UT men’s basketball

I couldn't remember if he was JUCO or not. Anyone between Maze and Punter?

And what was with Maze? He was at Oklahoma at one point, right?
No one worth mentioning, really.

Maze was at OU, transferred to JUCO, and then to UT, as I remember. Originally from Baltimore area.

1. Seems a little early to be writing off Uros, shall I bump some of your old posts about Fulky and Pons?

2. Going way down the board? Care to enlighten us as to these new names?
1. You should just admit that you were wrong to write off jucos based on one anecdotal example.
2. I agree, it’s too early to write off Uros.
3. You can bump whatever you like. I don’t recall saying anything negative about Fulk. I was highly skeptical of Pons and am glad to be wrong.
4. they missed their top targets. So, anyone they are on now is lower on the board. Doesn’t require “names,” in my part. Is that really controvertible? Geez

As previously stated, it sucks to lose Smith, but we can fill the spot with grad transfers or with Fulky and Anosike staying another year.

1. You should just admit that you were wrong to write off jucos based on one anecdotal example.
2. I agree, it’s too early to write off Uros.
3. You can bump whatever you like. I don’t recall saying anything negative about Fulk. I was highly skeptical of Pons and am glad to be wrong.
4. they missed their top targets. So, anyone they are on now is lower on the board. Doesn’t require “names,” in my part. Is that really controvertible? Geez

1. Look around the country, typically you can’t expect much from a JUCO, especially in Year 1.

4. Every team misses some of their top targets, speaking like it’s some big negative is misleading...Duke and UK missed on their Top PG target Kennedy Chandler, Tennessee landed him. Very rare you see a team hit 1.000 on their top targets in a cycle.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
As previously stated, it sucks to lose Smith, but we can fill the spot with grad transfers or with Fulky and Anosike staying another year.
Honest question, to the board, if given the choice would you take 1 year of freshman Smith or 1 more year of senior Fulk?

Honest question, to the board, if given the choice would you take 1 year of freshman Smith or 1 more year of senior Fulk?
Selfishly with my orange glasses I would take another year of Fulk, but for future recruiting and optics, I would take 1 year of freshman Smith.

Fulk probably helps as much or more competitively for that season, but Smith being a 1 and done and being drafted high would probably speak more to future recruits (unless they win a championship with Fulk then the balance switches back to W/L results).

Reactions: Lefteye
Goins was either a JUCO or a transfer. I think a JUCO as I don’t recall him sitting out a year.
Going was a JUCO, as was Pops Ndiaye.

Bobby Maze, Melvin Goins, Dwight Miller, D’montre Edwards, Pops Ndiaye, Detrick Mostella, Kevin Punter, Devon Baulkman, Ray Kasongo, Chris Darrington.

I would say there’s probably 1 guy out of that group that would be impactful now at Tennessee, Kevin Punter.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

Bobby Maze, Melvin Goins, Dwight Miller, D’montre Edwards, Pops Ndiaye, Detrick Mostella, Kevin Punter, Devon Baulkman, Ray Kasongo, Chris Darrington.

I would say there’s probably 1 guy out of that group that would be impactful now at Tennessee, Kevin Punter.

I think that Mostella came in as a true freshman. One of my favorites that couldn’t stay on track. I thought that Dwight Miller was going to be a good player.

Was Daniel a JUCO or a transfer? Sometimes they are both. It seems like Kasongo transferred to a JUCO school and then to TN (and now he’s an NBA all-star I think).

Selfishly with my orange glasses I would take another year of Fulk, but for future recruiting and optics, I would take 1 year of freshman Smith.

Fulk probably helps as much or more competitively for that season, but Smith being a 1 and done and being drafted high would probably speak more to future recruits (unless they win a championship with Fulk then the balance switches back to W/L results).
I think the optics of Smith being drafted high (or any guy similar) is grossly overstated...what did Edwards gettifng drafted high do to Georgia? Imo from an optics standpoint it’s way more impressive what a staff does with a guy like Grant Williams/Jordan Bone/Admiral Schofield/Kyle Alexander than a guy who’s a lottery pick whether he goes to school or not.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I think that Mostella came in as a true freshman. One of my favorites that couldn’t stay on track. I thought that Dwight Miller was going to be a good player.

Was Daniel a JUCO or a transfer? Sometimes they are both. It seems like Kasongo transferred to a JUCO school and then to TN (and now he’s an NBA all-star I think).
Prep school for Mostella, you’re right...who’s Daniel? Kasongo was just inducted into the HOF.

I think the optics of Smith being drafted high (or any guy similar) is grossly overstated...what did Edwards gettifng drafted high do to Georgia? Imo from an optics standpoint it’s way more impressive what a staff does with a guy like Grant Williams/Jordan Bone/Admiral Schofield/Kyle Alexander than a guy who’s a lottery pick whether he goes to school or not.
That's completely different scenario/circumstances than what you asked. If UGA were where we've been the last few years then I think it'd be a different story. You asked about what we at UT would do, not what UGA would do. If we end up with multiple 1st Round players drafted then I think it adds to/changes the narrative a lot.

Of course finding a low 3-4 star player and turning them into a 1st Rounder/drafted player has a major impact on view of the program. You specifically asked about Fulk/Smith.

That's completely different scenario/circumstances than what you asked. If UGA were where we've been the last few years then I think it'd be a different story. You asked about what we at UT would do, not what UGA would do. If we end up with multiple 1st Round players drafted then I think it adds to/changes the narrative a lot.

Of course finding a low 3-4 star player and turning them into a 1st Rounder/drafted player has a major impact on view of the program. You specifically asked about Fulk/Smith.

I get that, but having Johnson/Springer/James/Chandler all coming through I don’t think 1 more guy changes the optics much, JMO. I’m not stating national championship but I think you win more with Fulk than you probably would Smith, which coupled with a couple first rounders I don’t think Smith changes the view recruits would have. JMO

I really don't see optics and recruiting being a future pro or con. The idea we can predictably calculate what any recruit will do based on precedence is nil, in my opinion. Each individual recruit is highly different as to why they choose their school of choice.

1. Look around the country, typically you can’t expect much from a JUCO, especially in Year 1.

4. Every team misses some of their top targets, speaking like it’s some big negative is misleading...Duke and UK missed on their Top PG target Kennedy Chandler, Tennessee landed him. Very rare you see a team hit 1.000 on their top targets in a cycle.
Typically? Ok. That is a complete diversion from what I challenged. For example, Pons didn’t contribute much as a freshman or sophomore. My judgment on him was premature.

Yep, recruiting is a tough game. Even tougher when your former coach is consistently whipping your ass on the court and recruiting trail.

Btw, why don’t you pull of some of my old comments on Fulk. I’ve always been a staunch advocate for him

Barnes should recruit ALL available possibilities. Not sure why that’s not something we’d all agree on.

Like Barnes did last year, but all the hilljacks with their recency bias won't remember, or perhaps just won't acknowledge that fact because it doesn't play into their "what have you done for me lately" agenda.

Mostella wasn't a JUCO. The rest were.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
Typically? Ok. That is a complete diversion from what I challenged. For example, Pons didn’t contribute much as a freshman or sophomore. My judgment on him was premature.

Yep, recruiting is a tough game. Even tougher when your former coach is consistently whipping your ass on the court and recruiting trail.

Btw, why don’t you pull of some of my old comments on Fulk. I’ve always been a staunch advocate for him

Barnes should recruit ALL available possibilities. Not sure why that’s not something we’d all agree on.
On the court, I'll give you that. Barnes (@TN) is 3-6 vs Pearl (@AU). That needs to get fixed.

But on the recruiting trail? Who are all these recruits Pearl has taken from Tennessee? Jabari Smith, and maybe Dylan Cardwell. Meanwhile, Keon Johnson, Jaden Springer, Corey Walker, Josiah James, and DJ Burns all had Auburn offers and chose Tennessee. Again, that sounds a lot more like recency bias than anything factual.

On the court, I'll give you that. Barnes (@TN) is 3-6 vs Pearl (@AU). That needs to get fixed.

But on the recruiting trail? Who are all these recruits Pearl has taken from Tennessee? Jabari Smith, and maybe Dylan Cardwell. Meanwhile, Keon Johnson, Jaden Springer, Corey Walker, Josiah James, and DJ Burns all had Auburn offers and chose Tennessee. Again, that sounds a lot more like recency bias than anything factual.
Don't forget Keon's mom was a star basketball player at Auburn. We may think because he was a Tennessee kid, he shoud have been an automatic commit but he choose UT over Auburn even with that factor.

VN Store

Back