'21 GA OT Amarius Mims (Georgia commit)

Not there yet. Trask cut Pruitt’s secondary apart last year and until I see something different out of our defense Mullen still reigns.

I'm hoping that getting them in Knoxville in December this year helps our cause enough to give us a puncher's chance.

Not there yet. Trask cut Pruitt’s secondary apart last year and until I see something different out of our defense Mullen still reigns.
Our DLine was nowhere near ready or together for that game so he had plenty of time. Our DLine is better this year than during that point in the season last year. Not saying that will be the sole reason to consider this game a win for us but we do have a better chance this year to win that game.

Hes a one read QB. If the guy he's looking at isn't open he's gonna have problems. If the guy is open he's gonna have problems as he tends to throw over their head.

I mean he didn’t have problems reading SCar’s D. He just made poor throws. Maybe he’s improved in reading D with a 2nd year in the system. He’s a new OC like every year until this year.

And I’m not excusing the poor throws. 5th year SR. No excuses for those. Needs to show immediate improvement.

Hes a one read QB. If the guy he's looking at isn't open he's gonna have problems. If the guy is open he's gonna have problems as he tends to throw over their head.
eh. that's not entirely accurate. he's not a 1 read qb. he does and has made multiple reads in a given play/series/game.

it's just been an evolution of issues the last 3 years, from a kid that really couldn't do it, with an O Line that couldn't provide the time for him to do it.....to inconsistency at coaching...inconsistent run game...inconsistent WR's etc, etc, etc.....

now, having said all that...there's a difference in making multiple reads and actually seeing the field correctly.....we've all heard in game broadcasts the analyst tell us that he made the right read, just not a great throw. he didn't lead him enoug....he threw it to where the WR was, not where he was going to be....he was just a little late with the delivery, allowing the DB to catch up.....making the right reads isn't the issue....it's the delivery of the ball to the right spot, at the right time....all the other issues that plagued him 3 seasons ago are resolved....O Line good, Run Game much better than 3 seasons ago....WR's athletic and do get seperation...there's more speed all over the offense.....finally some consistent coaching.....he needs to deliver the ball....

he did it some Saturday night, and he had some big misses.....see what happens next week......

Not sure about the one read. That's how he got the ball the Eric Gray when he picked up like 40 yds down to the goal line.

I don't see us moving the ball at all vs uga. We have to stop pickens and make them one dimensional to have any chance. I pray JT Daniels is trash.
Tennessee isn’t Arkansas. They’re not even South Carolina. Tennessee would’ve beaten SC by 20 if Shamburger plays and we didn’t have a true freshman guarding probably the best slot man in the SEC. Tennessee will plow right through them with that OL, ESPECIALLY if Cade is cleared in the next 2 weeks.

Not sure about the one read. That's how he got the ball the Eric Gray when he picked up like 40 yds down to the goal line.
Every now and then he checks down. But overall, and you can watch him, when he snaps the ball his eyes lock in to the one receiver, or at best one side of the field, and thats where he's gonna try to throw it.

Every now and then he checks down. But overall, and you can watch him, when he snaps the ball his eyes lock in to the one receiver, or at best one side of the field, and thats where he's gonna try to throw it.
so if your contention, now, is that he's not getting to the 4th read, fine, you may have a point....there's not a ton of qb's that do...lol..... but the original stipulation was "he's a one read qb", and that's simply not true.

eh. that's not entirely accurate. he's not a 1 read qb. he does and has made multiple reads in a given play/series/game.

it's just been an evolution of issues the last 3 years, from a kid that really couldn't do it, with an O Line that couldn't provide the time for him to do it.....to inconsistency at coaching...inconsistent run game...inconsistent WR's etc, etc, etc.....

now, having said all that...there's a difference in making multiple reads and actually seeing the field correctly.....we've all heard in game broadcasts the analyst tell us that he made the right read, just not a great throw. he didn't lead him enoug....he threw it to where the WR was, not where he was going to be....he was just a little late with the delivery, allowing the DB to catch up.....making the right reads isn't the issue....it's the delivery of the ball to the right spot, at the right time....all the other issues that plagued him 3 seasons ago are resolved....O Line good, Run Game much better than 3 seasons ago....WR's athletic and do get seperation...there's more speed all over the offense.....finally some consistent coaching.....he needs to deliver the ball....

he did it some Saturday night, and he had some big misses.....see what happens next week......
Good post. Agree

Tennessee isn’t Arkansas. They’re not even South Carolina. Tennessee would’ve beaten SC by 20 if Shamburger plays and we didn’t have a true freshman guarding probably the best slot man in the SEC. Tennessee will plow right through them with that OL, ESPECIALLY if Cade is cleared in the next 2 weeks.
I like the way your thinking, BUT.....if our OC continues to call the game like he did against USCjr, our OL won’t plow anyone. We didn’t run it near enough and when we did, we was zone blocking instead of lining up and ramming it straight down their throat. We should have had over 300 yards rushing, but was way too pass happy.

Just my opinion of course.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
I like the way your thinking, BUT.....if our OC continues to call the game like he did against USCjr, our OL won’t plow anyone. We didn’t run it near enough and when we did, we was zone blocking instead of lining up and ramming it straight down their throat. We should have had over 300 yards rushing, but was way too pass happy.

if we hit on just 3 of the misses JG had the pass game "looks" a whole lot better than we believe it does right now.
but the reality is, the match ups favored going after them in the air. and it's not like the misses JG had were to guys that were covered up... i mean that's the big complaint, right? these guys were seperated from DB's....they were open.....

so, the game plan, while the execution of it certainly didn't make it seem like it made sense, actually was solid....we were winning those match ups regularly. the O line pass blocked pretty well all night. and outside the well documented missed throws, JG was efficient none the less.

just need to hit some of those throws....and we're all looking at this thing a whole lot differently.

and i'm sure on film, it looks worse than we think it does....i didn't think the game plan was bad at all. hell, it worked....until it didn't....the plan was good. the execution could have been better.

There’s a reason coaches are getting paid to coach and we get to sit and watch. I’d chew on that thought for a bit. I’m sure Chaney really cares about the opinion of just any vol fan

Our DLine was nowhere near ready or together for that game so he had plenty of time. Our DLine is better this year than during that point in the season last year. Not saying that will be the sole reason to consider this game a win for us but we do have a better chance this year to win that game.

We weren’t really better Sat with Soloman out of shape from not practicing and no Middleton. Can they be effective quickly, we don’t know.

if we hit on just 3 of the misses JG had the pass game "looks" a whole lot better than we believe it does right now.
but the reality is, the match ups favored going after them in the air. and it's not like the misses JG had were to guys that were covered up... i mean that's the big complaint, right? these guys were seperated from DB's....they were open.....

so, the game plan, while the execution of it certainly didn't make it seem like it made sense, actually was solid....we were winning those match ups regularly. the O line pass blocked pretty well all night. and outside the well documented missed throws, JG was efficient none the less.

just need to hit some of those throws....and we're all looking at this thing a whole lot differently.

and i'm sure on film, it looks worse than we think it does....i didn't think the game plan was bad at all. hell, it worked....until it didn't....the plan was good. the execution could have been better.

I agree, It would look different "IF" he completed those passes, but he didn't and that's nothing new. There is no doubt that our QB play is one of our largest concerns, why not limit the passes thrown if there are other options? According to USCjr roster, their DL averages less than 285lbs (that's with the 3 smallest not included) and the O Linemen that played Saturday for us avg 315lbs. That's a sizeable advantage, just not sure why our game plan would have us throwing the ball 31 times using a concern, when one of our strengthens has such an advantage. I know 25 carries to 31 passes is fairly close to balanced, but I just believe it would have worked out better to run it more. Once again, only my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: memtownvol
There’s a reason coaches are getting paid to coach and we get to sit and watch. I’d chew on that thought for a bit. I’m sure Chaney really cares about the opinion of just any vol fan
While I was chewing on it, it occurred to me that I was putting my opinion on a message board, not straight to Chaney or any of the other coaches, so I'm sure none of them even know if they should care or not. And I'm not just any vol fan, I'm DIE HARD and have been! I have sit in Neyland and cheered for my Vols from Champions to some of the saddest excuse for football and I live 4 hours away and am not a fair weather fan and I am entitled to my opinion and have never told anyone on here that they need not make discussion.

I wish. UGA will likely dominate us again. I sure hope I am wrong.

Itll be as close as its ever been baring a win if they dont fix a lot fast.
The offense is a mess and the defense looked sluggish at times

If Tennessee can come out and hit them in the mouth and keep it up I think Georgia will fall back on their heals and coast. Im just not that impressed and they came out uninspired and lazy to be quite honest with you against Arky. If they had the bodies to hold up it would have went down to the wire and they just might have won.

Reactions: OC VOL FAN
While I was chewing on it, it occurred to me that I was putting my opinion on a message board, not straight to Chaney or any of the other coaches, so I'm sure none of them even know if they should care or not. And I'm not just any vol fan, I'm DIE HARD and have been! I have sit in Neyland and cheered for my Vols from Champions to some of the saddest excuse for football and I live 4 hours away and am not a fair weather fan and I am entitled to my opinion and have never told anyone on here that they need not make discussion.
I wasn’t actually directing that towards you, friend.

VN Store

Back