to do. Your job is to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible, and put the ball carrier on the ground. His helmet was headed almost directly at the ball. If the ball carrier's head is in between the defender and the ball, what is he supposed to do? Just wave him on past, I guess.

I have heard coaches talk about discussing a play that went wrong with their QB. It is very important to them what the player was seeing on the field. This determines a lot of whether they pull him, and put in someone else. In the same way, I liked what I heard from our coach.

I think a lot of people are grading our team and coaches on a scale of a typical season. COVID-19 has had a major affect on practices, and likely physically on individual players. I know that all teams have had to go through it, but everyone's mileage likely varies quite a bit. So, there are a lot of unknowns in that department.

Having said all that, I like what coach Pruitt said after the game, and I believe like you said, we have a great opportunity to change gears, and prepare a lot of players to get on the field, who haven't had much chance yet. I believe COVID-19 has affected us a lot more than many other teams, especially UGA and Bama - and probably UK as well. We really needed the Spring for our freshman QB and receivers, and I don't think Fall practice was much better. Let's see where we are after the Arky game. I expect to see some steady improvement.

I recall last year after 3 or 4 games. These message boards had people firing everyone from the water boy, all the way up to the Governor. We all know what happened after we got past Alabama. Well, I expect we will see much the same scenario for the rest of the season...Am I predicting that we win out? No, but I have hopes, and even expectations, for gradual improvements in all areas.

I don't think this team is done. We are not at an elite level yet. There is no doubt about that, but we have some pieces that can at least get us pretty close.

Parting note: I think Alabama and Clemson are at elite levels that are going to be hard for anyone to match. They are probably going to have to come back to the pack. This will likely require Nick Saban to retire, and for Trevor Lawrence to move on to the NFL, or be injured. Hopefully, our own coach has learned enough from Saban to have implemented a system like Saban's, that will get us there, and keep us there for a long time. It's way more about the system than it is about on the field stuff, anyway.

You know it is a sad sad season when you are hoping Vandy does not cancel their season so that we can hope for our 3rd win!!!!

VN Store

Back