Netflix

It's fallen from $520 per share last Tuesday to $476 today, which is about the time this thing started picking up. That's 8%. I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on just today's activity. You might be right that this is nothing, but I don't think we've seen outcry like this before, so not sure we can just dismiss it because of what we've seen in the past.
You can dismiss it. The whole tech sector is down since last week.
Up 4% today. That boycott is brutal!

Last edited:
It's nice to see people get upset about the garbage on cable tv. (I'm not being a smart ass when I say this.)
Everything on cable tv seems to follow the same script. This goes for crime dramas, regular dramas, comedies, "reality tv"...almost no originality and very ho hum when compared to statings like FX, AMC, or any pay channel (HBO/STARZ/NETFLIX etc).

Reactions: bignewt
I still love it, but in all honesty the third movie was atrocious unless you were just a Karate Kid fanatic. I think the fourth movie was created to elevate the third one in all our minds.

It's terrible but in a good 80s movie way. The entire plot was ridiculous even by 80s standards, and the idiotic tournament where Daniel is in the finals automatically. And Macchio was almost 30 but still playing 18, and they couldn't have him get with the new girl because she was legit 16/17 when they filmed. The kicker was that Kreese's "Vietnam War" buddy played by Thomas Ian Griffth is actually younger than Macchio.

Everything on cable tv seems to follow the same script. This goes for crime dramas, regular dramas, comedies, "reality tv"...almost no originality and very ho hum when compared to statings like FX, AMC, or any pay channel (HBO/STARZ/NETFLIX etc).
Those networks give control to the creators.

Those shows are made for the masses. Premium TV and AMC/FX are for a different audience. You just can't put a slow burn on NBC. If it turned out to be Better Call Saul, then that's a win, but if it's anything less than that, they give up too much audience. People are tuning into NBC and TNT for generally lesser forms of entertainment (and that's OK).

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Those shows are made for the masses. Premium TV and AMC/FX are for a different audience. You just can't put a slow burn on NBC. If it turned out to be Better Call Saul, then that's a win, but if it's anything less than that, they give up too much audience. People are tuning into NBC and TNT for generally lesser forms of entertainment (and that's OK).

Yep. Network TV is pretty much cookie cutter now. "This is Us" is one of the few exceptions. Comedies have been slightly better, as there have been a few gems (The Good Place, Brooklyn-99, The Goldbergs, Black-ish). But even still those I usually don't watch live, I either catch it a few days later on Hulu or binge them after the season.

It's hard to believe though 10 years ago or so, NBC had a Thursday night lineup of Community, Parks and Rec, The Office, and 30 Rock.

I re-watch a lot of mass produced shows like NCIS, the mentalist, bones, etc when super bored at work. Its all the same crap.

Devil All The Time 9/10 loved th book and the film followed it close. Great acting, cast and the intermixed storylines are subtly superb. Not for everyone but if you like sprawling southern gothic, you may enjoy.

Reactions: butchna
It is odd that this film sparked so much controversy. The subject matter makes me uncomfortable, but so does Dance Moms, and that has been going on for a decade. Good Boys is all about kids discussing sex. It appears this movie includes both suggestive dancing and kids discussing sex in order to make a point about the sexualization of kids. Dance Moms and Good Boys are purely for entertainment. How do they fly under the radar and Cuties is catching hell? Just seems like an ill-advised movie poster is the root of the problem (and misinformation, like people thinking the movie shows a child's breast).

Challenger: The Final Flight ... 9/10

Finished watching it last night. It's pretty good and doesn't just focus on the teacher (Christa McAuliffe) who was on board like most previous documentaries I have ever seen on the Space Shuttle Challenger tragedy of 1986 do. There is an interesting part of the third episode that discusses a pre-launch conference call between NASA officials and the team at Morton Thiokol, which was the company that manufactured the rocket boosters. As it is described, every engineer for Morton Thiokol agrees that the O-rings in the rocket boosters might not withstand the unusually cold temperatures that Florida was expecting in late January. Those concerns were overruled by the managers at Morton Thiokol and the execs at NASA who were anxious to get the shuttle off the ground after two postponements. You know what's coming, but it's still an interesting watch.

It is odd that this film sparked so much controversy. The subject matter makes me uncomfortable, but so does Dance Moms, and that has been going on for a decade. Good Boys is all about kids discussing sex. It appears this movie includes both suggestive dancing and kids discussing sex in order to make a point about the sexualization of kids. Dance Moms and Good Boys are purely for entertainment. How do they fly under the radar and Cuties is catching hell? Just seems like an ill-advised movie poster is the root of the problem (and misinformation, like people thinking the movie shows a child's breast).

Started on Twitter by a bunch of conservative talking heads who hadnt even watched a trailer. Bled into suburban white mom social media outrage. Again, none had actually watched it. I’m sure all those that were outraged are marching down to their local dance studios to protest the young girls being taught “provocative” dance moves and being over sexualized.

This was blowing up over the weekend but seems to be dying down now that some have actually watched it and realized its not the Pedo propaganda they heard about on social media.

But even if it was as offensive as they claimed, why call for all of Netflix to be cancelled? Have the movie pulled? Sure. Cancel the playform and call in the CEO to testify in Congress? Seems that the same voices crying about “cancel culture” were pretty quick to cancel something themselves.

Also, I’m guessing the majority that canceled were barely using it anyway. This was just their excuse to finally cut it off.

Truth be told I was close to canceling last year just because I was only watching 1 or 2 things a month. I switched to T-Mobile and it was included so I still have it.

Started on Twitter by a bunch of conservative talking heads who hadnt even watched a trailer. Bled into suburban white mom social media outrage. Again, none had actually watched it. I’m sure all those that were outraged are marching down to their local dance studios to protest the young girls being taught “provocative” dance moves and being over sexualized.

This was blowing up over the weekend but seems to be dying down now that some have actually watched it and realized its not the Pedo propaganda they heard about on social media.

But even if it was as offensive as they claimed, why call for all of Netflix to be cancelled? Have the movie pulled? Sure. Cancel the playform and call in the CEO to testify in Congress? Seems that the same voices crying about “cancel culture” were pretty quick to cancel something themselves.

Or you know...they could....not watch it.

Oh I get it, they canceled because they signed up for the Netflix account that forces you to watch things you don't want. I mean, I can't blame them for that, it must be traumatic being forced to watch something they don't want to.

And this is coming from someone who is far from a diehard Netflix defender.

Reactions: bignewt
Also, I’m guessing the majority that canceled were barely using it anyway. This was just their excuse to finally cut it off.

Truth be told I was close to canceling last year just because I was only watching 1 or 2 things a month. I switched to T-Mobile and it was included so I still have it.

I was going to but started The Umbrella Acadamy and liked it, then The Crown and liked it, so decided to keep it because I would just re-start it anyway. Still bummed that The Office is leaving though.

VN Store

Back