Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Likely not going to fly this year, makes sense.

very true it makes our out of conference scheduling look a tad different. I think the SEC schedule will def be telling and can help uplift tourney chances with limited scheduling of out of conference games. The SEC ranking (while i think the conference was 4th last year) i think will help teams.

very true it makes our out of conference scheduling look a tad different. I think the SEC schedule will def be telling and can help uplift tourney chances with limited scheduling of out of conference games. The SEC ranking (while i think the conference was 4th last year) i think will help teams.

If we can replace ND or UConn types with Austin Peay types, it would help the optics.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
The best non conference schedule is to take three or four of the top teams in country and the rest mid-majors that are competent winners then along with the SEC you have a schedule that if you win a few more than you lose will get you to the NCAA every year. Your mid-majors have to be winners can't be the 3 and 25 teams that Holly loaded the schedule with. We suffered badly even last season as all the mid-majors on the schedule were big losers and even though you beat those teams you get no help on your sos and rpi if they don't win in their league and finish with a decent record. I think we had one team with 2 wins last year a couple more with three and some with like six or seven that is why we were suffering even with a 10 and 6 SEC record of being on the bubble.

Kentucky just got that much better. The only thing they lacked last season was size. Even if Owens isn't a big time scorer, she's a big body that will help with UK's poor rebounding. A starting lineup of Patterson, Howard, McKinney, Edwards and Owen with Hunt/Wyatt as first subs will be a tough outing for most teams. They will probably be a solid #3 in the SEC, with a chance to threaten MSST for the #2 spot.

I saw that Miksell got immediate eligibility too. Don't know if Shakira applied, but seems reasonable that she would get her waiver approved too. I wonder if something was rotten down in College Park that resulted in them being allowed to play right away...

Kentucky just got that much better. The only thing they lacked last season was size. Even if Owens isn't a big time scorer, she's a big body that will help with UK's poor rebounding. A starting lineup of Patterson, Howard, McKinney, Edwards and Owen with Hunt/Wyatt as first subs will be a tough outing for most teams. They will probably be a solid #3 in the SEC, with a chance to threaten MSST for the #2 spot.

I saw that Miksell got immediate eligibility too. Don't know if Shakira applied, but seems reasonable that she would get her waiver approved too. I wonder if something was rotten down in College Park that resulted in them being allowed to play right away...

Mitchell has done well with other teams recruits ! This new transfer ruling may help this character better than most other teams ! JMO

Mitchell has done well with other teams recruits ! This new transfer ruling may help this character better than most other teams ! JMO
I think the new transfer ruling will help/hurt schools pretty equally across the board.

The ones that I think will suffer are the ones that are 5-star laden from top to bottom (SC, UConn) and the ones that are trending downwards. Good teams that missed out on key positions (MSST in 2022 comes to mind) will probably make out like a bandit.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I believe the new transfer rule will help the 5-star laden school because the starting 5 and possibly the non starters getting meaningful minutes will stay. The others will transfer giving room for the 5-star laden schools additional scholarships to recruit more potential 5-star starters from the next class. So the best of each class will continue to be at the top schools while the ones getting the transfers will still to not be able to compete with the 5-star laden schools.

I believe the new transfer rule will help the 5-star laden school because the starting 5 and possibly the non starters getting meaningful minutes will stay. The others will transfer giving room for the 5-star laden schools additional scholarships to recruit more potential 5-star starters from the next class. So the best of each class will continue to be at the top schools while the ones getting the transfers will still to not be able to compete with the 5-star laden schools.

I agree. This will give the coaching staffs of already-stacked teams a valuable opportunity to choose from players who will have had experience/success at the college level. While it’s terrific for the student-athletes, this rule has the potential to erase the progress that’s been made toward parity in a short period of time.

Reactions: PRG
I agree. This will give the coaching staffs of already-stacked teams a valuable opportunity to choose from players who will have had experience/success at the college level. While it’s terrific for the student-athletes, this rule has the potential to erase the progress that’s been made toward parity in a short period of time.
If i were to pick the one school to most benefit from the rule it would be Texas. With Vic entrenched in place, players know they will get top shelf coaching. It's roster has several holes and the availability for playing time is abundant. Looking at the rosters and recruits for the top 4-5 teams in the country, they are laden with 5 stars and newcomers will have fierce competition for playing time. But teams with new top flight coaches, like texas and M State and Notre Dame, and teams that will finish below top 5 will be looking to boost their rosters with the promise to be the missing pieces in a run at the championship.

Reactions: mcannon1
I think that Lawson will be a great coach. She's smart, articulate and knows the game. I also think her bona fides will get the respect of her players and impress potential recruits. Why she didn't land in Knoxville puzzles me. Does anyone know if she was offered or did the AD shy away because of her lack of coaching experience.

Who knows, maybe her current position will be just a waypoint in her coaching career.

I think that Lawson will be a great coach. She's smart, articulate and knows the game. I also think her bona fides will get the respect of her players and impress potential recruits. Why she didn't land in Knoxville puzzles me. Does anyone know if she was offered or did the AD shy away because of her lack of coaching experience.

Who knows, maybe her current position will be just a waypoint in her coaching career.

It could happen,,,,,I mean COach K got here, by way of Missouri

All I know is this board was brimming with comments mocking anyone for even thinking Lawson should even be in the conversation at all, much less Phil give her serious consideration. Those folks were suggesting that if Phil were to have Lawson on his list of candidates that it would be proof he shouldn't be an AD.

She was always my first choice because I’ve paid very close attention to every aspect of her career on the court and off. I’ve always enjoyed being able to spot leadership quality through paying attention to things like body language, self-responsibility, intellect, competitive drive, communication skills, physical fitness, etc. So, despite having little formal coaching experience, it was always my opinion that there was NO other woman or man Fulmer could hire who would be more perfectly suited to the job than Kara Lawson.

Like I’ve said before, I was not disappointed Kellie was hired. I adore the Harpers and am 100% behind them and 100% believe they’ll get the job done. I believe Kellie is one of the brightest young coaches in the game, and I am absolutely CRAZY about the fact that she bleeds orange.

But Kara? She’s intense and driven in the same way Pat was, but is starting her college coaching career with a LOT more knowledge and experience than Pat did. I’m envious of Duke.

On a more nauseating topic, while UConn had a top 3 recruiting class with Bueckers headlining it, in reality it’s even better.

Most of the services don’t rank the foreign players correctly.

UConn has the #1 in PG Nika Muil from Croatia and #4 PF Aaliyah Edwards from Canada.

Crap.

World Exposure Report 2020 Global Top 25: Ranking the top women's college basketball prospects

Nika will be fighting Paige and Evina for minutes at PG, so no cause for concern here.

If anything, I'm surprised that a.) she's rated higher than Edwards and b.) there are 3 foreign players who are better than Edwards.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Nika will be fighting Paige and Evina for minutes at PG, so no cause for concern here.

If anything, I'm surprised that a.) she's rated higher than Edwards and b.) there are 3 foreign players who are better than Edwards.
The expectation is that Evina may start the season at the point, but before too long Paige and Nika will be on point and Evina will be sharing minutes at the wing with Williams and Makurat.

These "ratings" are just the opinion of a service run by someone with sketchy credentials. Muhl and Edwards are both talented, and both will see plenty of playing time. Beyond that, it's all speculation..

These "ratings" are just the opinion of a service run by someone with sketchy credentials. Muhl and Edwards are both talented, and both will see plenty of playing time. Beyond that, it's all speculation..
You know this service? Or just a general commentary on rankings in general?

VN Store

Back