Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized Stetson Bennett would be 4TH STRING right now if UGA kept Newman and Daniels was healthy... he sure is getting a lot of hype... I hope he plays like a 4th string QB tomorrow

To add some history to this...this is his second time being at Georgia..he was a walk on first then transferred to juco.played some QB then transferred back to GA on scholarship so he’s been around the block...not your typical 4th string but he was labeled their 4th string because of talent ahead of him.anyone can look like drew brees or Tom Brady behind that Oline.I’m not impressed myself.

Brice is one of the best as far as program connections. Really hate him & Barton fell out after the Haney article.
Sucks because what Haney said seemed legitimate. But the know nothings raised hell over anonymous sources (do they understand how journalism operates?). The worst part was the title and that was not his call apparently. It was a balanced article with a gotcha headline that misrepresented it.

Don't blame Brice if he stood up for Haney. I believe they are nearly best friends. I know he was in Travis's wedding.

Reactions: 901LookAlive
Sucks because what Haney said seemed legitimate. But the know nothings raised hell over anonymous sources (do they understand how journalism operates?). The worst part was the title and that was not his call apparently. It was a balanced article with a gotcha headline that misrepresented it.

Don't blame Brice if he stood up for Haney. I believe they are nearly best friends. I know he was in Travis's wedding.

I thought the article was on the very edge of what's acceptable to publish. In hindsight it was pretty much 100% spot-on, but I'm not sure there's ever a valid reason to publish an article that essentially says little more than "the coach isn't well-liked and is insecure in himself." And that includes after a coach is fired. Those are details that support a "here's why he got fired" article and not enough to support an article themselves, IMO.

And pulling anonymous sources for that type of story is really weak, because there's ALWAYS someone out there with an axe to grind with people in those positions. Haney could fill another story today with anonymous sources telling him Pruitt is doomed to fail because he's the biggest SOB to ever walk the planet, and in their minds, he is.

It basically laid out the toxicity of the Butch Jones program years before we realized it was true / none of us wanted to believe it at the time.

So butch jones lovers were pi$$ed he was put in that light or the university put in that light?...you can’t hate someone for telling the people how it is or was.Atleast AP can say it was honest journalism.lol the hate is dumb if that is the case.

Do tell...I missed this what was the Haney article about and why the ruffled feathers between the two👀 @Devo182 anyone?
To sum it up, the title of the article was "Tennessee has a bust problem" or.something along the lines. I totally agreed at the time after realizing Kyle Phillips/KMac etc would not pan out. Cam Akers chose FSU the next week and all the homeboarders blamed the hit piece. GoVols247 started losing customers by the dozens, Brice broke character on the board and got really emotional. Attacking Barton Simmons or something like that I can remember, but at the time I didn't know Haney and Brice were friends. So maybe the Montgomery Bell boy Barton put Haney up to writing it. Haney got fired, Brice got fired. Shannon Terry got involved, then Butch of course got fired the following season lulz.

To sum it up, the title of the article was "Tennessee has a bust problem" or.something along the lines. I totally agreed at the time after realizing Kyle Phillips/KMac etc would not pan out. Cam Akers chose FSU the next week and all the homeboarders blamed the hit piece. GoVols247 started losing customers by the dozens, Brice broke character on the board and got really emotional. Attacking Barton Simmons or something like that I can remember, but at the time I didn't know Haney and Brice were friends. So maybe the Montgomery Bell boy Barton put Haney up to writing it. Haney got fired, Brice got fired. Shannon Terry got involved, then Butch of course got fired the following season lulz.

It was the “Culture” article right?...
'The culture is a disaster:' Jones, Vols trending the wrong way

Holy S**t I have missed some juicy details over the past years..if someone can break this down in order by the timeline of it taking place ..I’d appreciate it but don’t expect it👀😭😂😅

Not directly coming out and saying it, but both Jordan Rodgers and Chris Collingworth both implying that Auburn’s offense is trash...

Hey buddy I tell you what I got something for ole RODGAAAASSS with two discount double checks 👊🏽👊🏽 If he ever tries to play this university on air ever again..I’ll tell ya that dude is a homer.

The absolute best board scrolling before our game tomorrow will be either the OU or Texas board. Good lord it's going to get heated.

Either Texas is 2-2 in year 4 under Herman (0 Big 12 titles) or OU is 1-3 in year 4 under Riley (he ultimately and easily gets a pass for winning the conference 3 straight years).

I’m in atx and got friends on both sides. Everyone is riled up for the game tomorrow morning lol. Will be a nice primer before the real game of the week

I thought the article was on the very edge of what's acceptable to publish. In hindsight it was pretty much 100% spot-on, but I'm not sure there's ever a valid reason to publish an article that essentially says little more than "the coach isn't well-liked and is insecure in himself." And that includes after a coach is fired. Those are details that support a "here's why he got fired" article and not enough to support an article themselves, IMO.

And pulling anonymous sources for that type of story is really weak, because there's ALWAYS someone out there with an axe to grind with people in those positions. Haney could fill another story today with anonymous sources telling him Pruitt is doomed to fail because he's the biggest SOB to ever walk the planet, and in their minds, he is.
It was a very long article and covered way more than that. Dozens of people were interviewed, so I'm not sure it was cherry picking one sour person. There was some positive and, yeah, quite a lot of negative. Having just lost to Vandy...that's no surprise.

Here's the article for anyone interested:

Reactions: captainfalcon777
I’m in atx and got friends on both sides. Everyone is riled up for the game tomorrow morning lol. Will be a nice primer before the real game of the week
Do the Texas fans put Herman in warm water if they lose?

"Texas is baaaack" was almost 2 years ago. Do they still believe that?

It was a very long article and covered way more than that. Dozens of people were interviewed, so I'm not sure it was cherry picking one sour person. There was some positive and, yeah, quite a lot of negative. Having just lost to Vandy...that's no surprise.

Here's the article for anyone interested:

The article is mostly recap with a few inside tidbits. The biggest gist is that the culture was bad precisely because of Jones and his insecurity/lack of feeling like he belonged on the big stage (and feeling like he needed to play favorites/coddle certain players due to said insecurity). It's a moot point regardless...he clearly DIDN'T belong and was going 4-8 the next year and getting fired even if it hadn't been published.

Also, I'm wondering if this source:

The source added that Jones tendency to bicker with reporters is indicative of a coach unsure of himself and his position.

“Why would you lecture the media?” the source said. “You can’t have a slogan that says ‘Own It’ and then not own it when it comes time. People will follow true leaders through brick walls, but if you talk and don’t back it up, you turn over your shoulder and no one is there.”

was Brian Rice. I can't imagine many people inside the building gave a damn about how Butch treated reporters other than a guy who was essentially state-run media for the program.

Don't know about that, but he was definitely a top shelf guitarist.
These are always tricky with eras and styles. Eddie gets mad points for innovation and setting a new standard, but modern guitarists like Petrucci, Satriani, Vai are superior in composition and equal and very likely better in proficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back