'20 Recruiting Forum: Official Georgia Pregame/Game Thread

I’m not the problem. Everyone needs to stop spin doctoring these losses and deal with reality.

The reality is we lost to a better team with more talent. Most of us knew we had to win the turnover battle to have a shot. We didn’t and lost to a team that will be 8-2 at worse and 10-0 at best. Their D will carry them.

I’m just pissed. We are so close it makes me mad. I agree Tee wasn’t ready. I just don’t understand Pruitts love for JG when other coaches have talked about a change and others close to the program have as well. I truly believe we are a good QB away from being able to contend with anyone. You take away JG’s turnovers and we are in a battle. Our defense is fun to watch. They are well coached and still pretty young.
No QB on our roster could have won today if everyone else played the same. I agree JG should go, but we wouldn't have won with Bailey or Shrout

That's bc ALL of the quick passes were to the edge. Easy to defend.

Quick slants and skinny TE routes on the inside would draw that D in and open up the outside edges.

They don’t trust JG to throw to the middle of the field. This is the biggest problem with him. You can’t take that away. Got to let him do it or replace him with someone you do. Problem may be we don’t trust anyone to do so.

Reactions: jave36
No QB on our roster could have won today if everyone else played the same. I agree JG should go, but we wouldn't have won with Bailey or Shrout
I agree. Never thought we would win. But a ten point loss looks better to recruits than a blow out and a domination for a half. I believe Bailey could have kept them honest to keep the game close. Our defense was holding them until they got tired.

Reactions: jave36
I agree. Never thought we would win. But a ten point loss looks better to recruits than a blow out and a domination for a half. I believe Bailey could have kept them honest to keep the game close. Our defense was holding them until they got tired.
Most recruits with a good head on their shoulders won’t pay attention to the fact we just ran outta gas, bub. They’ll see the fact that we swung for the fences til we ran out of gas

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Is blind optimism where you hang yours? We’re seeing red flags for any fan that wants more than finishing 3rd in the East every year. Lie to yourself if you want. Suggest the issue is with me to make yourself feel better, or look at objective reality and take note the gap isn’t closing.

In 2017 would third in the East sound good. Yes. In 2023 does third in the East sound good? No. Does third in the East sound good in 2020? Was what was expected so with 7 wins it does. Is it 2023 yet? No

You do know our talent gap is almost 4 points per recruit...? Today's challenge was still a nice step forward, but that gap is similar to between us and Pitt. We have a ways to go and it will take a couple more years.

You don't close a 28 point spread overnight.

Or a 41-0 one

I’m just pissed. We are so close it makes me mad. I agree Tee wasn’t ready. I just don’t understand Pruitts love for JG when other coaches have talked about a change and others close to the program have as well. I truly believe we are a good QB away from being able to contend with anyone. You take away JG’s turnovers and we are in a battle. Our defense is fun to watch. They are well coached and still pretty young.

I understand but we still lose if he doesn’t fumble. It would’ve been closer. I would love to see Bailey play or JT. They deserve some series but hard to do when every game is a SEC game and we need to win everyone of them and we’ve not seen much in live reps with some of these guys. But if JG goes crap city even for a quarter, you got to yank.

Poor Bass has been complaining about Weinke basically everyday since he was hired, yet Weinke remains, still struggling to make seemingly any progress whatsoever with our QB room, but persisting nonetheless.

I guess it’s cathartic. Maybe it even was for me at one point. But over the past decade it has just started to seem pointless. Pruitt will either get it right, or he won’t.

That’s rather depressing. Win or lose I suppose we’re just happy to participate. Not what I want for the Vols.

That’s rather depressing. Win or lose I suppose we’re just happy to participate. Not what I want for the Vols.

I’m in no position to influence coaching decisions, regardless of what I think (and I thought they didn’t do a good job tonight). What else can I do but take it for what it is and hope they do better next weekend?

I spent a long time dwelling on all the crappiness of the previous 2 staffs (on this site, in particular). Trust me, it didn’t help the program one iota. It’s been a lot more fun trying a more optimistic approach during the Pruitt era, even if it’s against my nature.

It’s really simple folks.

Pruitt and staff, keep building the roster and establishing culture.

Have the roster ready for whenever the elite QB emerges.

Then we start winning big.

Very rational. However I have a question. How do we win big by building a roster with barely top 10 classes, when the big games we need to win are against teams that are consistently getting top 5 classes?

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
Yup we had to win along the OL. -1 rushing yards...Mahomes couldn't win that.

I’m in no position to influence coaching decisions, regardless of what I think (and I thought they didn’t do a good job tonight). What else can I do but take it for what it is and hope they do better next weekend?

I spent a long time dwelling on all the crappiness of the previous 2 staffs (on this site, in particular). Trust me, it didn’t help the program one iota. It’s been a lot more fun trying a more optimistic approach during the Pruitt era, even if it’s against my nature.

It’s easy to be optimistic about the basketball program because we have a great coach who is getting more out of his players than should be possible. In football, I’m still waiting for a sign.

Reactions: I4Jay
Very rational. However I have a question. How do we win big by building a roster with barely top 10 classes, when the big games we need to win are against teams that are consistently getting top 5 classes?

Similar to the Peyton effect.
Similar to the Deshaun Watson effect.

Recruit 7-15 repeatedly.
Finally the elite QB.
Start recruiting top 5.

I feel good about this.
Pruitt knows what he is looking for. He can evaluate talent. We are THAT QB away from taking the next step. Maybe Bailey, maybe Salter...

Just keep moving in the right direction until then.

Dang. I feel like I said something about the line not being all that last week. I guess that is what looking good looks like. Lol.

Last edited:
I’ll say this...Cade needs another year.

I just hope Carvin or Cooper or whoever plays center next season is better than Kennedy.
I stated to someone Kennedy was the weak point of the line and always allows pressure up the middle I almost got crucified for that a couple weeks ago.....

They don’t trust JG to throw to the middle of the field. This is the biggest problem with him. You can’t take that away. Got to let him do it or replace him with someone you do. Problem may be we don’t trust anyone to do so.
I thought everyone knew that is why we don't throw to the middle of the field..

Reactions: VOLSONLY
He held the ball too long, and he wasn't identifying where the pressure was coming from.

Like most every game he has played in. Add in locking in on his primary receiver like a first year player. Add in the inability to count how many are in the box each play and check (on his own) into a more appropriate play. After 5 years including his RS year this is who he is. He is not coachable for game purposes.

I would never let one player cost me a $4+ million a year job. Apparently that is the thing to do by not only Botch and Jeremy, but many HC's around the country who get fired. Even Phil did it. Jeremy will survive for another couple of years, but if he keeps thinking this way about the most important position on the field he will be gone just like the others.

Just in this 3-4 game season; Ole Miss, Mizzou, and Georgia found QB's that can lead O's that score a lot of points with less turnovers. Kiffin basically had a tryout between two. The other two handed the ball early to the back-up who was much better after early returns showed the starter was incompetent. It's not hard to expect better out of the QB position and try others until you find your best - during games - when it matters most. The old ball coach made a sport of it quite successfully for decades.

Seeing JG play is like watching a little league baseball game and the coach is letting his son pitch.

He is a VFL and by all accounts a great young man.

He is just off. He is indecisive at times and cannot see blitzes. Throws are often late , high, or behind. He still stares down receivers. Most importantly he doesn't recover well after a mistake. As a fifth year senior I don't think it is unreasonable to expect more. Maybe Bass is right about Weinke. If we don't have a QB on the roster that can do better at this point then they are doing a poor job of developing the position. I also believe Chaney loses confidence in JG as the game goes on and tries to limit the damage by narrowing the playbook .

Georgia's defense was good. Our defense was good until they got gassed. Not impressed by Georgia's offense.

Sorry had to get off my chest . I am sick of seeing them trot out number 2 and telling everyone he is the only option. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. Rip the bandaid off and play for the future. Time to get the other QB's some playing time.

VN Store

Back