Lady Vols hit the Court first day of practice.

#13 (Green) looks quick....Her first step was outstanding....Not a lot of views, but like anything of beauty, a lot is not required to appreciate the possibilities....

I was pleased to see Saunders (#31) moving freely, and not looking timid, but like a ball player that wants to see some game time this season......

Burrell (#12) is a hustler....She is a fast ball player that will see lots of game time....She could be a key to a good season...

Suarez (#33) is going to be a banger...She is built for contact...

The guards look very quick.....It was a good first day of practice.

And coach Kellie looks fabulous
Kellie-Harper-practice-1024x682.jpg

Burrell looks awesome and the quickness she showed in the video is much faster than she ever was last season. Key hasn't bulked much hopefully she has learned a lot about playing in the post I still wonder how she is going to handle the bulky centers in the league. KK also looks a little quicker and slimmer hopefully she can give us a big season. Horston has certainly matured body wise a lot thicker and hopefully stronger. I like little Walker a player we've been needing for a long time. I really like what I see out of Green she looks SEC ready to me. Suarez looks a little overweight probably needs to drop about 10 to 15 pounds. Salary looks like a player that will be in the rotation. Saunders looks again to be limited in playing time. She looks stronger but still a little slow of foot.

I don't think we'll play four inside players that much looks like Key, KK, and Green will handle most of the minutes in there. I guess Walker and Horston at the point with Horston probably also playing some two guard. Burrell looks like the starting two to me and Davis at the three. I think Salary makes the rotation which makes 8 players and then have no idea after that. I guess Renne may get a few minutes maybe Suarez. I didn't see Darby and McCoy. Hopefully UT will release more practice videos and maybe even a schedule in the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
#13 (Green) looks quick....Her first step was outstanding....Not a lot of views, but like anything of beauty, a lot is not required to appreciate the possibilities....

I was pleased to see Saunders (#31) moving freely, and not looking timid, but like a ball player that wants to see some game time this season......

Burrell (#12) is a hustler....She is a fast ball player that will see lots of game time....She could be a key to a good season...

Suarez (#33) is going to be a banger...She is built for contact...

The guards look very quick.....It was a good first day of practice.

And coach Kellie looks fabulous

Funny, I was actually a little concerned watching Saunders (with the big caveat that this is a short clip from day one) but she looked kind of slow and cumbersome.

The reality is that we don't know how well each player was able to adapt to the constraints of the Covid-19 restrictions and some might be further down the conditioning curve than others at this early point.

Funny, I was actually a little concerned watching Saunders (with the big caveat that this is a short clip from day one) but she looked kind of slow and cumbersome.

The reality is that we don't know how well each player was able to adapt to the constraints of the Covid-19 restrictions and some might be further down the conditioning curve than others at this early point.

I wanted to say something positive about Saunders...The girl will not likely ever be a star, but if she can contribute some, that may be good enough.

I wanted to say something positive about Saunders...The girl will not likely ever be a star, but if she can contribute some, that may be good enough.

Fair enough! I appreciate that sentiment but when someone signs up for high aspiration D1 program, they are also signing up to have their skills sets critically looked at. Saunders has size, which as they say you can't coach and decent post moves. Her liability is quickness and mobility,. She can improve on these dimension but only so far given genetic predispositions (fast v. slow twitch fiber balance and son on). So, she and the staff will have to find a play style for her where she maximize her skills and mask some of her weaknesses. I would have like to have seen her bulk up a bit so she could become a "banger in the post". But again, Covid may have really restricted her access to training equipment.

Do most Women’s teams use male practice players and do the practice players get any benefit besides a workout?

Actually they get many benefits,,,Males learn from the gitgo to use one hand throughout the layup process with the off-hand for fending, while girls who start with the "two-hand from the belly" pickup at a younger age because they aren't taught well,,,SO if the girls defend it, they understand its purpose.

Most guys shoot from the temple, while most girls shoot from the shoulder,,,if they face the proper mechanics, they can see and learn the benefit of releasing the ball at a higher point because they see how much more difficult it is to block a ball shot from the temple.

Guys have a more even torso-to-leg ratio, while most females have longer legs and shorter torso,,,since guys have a more equal balance of leg-torso, they use their shorter legs to gain leverage against taller athletes, thus the females who are equal in height, but disproportionate upper/lower lengths learn that its not the taller person who gets leverage, it is the one whose knees are closer to the ground,

Lastly, guys love to show off and they love even more to teach,,so, when a female shows sincere interest in a guys skills, the guys become natural nurturers and can often teach someone their own age better than us much older coaches.

Plus many more lessons can be gained from girls working with boys...I have incorporated this practice for years and my girls benefit from it.

Funny, but there is no question that the lack of athleticism at the 5 and at the Lou Brown position last year was a big problem. Hopefully it can be fixed at the Brown position at least this year.

If Tamari has worked in her foot positioning to play good D i’ll worry less about it. i think we all know KK is going in there to put a body on someone and even she looked slimmer. I think TKs big thing will be not giving into fatigue and hauling tail down the court to where other opponents out. I am excited to watch her growth!

Reactions: GameTime
Do most Women’s teams use male practice players and do the practice players get any benefit besides a workout?

Most women sports use male practice players. Some likes to volunteer while few get little assistance with their tuition. But most students would do it for free to get shoes and jerseys free.

VN Store

Back