'21 GA OT Amarius Mims (Georgia commit)

We'll continue to work him til he signs. Same for Rod Orr. Maybe we;ll flip one, maybe we won't. If not, OT becomes a pressing need for the next class. Have to get over this hump of not landing blue chip OL talent. Can't rest on "well two years ago we signed Morris and Wright". That was two years ago. Pruitt needs to figure out why blue chip OL aren't coming here. I have faith he will.

We'll continue to work him til he signs. Same for Rod Orr. Maybe we;ll flip one, maybe we won't. If not, OT becomes a pressing need for the next class. Have to get over this hump of not landing blue chip OL talent. Can't rest on "well two years ago we signed Morris and Wright". That was two years ago. Pruitt needs to figure out why blue chip OL aren't coming here. I have faith he will.
Saban wanted Parker REALLY bad, Gooch flipped from Auburn, and Smith is a 4* on 247 that was highly ranked and somehow dropped despite no camps. All three commits are sought after guys by big programs. Missing on a guy that's been likely headed to UGA the entire time doesn't mean that good o-linemen aren't coming to UT.

Players love Georgia and Kirby for some strange reason. My hate for Georgia has increased and I really hope they get destroyed by bama this weekend. I never thought I would say that cause I've always hated bama more until recently.
Right there with you. I have family in Middle Ga, some in Cochran.

Saban wanted Parker REALLY bad, Gooch flipped from Auburn, and Smith is a 4* on 247 that was highly ranked and somehow dropped despite no camps. All three commits are sought after guys by big programs. Missing on a guy that's been likely headed to UGA the entire time doesn't mean that good o-linemen aren't coming to UT.

Yeah, I've said in other posts that hopefully they work out. That doesn't make them blue chips, tho, which is the point I was making. Nothing I said was factually incorrect. I'm putting emotion aside and using logic. Logic says we want to sign blue chip OL. Reality is, we have not done that since Morris and Wright 2 years ago. It's not simply Mims. We've missed out on any blue chip OL. That's a problem. I guarantee Pruitt sees it as a problem. That doesn't make him (or me) unhappy with who we've gotten, but the goal is to always be getting better.

Reactions: MemphisVol3
Yeah, I've said in other posts that hopefully they work out. That doesn't make them blue chips, tho, which is the point I was making. Nothing I said was factually incorrect. I'm putting emotion aside and using logic. Logic says we want to sign blue chip OL. Reality is, we have not done that since Morris and Wright 2 years ago. It's not simply Mims. We've missed out on any blue chip OL. That's a problem. I guarantee Pruitt sees it as a problem. That doesn't make him (or me) unhappy with who we've gotten, but the goal is to always be getting better.
Are you considering only 5* players as "blue chip"?

4* OL are also blue chip recruits, not just 5*.

Cooper Mays was 247composite 4*.

Are you considering only 5* players as "blue chip"?
The term is subjective, but I would consider some 4*'s blue chips as well. I wouldn't call any of our currently committed OL blue chip. That doesn't mean they can't be good. Hopefully they are. But we're always talking about talent disparity on this board. Part of making that up is signing and developing blue chip recruits.

4* OL are also blue chip recruits, not just 5*.

Cooper Mays was 247composite 4*.
Yeah in the recruiting world, most consider 4-star and 5-star recruits as blue chips. Hence why they talk about the high percentage that UGA, Bama, etc. have on their overall teams. UGA probably has had about 20 or so 5-star players going back to the last 4 or so cycles but I believe they say their overall roster is composed of about 80% blue chip players. I think our roster is probably in that 40-50% range right now but as mentioned in past posts, the majority of our most talented guys are freshmen and sophomores.

The term is subjective, but I would consider some 4*'s blue chips as well. I wouldn't call any of our currently committed OL blue chip. That doesn't mean they can't be good. Hopefully they are. But we're always talking about talent disparity on this board. Part of making that up is signing and developing blue chip recruits.
It would be nice to load up on 5* and high 4* o-linemen, but that position is such a developmental position. It's the one position where I think recruiting ranking doesn't matter as much. If you've paid attention to recruiting and the draft over the last 20 years, the norm is having low ranked guys develop into NFL draft picks and 5* guys not really live up to their rankings. Some guys are underdeveloped out of high school due to a lack of strength and nutrition programs, a lot of high ranked players get that ranking from camps where they're not really hitting...it's just a lot harder to project o-linemen, and college coaches have said the same thing.

About the coaching. Friend is boof
This post may be better suited for the general recruiting thread but if we do let Friend go, who do you think we go after? Idk what all good OLine coaches are out there. I'm sure we'd likely have try to poach someone from somewhere though. I remember when we all wanted to believe Friend was in or near that same tier as Pittman lol...I wanted to believe Covid played a part since those guys didn't get much time together, but seeing they played much better the first two games, even with just general assignments than they did against UGA, I'm just not sure. Likely a combination of factors I suppose.

Reactions: TrippieRedd

It’s not a subjective term if you want to apply it to results on the field.

Blue chips are 5* and 4*.

I’m sure you’ve heard of the blue chip ratio - the ratio of blue chips on your team vs non blue chips which can show which teams actually have a chance at a title.

Blue-Chip Ratio 2020: The 15 teams who can win a national title

Cooper Mays was a blue chip recruit (4*).

Reactions: butchna
We have four five star guys playing on our OL now. They **** the bed last week. Not always about the ranking.
unless it's TN...where 5*'s come to bust, and 3*'s never over acheive................................................

did i do that right?

200w.gif

It would be nice to load up on 5* and high 4* o-linemen, but that position is such a developmental position. It's the one position where I think recruiting ranking doesn't matter as much. If you've paid attention to recruiting and the draft over the last 20 years, the norm is having low ranked guys develop into NFL draft picks and 5* guys not really live up to their rankings. Some guys are underdeveloped out of high school due to a lack of strength and nutrition programs, a lot of high ranked players get that ranking from camps where they're not really hitting...it's just a lot harder to project o-linemen, and college coaches have said the same thing.
this is the correct take.

it's time to move on from Friend

This post may be better suited for the general recruiting thread but if we do let Friend go, who do you think we go after? Idk what all good OLine coaches are out there. I'm sure we'd likely have try to poach someone from somewhere though. I remember when we all wanted to believe Friend was in or near that same tier as Pittman lol...I wanted to believe Covid played a part since those guys didn't get much time together, but seeing they played much better the first two games, even with just general assignments than they did against UGA, I'm just not sure. Likely a combination of factors I suppose.
Poach Kentucky’s OL coach.

if he can get a bunch of 3 star kids to play like a top 5 line in the conference, imagine what he could do with Tennessee’s resources

John Schlarman (UK's OL coach) makes nearly half the salary Will Friend makes. Let that sink in.
And his o-line will get crushed just as much as our o-line when they play UGA. I think we've got too many people jumping to conclusions. A lot of our o-linemen are still trying to catch up mentally and physically from missing a lot of practice from COVID/quarantine. Mizzou isn't a great team, but their run defense has looked pretty solid outside of the game against our o-line. There's a good chance our o-line handles every defense left on the schedule (including a solid performance against Bama) and gets better every week. Everyone can have their own take, but I want to see how they play on Saturday. They should absolutely handle Kentucky's front seven. You have to have a national championship level o-line to hold your own against UGA's front seven and our group isn't there right now.

Why don’t we just put you on staff since you’re making all the right calls?

Rocker was developing guys, but not recruiting.... ultimately he was let go...

Friend was gift wrapped a 5 star offensive line with a 6th year center and got embarrassed on national TV..
Friend is "meh" at both recruiting and developing.. There's still time to change that narrative this season, but personally IMO its time to move on at the end of the year...

Rocker was developing guys, but not recruiting.... ultimately he was let go...

Friend was gift wrapped a 5 star offensive line with a 6th year center and got embarrassed on national TV..
Friend is "meh" at both recruiting and developing.. There's still time to change that narrative this season, but personally IMO its time to move on at the end of the year...
I’m just trying to point out the fact that the poster constantly is of the opinion he knows better than the whole staff. But alas, I agree with you.

Reactions: yourstruly23
I’m just trying to point out the fact that the poster constantly is of the opinion he knows better than the whole staff. But alas, I agree with you.

Then put me on ignore if my posts bother you that much. I can promise you I do not care, my man. This is a message board where people go to express their takes/ opinions.

My take is John Schlarman does more with less. That is objectively true.

VN Store

Back