New ESPN rankings for 2021

Poor Darth/Garth....

You're up at 3:23 AM posting a lame meme response (a second one, because the first one was so funny) just for me?

I can assure you the last thing on my mind in the middle of the night is you. Maybe I'm not the one who needs pity here...

Consensus Top 20 or McD AA's seems to be a reasonable benchmark. I'm sure Sara and Kaiya are good players...they just don't strike me as ones that are the centerpiece of a team with NC aspirations.

Bingo, which is the same issue with Pissott...

Outstanding post Rutgers....Simply outstanding!
26782871-stamp-outstanding-with-red-text-over-white-background-Stock-Vector-e1519738473120.jpg
I’d like credit but NeedOrange is a UConn fan.

Consensus Top 20 or McD AA's seems to be a reasonable benchmark. I'm sure Sara and Kaiya are good players...they just don't strike me as ones that are the centerpiece of a team with NC aspirations.

Hmmm interesting... again i’m not arguing but like getting different views points.

You said consensus top 20/McD AA another poster said top 10... it’s just cool to look at what one poster may consider elite another may just consider a good player

Unless it’s your “friend” on here than they bash any young lady TN gets.

Hmmm interesting... again i’m not arguing but like getting different views points.

You said consensus top 20/McD AA another poster said top 10... it’s just cool to look at what one poster may consider elite another may just consider a good player

Don't get me wrong...would still prefer the top 10 kids, but can see other kids that all/majority of ranking services have in their top 20 as gems.

No disrespect to Sara or Kaiya, but who was the last Tennessee player ranked in the 20s/30s (Sara) or 60s/90s ( Kaiya) that you thought would be a program cornerstone? Meme was a higher rated prospect than Wynn and Alexa was higher than Sara. They turned out to be good players as upperclassmen...but not the sort of player that could carry a top (or aspiring-to-be-top) program.

Reactions: lfvol
Don't get me wrong...would still prefer the top 10 kids, but can see other kids that all/majority of ranking services have in their top 20 as gems.

No disrespect to Sara or Kaiya, but who was the last Tennessee player ranked in the 20s/30s (Sara) or 60s/90s ( Kaiya) that you thought would be a program cornerstone? Meme was a higher rated prospect than Wynn and Alexa was higher than Sara. They turned out to be good players as upperclassmen...but not the sort of player that could carry a top (or aspiring-to-be-top) program.

Honestly, Teiara McCowan! i wanted her at TN when i heard she was on the board and while they didn’t win a Natty she sure as hell put them AND VIC on the map and she did it with another kid who wasn’t a top 20 kid with Vivians. Vic was a great coach but he found those kids who were under ranked and helped turn them into diamonds.

Again this wasn’t an argumentative post just curious how different posters set the bar for “elite” status. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I didn’t think you were being disrespectful to Sara or Kaiya and honestly if they are any type of true athlete the disrespect that has been shown to them will drive them and make TN better. I have had a lot of athletes like that even in track and field and those “pretty good” runners have helped me win a lot of different titles/championships 😂

serious question... for you if any of these young ladies achieve to AA status do we move them to “elite” status?

Honestly, Teiara McCowan! i wanted her at TN when i heard she was on the board and while they didn’t win a Natty she sure as hell put them AND VIC on the map and she did it with another kid who wasn’t a top 20 kid with Vivians. Vic was a great coach but he found those kids who were under ranked and helped turn them into diamonds.

Again this wasn’t an argumentative post just curious how different posters set the bar for “elite” status. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I didn’t think you were being disrespectful to Sara or Kaiya and honestly if they are any type of true athlete the disrespect that has been shown to them will drive them and make TN better. I have had a lot of athletes like that even in track and field and those “pretty good” runners have helped me win a lot of different titles/championships 😂

serious question... for you if any of these young ladies achieve to AA status do we move them to “elite” status?
Victoria and Teaira were not IMO elite prospects coming into college, but developed into ones by the time they graduated. It helped that they were coached by one of the best in the game. Put them under Holly, and I'd bet good money that neither finishes college as an AA or becomes a first round WNBA pick. Vic does an amazing job getting the most out of his players. Maybe Kellie does the same with Kaiya or Sara, but few will argue that the road is easier when you have a Breanna Stewart or a Candace Parker to build your team around. That used to be the recruiting standard for Tennessee, along with players like Sara or Kaiya to play key supporting roles.

Reactions: 1reVOLver

Well...yeah. Thats pretty much what the McD AA rosters are...the elite high school players of their class.

Well...yeah. Thats pretty much what the McD AA rosters are...the elite high school players of their class.

it’s just funny because there are a few players in the 30s and 40s that make the roster year after year while some go the top 20 high schoolers get left off.

i think with this evaluation that the ladies were invited too we will see some changes in the ranking be it a rise or drop.

i also wonder how Wynn playing against texas girls will impact her ranking texas is a deep b-ball rich state🤷🏽‍♂️

Anyways should be fun to watch!

it’s just funny because there are a few players in the 30s and 40s that make the roster year after year while some go the top 20 high schoolers get left off.

i think with this evaluation that the ladies were invited too we will see some changes in the ranking be it a rise or drop.

i also wonder how Wynn playing against texas girls will impact her ranking texas is a deep b-ball rich state🤷🏽‍♂️

Anyways should be fun to watch!
I also don't think all elite players are equal. This upcoming class, I think there's no question that Madison Hayes and Paige Bueckers are both elite players that will make their teams very happy...but Bueckers is likely at another level. Hayes is a step better than the recruits Kellie has gotten the last two years, and consistently getting players like her is where Kellie needs to get recruiting...to then be in a position to win some battles for the Bueckers out there.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
I also don't think all elite players are equal. This upcoming class, I think there's no question that Madison Hayes and Paige Bueckers are both elite players that will make their teams very happy...but Bueckers is likely at another level. Hayes is a step better than the recruits Kellie has gotten the last two years, and consistently getting players like her is where Kellie needs to get recruiting...to then be in a position to win some battles for the Bueckers out there.

Cool... the best thing is they can prove their worth on the court and all the ranking and “elite” go out the window when you gotta prove yourself.

Good luck to Hayes she is a TN girl and is being coached by Nikki McCray-Penson so wishing them both much success! just not against us

Have a great weekend and stay blessed

Reactions: Amb3096
Agree on the 2022. At least one or two in the twenties to demonstrate movement. Interesting point on the ace recruiter. I'm not familiar with the LV staff so I can't comment. Typically the head coach is not the first point of contact with the player. An assistant makes the first contact and builds the relationship. Once a mutual interest is confirmed the head coach becomes the closer on the deal. the two of them then shepherd the player until the NLI is signed.

Agree with this post except we need a top five player. And I’d agree with some posters that top ten is typically considered elite. That is the minimum expectation. And that’s where the nationally relevant get their difference makers.

I know you did not send the reply to me but to be clear, I’m not bashing anyone. Just saying we need a couple of elite players to get back to competing for final fours. If you are UConn and SC, elite players are at least top ten. They expect at least one top five a year.

I know you did not send the reply to me but to be clear, I’m not bashing anyone. Just saying we need a couple of elite players to get back to competing for final fours. If you are UConn and SC, elite players are at least top ten. They expect at least one top five a year.

i didn’t say or imply you were bashing anyone... just to be clear i wasn’t speaking you of ...

i really was looking for other people to chime in so it isn’t a problem. i don’t think they expect a top 5 a year. look at who USC got a really good player who was an AA but not in the top 5 and that was because of the class before who was really deep and really good. So i don’t think they expect a top 5 player every year.

was it the 2019 class that didn’t have any top kids for Geno?

we all know having talent SHOULD make the job easier however we have seen what “just having talent” has done here before 🤪

Or we can build them.
Give me the body, mind, work ethic and ambition,,,,I will give them the teaching
That's what real coaches do
That's what happened to Diamond, T'ea and Mercedes...once they got real coaching,,,they bloomed
real coaches are out there
Heck, they might even be one in UT's backyard

i didn’t say or imply you were bashing anyone... just to be clear i wasn’t speaking you of ...

i really was looking for other people to chime in so it isn’t a problem. i don’t think they expect a top 5 a year. look at who USC got a really good player who was an AA but not in the top 5 and that was because of the class before who was really deep and really good. So i don’t think they expect a top 5 player every year.

we all know having talent SHOULD make the job easier however we have seen what “just having talent” has done here before 🤪

Correct. European Makurat was unranked and Aubrey Griffin was ranked in the 30's. I think Griffin was probable under rated.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Correct. European Makurat was unranked and Aubrey Griffin was ranked in the 30's. I think Griffin was probable under rated.

and not that i’m jumping on the Geno wagon but Makurat ended up getting better and contributing by years end correct?

and not that i’m jumping on the Geno wagon but Makurat ended up getting better and contributing by years end correct?
Makurat had a rough start. She couldn't make a basket. By the end of the season she was probably their best outside shooter (41% on 3s overall).

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Or we can build them.
Give me the body, mind, work ethic and ambition,,,,I will give them the teaching
That's what real coaches do
That's what happened to Diamond, T'ea and Mercedes...once they got real coaching,,,they bloomed
real coaches are out there
Heck, they might even be one in UT's backyard

I know you think that. I’d point out that virtually all difference makers are great by sophomore year. I’m not talking about what kind of pro they ultimately make. Difference makers are almost all near the top of the rankings coming in. Rynne Howard‘s are unicorns.

Not sure what year you are referencing regarding SC, but in 2021 on ESPN they have at least two top five. UConn has number five and is favored for number one. They have a commitment for 22 from number two.

Not sure what year you are referencing regarding SC, but in 2021 on ESPN they have at least two top five. UConn has number five and is favored for number one. They have a commitment for 22 from number two.

and in 2020 they had recruit in the 40s their only recruit. they didn’t get or expect a top 5 and uconn in 2019 didn’t have a top 5 recruit either...

that’s what i was referencing. Yes those schools get top 5 recruits but it’s not an every year thing. even they have lulls where they don’t get top 5 kids

Reactions: Bret178
and in 2020 they had recruit in the 40s their only recruit. they didn’t get or expect a top 5 and uconn in 2019 didn’t have a top 5 recruit either...

that’s what i was referencing. Yes those schools get top 5 recruits but it’s not an every year thing. even they have lulls where they don’t get top 5 kids

Ok, but UConn and now SC always have multiple top five kids on the roster. And they both are likely adding multiple top fives in 2021. Taking one kid in the forties as SC did is fine.

For 2021, we have 4 30-100. Now we have another in 2022. So, we have five spots taken in that range adding to a 2020 class of 67 and unranked for a total of 7 which limits the spots to add a elite or two. We have multiple offers out in a similar range for 2022. You can only play so many solid role players unless you are content with just being a top 25 program which a football-focused AD may be.

Ok, but UConn and now SC always have multiple top five kids on the roster. And they both are likely adding multiple top fives in 2021. Taking one kid in the forties as SC did is fine.

For 2021, we have 4 30-100. Now we have another in 2022. So, we have five spots taken in that range adding to a 2020 class of 67 and unranked for a total of 7 which limits the spots to add a elite or two. We have multiple offers out in a similar range for 2022. You can only play so many solid role players unless you are content with just being a top 25 program which a football-focused AD may be.

All i said was those schools didn’t have classes with top 5 kids. that was it. that was my point. so the every year thing doesn’t always work out but both programs got good kids that will contribute.

My point wasn’t to argue it was just to say that both schools had classes recently that they didn’t get top 5 kids or even top 25 kids now yes they had great classes surrounding them.

I agree i agree i agree you gotta get some top notch kids but i remember when people said kellie couldn’t even pull top 100 kids and she did then it was top 50 kids and she did... so while it may not be as fast as the fans (including me want) she keeps showing she could get those next level kids. now she will have to win to get some of the top 5/top 10 kids. so that is the interesting part.

The cool part is Pissott is now an upper classman on what seems like a good high school team and now she has stepped up her AAU game by joining the Philly Belles which is a power house. She will now be exposed more at a different level of events. HOWEVER in reading her articles she won’t go to showcases where the ranking evaluators make you pay to play or just to go be ranked higher. instead she is focusing on her game so we could see a big shift in her ranking or we may not see a shift at all because of her approach to the game.

Regardless Go LV and have a great day 👍🏽✌🏽

VN Store

Back