'21 GA CB Nyland Green (UGA commit)

How do we know there is some extent Kirby is going that we won’t?

He hasn’t gotten in trouble for anything and nothing has hurt them with recruiting overall.

I bought into the whole “Kirby is doing some stuff and we’ll see the negative effects on their recruiting”. It didn’t happen.

I can’t stand the guy but if he’s cheating, he’s good at hiding it.

If he’s pissing off recruits or their families, he seems to be pretty dang good at overcoming that.

At what point are we just becoming the sore loser fanbase that claims anyone who is excelling is cheating in a way that all other teams aren’t willing to do?

****Don’t come at me saying I’m defending Kirby. I’m not. I just don’t buy the idea that he’s doing some stuff that nobody else will do YET no coach, nor player, nor family member has turned him in. And they’ve had no real negative effect to their recruiting.
This + 100. If all of the information we are getting never pans out (or at least never pans out at a rate any higher than someone taking educated guesses based on a Rivals/247 subscription could be expected to produce), maybe the source of that information is faulty. It goes back to the timeless maxim that the simplest explanation is usually the right one.

Reactions: KnoxVol70
How do we know there is some extent Kirby is going that we won’t?

He hasn’t gotten in trouble for anything and nothing has hurt them with recruiting overall.

I bought into the whole “Kirby is doing some stuff and we’ll see the negative effects on their recruiting”. It didn’t happen.

I can’t stand the guy but if he’s cheating, he’s good at hiding it.

If he’s pissing off recruits or their families, he seems to be pretty dang good at overcoming that.

At what point are we just becoming the sore loser fanbase that claims anyone who is excelling is cheating in a way that all other teams aren’t willing to do?

****Don’t come at me saying I’m defending Kirby. I’m not. I just don’t buy the idea that he’s doing some stuff that nobody else will do YET no coach, nor player, nor family member has turned him in. And they’ve had no real negative effect to their recruiting.

I agree. If he's doing something we are not, then we need to be doing it. There are obviously no ill-effects from it. Otherwise, we just need to accept the fact that we will not win most of these recruiting battles and 20 point losses will be the norm going forward.

Unless something drastic changes I think our ceiling is probably beating up the low and mid-tier teams, and getting spanked by Bama, UGA, and FLA on a yearly basis. The amount of 4-5 stars on the UGA and Bama rosters is ridiculous, especially when compared to ours. This is what it is unless we, or something else, changes.

Reactions: overseasorange2
At this point I have to question this approach. Its pretty clear the SEC or NCAA will not do anything. Meanwhile we are getting owned in February and October.

Coaches never go to jail and always have deniability but someone does pay the price and loses everything. You want to be that guy? Go work on recruiting for Georgia.

I agree. If he's doing something we are not, then we need to be doing it. There are obviously no ill-effects from it. Otherwise, we just need to accept the fact that we will not win most of these recruiting battles and 20 point losses will be the norm going forward.

Unless something drastic changes I think our ceiling is probably beating up the low and mid-tier teams, and getting spanked by Bama, UGA, and FLA on a yearly basis. The amount of 4-5 stars on the UGA and Bama rosters is ridiculous, especially when compared to ours. This is what it is unless we, or something else, changes.

Disagree. We won’t continue to get spanked by them. Heck we haven’t even played Bama or FL this year so who knows what those games will look like. Also FL isn’t on Bama and UGA level of recruiting. Not even close.

My point was simply that we can’t rely on “he’s doing something shady and it’ll catch up to him”.

He either isn’t doing anything shady or he’s just really good at not getting caught or not having it affect their ability to recruit top tier players.

Reactions: ChiTownVol
Disagree. We won’t continue to get spanked by them. Heck we haven’t even played Bama or FL this year so who knows what those games will look like. Also FL isn’t on Bama and UGA level of recruiting. Not even close.

My point was simply that we can’t rely on “he’s doing something shady and it’ll catch up to him”.

He either isn’t doing anything shady or he’s just really good at not getting caught or not having it affect their ability to recruit top tier players.

What are you basing this on? No matter how much we improve year to year, we are still 20 points behind Bama and UGA when we play them. Look at the scores of the current streaks. It's almost embarrassing. Our roster isn't even in the same universe as those guys.

Florida is Florida - talent has never mattered in that game. We just lose it every year until we don't. That game has never made logical sense. It isn't explainable like UGA and Bama.

Coaches never go to jail and always have deniability but someone does pay the price and loses everything. You want to be that guy? Go work on recruiting for Georgia.

In fairness....I fully admit I don't know how all this works. All I know is UGA is winning and we aren't close. Bama too, for that matter. It sucks because unless somebody is caught or otherwise, we just have to live with it.

What are you basing this on? No matter how much we improve year to year, we are still 20 points behind Bama and UGA when we play them. Look at the scores of the current streaks. It's almost embarrassing. Our roster isn't even in the same universe as those guys.

Florida is Florida - talent has never mattered in that game. We just lose it every year until we don't. That game has never made logical sense. It isn't explainable like UGA and Bama.
meh.

the only thing we're not getting right now is the splash class that puts you on the map faster.

we've got two top 10 classes under our belt so far, and working on a 3rd.

the rsoter wasn't good when they got here and has been overhauled, especially on the O line......

defenisvely, we've made signficant strides, even w/out the benefit of all world top 5 talent across the board...hell we have two WR playing CB that are going to likely be on some version of all SEC lists.....

offensively, we need a QB....

we've gone from 0-8 in the SEC in 2017 to 5-3 in 2019.

news flash: UGA and Bama and Florida have been a head of us for a while now. hell, up until a couple years ago, USCe, Mizzou, Vandy all had winning streaks against us....to go along with the current streaks against the other 3.

you don't have to like it. but we're not yet ready to compete for SEC titles....and probably won't be for another year or two, at least. while UGA and Bama have show the ability to recruit their way to that level in relatively short order, TN has not been able to do that, and really, never has been able to do that....even when we were a top dog signing top 5 classes, we were still a development first program.

and that's where we are right now....develop the ones you have, and the ones you get.....when we've been able to get immediate contributors, they've contributed. the majority need time....and i honestly dont' care anymore about comparing us to this or that program. it really doesn't matter. cause we are where we are....and what happens someplace is inconsequential.

we need to continue to beef up the front 3-4 on defense...we need to continue to add depth to the OL and find/develop OT's...we need to get a QB developed....

but i really don't think we're light years behind anymore.....we went toe to toe with Bama physically last year until you know what happened. we went toe to toe with UGA physically, on defense anyway, and as a result was only down 2 freaking points in AThens headed to the 4th qtr....in both of those games had we had solid/good/better qb play...who knows....

but UGA's defense is legit. Bama's offense is legit. and across the board, we do not have the personnel yet to just go out and "handle" the difference between them and us in those match ups. the same has been tru with FL in a lot of cases....they seem to have just enough of an advantage in the right spots to be able to do what's needed when they play us.

the good news, we've bridged the gap, and in some cases passed, most everyone else in the SEC in my opinion.....other than those three programs, there's not another program i would just put an L next to on the schedule anymore.

anyway...........i'm not here to ruin a good bish session....but most of it is being done w/out any consideration of the context involved in TN football vs. the SEC as a whole.....

Bc that’s just stupid to say that we’ll get continue to get spanked by them.

1 - football is cyclical. At one time we spanked UGA and Bama every year. Did you know that or are you 12 years old?

2 - we are a stud QB away from competing with them. We led at half and were in the UGA game through 3 quarters. Not exactly being “spanked” up to that point. I’m not putting it all on JG (the OL was brutally bad) but JG isn’t a game changer. I’ve made it known I think HB will be that QB for us. He’s just not ready yet.

Our defense will continue to develop (also where most of our elite recruits come from) and will be our calling. They’ll keep us in every game.

Our O will have playmaking options and if you add a legit QB (I believe this to be HB when he’s ready - hoping to start next season) then those teams you fear so much will have to watch out. Start beating them every now and then and you have an even better shot at the elite recruits.

I seriously doubt the SEC or the NCAA care. Maybe if Kirby starts beating Saban in the regular the SEC might step in. It’s what happened at OM. Right now Daddy Saban still owns him and GA being good hurts us.
This is correct, the NCAA has no teeth and everyone knows it, they are happy collecting the checks, but your better watch out of your aren't one of the elite or money makers.

I agree. If he's doing something we are not, then we need to be doing it. There are obviously no ill-effects from it. .
this isn't very hard. he's not doing anything but capitalizing on what we all knew UGA could be if they ever found the right staff that "got it".
Kirby walked in to a program that was winning 9/10 games a year, was already a recruiting machine, and made it a focus to recruit Georgia....

the best thing that ever happened to Kirby Smart was when so many of the underclassmen that could have gone pro after his first year, decided to stay, especially the running backs and the majority of that front 7. that defense in Kirby's year 2 made a huge difference from year 1 to year 2.

Pruitt came in to a program that was a smoldering heap of dung....and has taken a program that was 0-8 in the SEC in 2017, and had them 5-3 in 2019...

not nearly as sexy as rose bowls as sugar bowls.........but relatively speaking.....that's significant.....if you bother to consider the whole picture that is.

Bc that’s just stupid to say that we’ll get continue to get spanked by them.

1 - football is cyclical. At one time we spanked UGA and Bama every year. Did you know that or are you 12 years old?

2 - we are a stud QB away from competing with them. We led at half and were in the UGA game through 3 quarters. Not exactly being “spanked” up to that point. I’m not putting it all on JG (the OL was brutally bad) but JG isn’t a game changer. I’ve made it known I think HB will be that QB for us. He’s just not ready yet.

Our defense will continue to develop (also where most of our elite recruits come from) and will be our calling. They’ll keep us in every game.

Our O will have playmaking options and if you add a legit QB (I believe this to be HB when he’s ready - hoping to start next season) then those teams you fear so much will have to watch out. Start beating them every now and then and you have an even better shot at the elite recruits.

It's not stupid. That is the current state of affairs and it doesn't look to be changing anytime soon. Look at the recruiting rankings and average player ratings of the rosters. We aren't close and won't be for the foreseeable future.

1 - There are kids in High school that have never seen us beat Bama. They probably don't even know it is possible. We are past cycles at this point. And yes, I do remember. How far away do you really think we are from flipping the current cycle? I really hope I eat crow, and I will be the first to admit it on here if it happens...but at this point I don't see any reason Bama doesn't roll off 20 in a row against us. Be it talent, officiating, whatever...we just can't beat the gumps and we have made it worse with pitiful management decisions over the last decade.

2 - You are what the record says. Our record says we can't come within 20 points of beating UGA since 2017. Every year it is the same...we are a OL away, we are a QB away, we are X away....then it never happens. We are a QB away? With 7 yards rushing in the first half behind a 5-star loaded OL? We were only leading at half because the spotted us 7 points in the first 60 seconds.

It sounds a lot like you are basing everything on hope. If so, fine. However, there is nothing on paper or in the meat of results that suggests we are close.

I will be a fan through and through until I die. But we need to admit to ourselves unless there is a fundamental change with something...we aren't close and nothing is going to change.

It's not stupid. That is the current state of affairs and it doesn't look to be changing anytime soon. Look at the recruiting rankings and average player ratings of the rosters. We aren't close and won't be for the foreseeable future.

1 - There are kids in High school that have never seen us beat Bama. They probably don't even know it is possible. We are past cycles at this point. And yes, I do remember. How far away do you really think we are from flipping the current cycle? I really hope I eat crow, and I will be the first to admit it on here if it happens...but at this point I don't see any reason Bama doesn't roll off 20 in a row against us. Be it talent, officiating, whatever...we just can't beat the gumps and we have made it worse with pitiful management decisions over the last decade.

2 - You are what the record says. Our record says we can't come within 20 points of beating UGA since 2017. Every year it is the same...we are a OL away, we are a QB away, we are X away....then it never happens. We are a QB away? With 7 yards rushing in the first half behind a 5-star loaded OL? We were only leading at half because the spotted us 7 points in the first 60 seconds.

It sounds a lot like you are basing everything on hope. If so, fine. However, there is nothing on paper or in the meat of results that suggests we are close.

I will be a fan through and through until I die. But we need to admit to ourselves unless there is a fundamental change with something...we aren't close and nothing is going to change.

In 2017 we went 0-8 in the SEC.

How in the F you don’t see us improving, considering we went 5-3 last season, is beyond me. Open your eyes. We’re coming, we’re just not there yet.

South Carolina, I repeat - SOUTH CAROLINA - beat UGA last year. Yet you believe this is some insurmountable task that can never be accomplished. I’m not saying we’re close to flipping the cycle of beating them every year. But we are very close to being in every game with them and pulling a few of them out. That’s all we need to change the narrative and level up.

If we don’t see it the same way, that’s ok.

How in the F you don’t see us improving, considering we went 5-3 last season, is beyond me. Open your eyes. We’re coming, we’re just not there yet.

South Carolina, I repeat - SOUTH CAROLINA - beat UGA last year. Yet you believe this is some insurmountable task that can never be accomplished. I’m not saying we’re close to flipping the cycle of beating them every year. But we are very close to being in every game with them and pulling a few of them out. That’s all we need to change the narrative and level up.

Some people can’t look past the packaging on the label. They’re like some of these recruits. They just follow the crowd and look for the shiny stuff. Smh.

I never said we weren't improving and no fair minded reader or one with good comprehension skills can say otherwise. I said we aren't improving against Bama and UGA. And its true. At the end of the day the scoreboard doesn't lie.

The USC/UGA tripe is tired out. We aren't USC. We are Tennessee, we are hated from the 90's and there is no more satisfaction than sticking it to us every year. UGA hates us and Bama has cigars on the ready. We aren't sneaking up on anyone.

We have closed the gap on everybody except Bama and GA, and we haven't come close on either of those. And for the love of all holy, I hope I eat crow this year with Bama.

Reactions: ChiTownVol

VN Store

Back