'22 TN QB Ty Simpson (Alabama commit)

He was hired 12 days before ESD in 2017. Shutout was committed to Cal and flipped to UT. Who did you want Pruitt to get that late in the process?

Maurer has shown ability and flash but couldn’t stay on the field due to injury. Are you blaming Pruitt for Maurer’s injuries? We still truly don’t know what we have in Maurer.

HB was highly rated. He missed regular spring ball due to covid. Are you blaming Pruitt for covid?
Sure. Why not?

JG hasn't developed at all. His supporting cast has become better which makes him look better, but he is still the exact same QB as he has always been. He was mediocre in high school and nothing has changed in college.
His supporting cast sure has not gotten better (for this year) when he just lost his TEs, wr1, and wr2. But I'm really talking decision making and having urgency to make timely throws. Looking at the process/decisions, he is improving. It is nice for him to finally not have a bottom 2 sec rushing attack slowing the offense down. That helps.

I would say the problem is we can't find/ or coach up anyone better than him. The QBs on the roster haven't beat out JG and the Maryland transfer or Keller Chryst couldn't either. JG is the floor and in the 3rd year all the other QBs are in the cellar.
I have been saying this for months. There is one of two problems. We, as a staff, are either poor developers of QB talent, or poor evaluators of QB talent. There really is no other option. Three years to fix JG or recruit and develop his replacement. Yet, here we are. Maybe Bailey is the guy, and unfortunate circumstances have held him back. I don't know. What I do know is that you should almost have accidentally found someone better than our incumbent, at this point. And I say that as someone who thinks JG played really well for a half against UGA. But then the bottom fell out, he played scared, again, and crumbled under pressure. Not all his fault, to be certain, but he never adjusted.

Reactions: volsfan_17
I have been saying this for months. There is one of two problems. We, as a staff, are either poor developers of QB talent, or poor evaluators of QB talent. There really is no other option. Three years to fix JG or recruit and develop his replacement. Yet, here we are. Maybe Bailey is the guy, and unfortunate circumstances have held him back. I don't know. What I do know is that you should almost have accidentally found someone better than our incumbent, at this point. And I say that as someone who thinks JG played really well for a half against UGA. But then the bottom fell out, he played scared, again, and crumbled under pressure. Not all his fault, to be certain, but he never adjusted.

What don’t you guys understand about the following:

Shrout threw 25 INTs his SR year in FREAKING HIGH SCHOOL so to think he’d be a high level SEC caliber starter is a smidge ridiculous.

Maurer took over for JG last year and then suffered injury probs. And has been hampered by injuries again this season in camp.

HB didn’t get to have spring ball snaps like he would normally due to covid. Highly unlikely he’d be ready. Give him a minute.

What don’t you guys understand about the following:

Shrout threw 25 INTs his SR year in FREAKING HIGH SCHOOL so to think he’d be a high level SEC caliber starter is a smidge ridiculous.
If he can't cut it, then why did we take him? My guess is that the staff imagined there were enough raw tools to work with. You can't say, "This kid sucked in high school, what should we expect", and then not either question the decision to offer him a scholarship, or question the ability to get him prepared to play. No one is suggesting he's the talent level of Joe Montana, but he isn't tasked with overtaking Tom Brady, either. His failure to even push JG as a rSO points to some level of failure by the staff either in evaluation or preperation.

Maurer took over for JG last year and then suffered injury probs. And has been hampered by injuries again this season in camp.
The only injury I am aware of is the hamstring injury suffered early in fall camp. Is he still suffering from it this many weeks later?

HB didn’t get to have spring ball snaps like he would normally due to covid. Highly unlikely he’d be ready. Give him a minute.
Already noted that HB may be the answer and have previously acknowledged his unfortunate circumstances. Not sure why that went ignored. I don't think anyone expected him to come in with no spring ball and limited falls snaps and take over.

Reactions: volsfan_17
Ty Simpson reminds me of a guy I played against back in the day (late 80's) Frankie DeBusk from Greeneville.

Pruitt recruited those dudes so he is to blame.

I agree. It was really stupid for Pruitt--who inherited a team coming off an 0-8 SEC schedule--to have turned down all of those 5* QBs who would have crawled to Knoxville. :rolleyes:

What's missing in all of this is the fact that Tyson Helton appears to have had a major hand in who we recruited at QB in the first year. How much? I don't know, but there have been consistent rumors that Helton was not the best evaluator of QB talent. I thought not pursuing Sam Howell at the time was a big mistake by this staff.

I do think this staff needs to get better in certain areas of recruit evaluation, but ignoring he slim pickings available in year 1 as opposed to year 3 (HB, Salter) is unfair.

If one of you was willing to drive to Miami to pick up Torrance Gibson surely someone is willing to drive within the state.
Who’s going to drive him BACK? That was the ultimate issue with Gibson.

VN Store

Back