Tennessee QB records as a starter since 1980

I agree. It is. But how often have you heard "Tom Brady's Super Bowl Wins" vs "The Patriots Wins"? The QB gets the majority of the credit ...fair or not. It goes both ways though. If JG was awful but the team found a way to win and be undefeated, all the JG boys would be spewing his W/L record. That is an indisputable fact.

It's the hole the Stat Slurpers dug for themselves. They wanna use stats for every argument until a stat pops up they don't like. Like this one.

JGs W/L record speaks for itself. Stats don't lie
Valid stats don’t lie. This one, on the other hand, has Tee Martin ranked above Peyton Manning and Sterling Henton ahead of Heath Shuler.

Man, I remember thinking going into 2002 we were about to OWN the SEC. Spurrier retired, we just missed the BCSNCG the previous year, skull drug Michigan in the bowl game. Life was damn good.

Lol at me.

First drive. Looked really impressive. Heard calls for him when it was between him and Shuler for the job. Soldiered on without complaint.
Yep. I know the family and had an insider's angle on that battle. Heath had more physical talent but the mental part came easier to Jerry. They were friends and Colquitt helped Heath with the playbook iirc even after Heath became the starter. I think an opportunity for Jerry may have also played into Heath's decision to leave early.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Steve Alatorre - 8-6
Jeff Olszewksi - 3-4
Alan Cockrell - 17-8-1
Tony Robinson - 11-5
Daryl Dickey - 6-0-2
Jeff Francis - 22-13-1
Sterling Henton - 5-1
Andy Kelly - 24-5-2
Heath Shuler - 19-5
Jerry Colquitt - 0-1
Todd Helton - 1-2
Peyton Manning - 39-6
Tee Martin - 22-3
Joey Matthews - 1-0
A.J. Suggs - 1-3
Casey Clausen - 34-10
James Banks - 1-0
CJ Leak - 0-1
Brent Schaeffer - 3-0
Rick Clausen - 6-4
Erik Ainge - 25-12
Jonathan Crompton - 10-10
Nick Stephens - 2-4
Tyler Bray - 13-11
Matt Simms - 2-8
Justin Worley - 8-9
Nathan Peterman - 0-2
Josh Dobbs - 23-12
Will McBride - 0-1
Quinten Dormady - 3-2
Jarrett Guarantano - 9-17
JT Shrout - 1-0
Brian Maurer - 2-2

What began with Andy Kelly ended with Casey Clausen.

The sport of it. Probably the same reason a cat plays with a dying mouse. Poke it and see if it tries to run again.
Yea, but the best way to deal him is to not engage him. He fears being ignored far more than being proven wrong. He would NEVER acknowledge being proven wrong anyway.

What is the story on Jerry Colquitt starting a game at quarterback?
Blew out his knee at UCLA I believe. Real shame.
Yep... I think he lasted about 7 plays. One of the saddest things I’ve ever seen.
And the NCAA refused to give him a medical redshirt. He would have gotten a medical redshirt without question if it happened now.

Probably worked out the best for UT, because we got Manning's sophomore season.... , but it will never be anything less than a tragedy for Jerry Colquitt. Colquitt has sort of been forgotten by casual fans because he was sandwiched between Shuler & Manning's legacies, but Shuler didn't fully win the starting spot & relegate Colquitt to the bench until after we upset GA in 92.

Didn't Colquitt end up playing in NFL Europe or the CFL for a few years?

Wish Bray had played on a team with a better D. He was fun to watch in '12.
I remember being in third down situations and not even caring no matter the distance. We had the ability on offense to gain any yardage necessary. CP was amazing to watch. EDIT: Unfortunately, our defense was the same way, no matter the distance, 3rd and Sunseri.

People love him now, but many forget how ambivalent the fanbase was towards him when he was here. If memory serves he only lost one game on the road the entire time he was here.

I have never understood it - perhaps it was because he followed Peyton and Tee, and as many games as Clausen won he didn't win quite at their level? I dunno.
I'm gonna paraphrase because I don't remember the exact quotes.

2001 After we beat FL to play in the SECC vs LSU.
Casey Clausen "One more game to win then it's home to the Rose Bowl."

2002 preseason when we started off ranked like #3-#5(I can't remember)
Casey Clausen "We feel anything short of a National Championship will be a disappointment".

It's 50/50. Because he followed them & didnt win at their level was half of it. He brought the other half on himself by coming across brash & cocky with a few zingers here and there like the ones I quoted.

Reactions: 08Vol
Steve Alatorre - 8-6
Jeff Olszewksi - 3-4
Alan Cockrell - 17-8-1
Tony Robinson - 11-5
Daryl Dickey - 6-0-2
Jeff Francis - 22-13-1
Sterling Henton - 5-1
Andy Kelly - 24-5-2
Heath Shuler - 19-5
Jerry Colquitt - 0-1
Todd Helton - 1-2
Peyton Manning - 39-6
Tee Martin - 22-3
Joey Matthews - 1-0
A.J. Suggs - 1-3
Casey Clausen - 34-10
James Banks - 1-0
CJ Leak - 0-1
Brent Schaeffer - 3-0
Rick Clausen - 6-4
Erik Ainge - 25-12
Jonathan Crompton - 10-10
Nick Stephens - 2-4
Tyler Bray - 13-11
Matt Simms - 2-8
Justin Worley - 8-9
Nathan Peterman - 0-2
Josh Dobbs - 23-12
Will McBride - 0-1
Quinten Dormady - 3-2
Jarrett Guarantano - 9-17
JT Shrout - 1-0
Brian Maurer - 2-2
17 is a lot of L’s

In the very early weeks of Coach P's tenure of HC at UT, he was asked in an interview about the importance of the quarterback position. He quickly replied, in general terms, that the position was not any more important than any other position. You all and correct my memory.

I don't believe he would make a similar statement today..........

Valid stats don’t lie. This one, on the other hand, has Tee Martin ranked above Peyton Manning and Sterling Henton ahead of Heath Shuler.
That's exactly my point....stats can be skewed to fit any agenda. @BigOrangeTrain isn't seeing my point either. All these worthless arguments with stat Slurpers who pick and choose what they wanna use to prove their absurd agendas just got thrown out the window. It just proves that you can't base the worth of player solely on stats. But if they wanna live and die by the stats, then they have to accept this one as well regardless of how skewed it is. In their own language, stats don't lie.

As I have stated a dozen times...

JG is the ONLY UT passer in the modern era to be a 3 year or even 2 full year starter and have a LOSING RECORD!!!!

What a damn disgrace.

35% winning %....1 in 3 games.. and unlike Bray, we have had decent defenses with JG here. Even with him killing their stats from all the 3 and outs, fumbles, interceptions....they are still top half of the mighty SEC. Example: right now our DEFENSE has only given up 21 points in the last 6 quarters .....JG BY HIMSELF has given up 31 points. All by himself...

THE WORST QB at UT in my 43 years
You are going to send K-Town King to the hospital. Have mercy on him. LOL!

There's clearly a correlation between usage and efficiency. If he is asked to throw as much as some of the other QBs on that list his efficiency #s would certainly be worse.
This. Plus I know Manning is not on this list but his efficiency stats during his last year were below Shuler’s and Dobb’s last year. I looked at those three just a few weeks ago.

Wow. That's bad.

And before the predictable "talent" complaint... the O Crompton led was less talented than any JG has led and FAR less talented than this one. The Sullins Bros were OG and C. The RT weighed no more than 275 lbs. They had one credible RB... with bum knees. Gerald Jones led the team in receiving. Moore was obviously good but that receiving corps was nowhere near as deep or talented as the ones JG has had.

I thought Kiffin did a great job patching that team together.
W/L are what we are looking for. Not passer rating.

Reactions: sjt18

VN Store

Back