Lady Vols All Time Starting 5 !!

No disrespect to Holly, and I'm not conflating my feelings about her as coach with her playing abilities...but no way would I have her on that list. Her game, unlike the other choices, does not translate well to the modern game. I would have picked Nikki McCray, Semeka Randall or even Rennia Davis (who is probably the best Tennessee player who completely flew under the radar over her career) as the off-guard with Lawson as the PG.

The only way any of these "all-time greatest" lists can work is if we consider each player for what she was to her program and the game IN HER TIME. If we attempt to compare today's players to those from decades ago by Imagining how they'd fare going against each other head-to-head, then there would be no comparison. Today's top players would mop the floor with those from earlier decades because they are bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic, better trained, better fed, better equipped and, for the most part, better coached. Also, most of today's best players became serious about basketball earlier in their lives than did players in the distant past.

It is incredibly difficult to judge past players' talents and impact on the game "in their time" when lots of people rarely (if ever) saw any of them play, but there really were lots of players who were just as spectacular to the level that was possible at that time to be, and so I do always enjoy seeing some of the names from the distant past show up on these things. I don't know whether Holly belongs on the list or not. I do know that she would ride the bench if she came to UT today with her exact same skill-set that she had in 1976 -- but that's totally irrelevant. IN HER TIME, she was considered an Olympic-level point guard and was the first Lady Vol to have been so respected that her jersey was retired.

The only two I am 100% confident belong on anyone's list are Chamique and Candace. Everyone else is us for discussion. :D

No disrespect to Holly, and I'm not conflating my feelings about her as coach with her playing abilities...but no way would I have her on that list. Her game, unlike the other choices, does not translate well to the modern game. I would have picked Nikki McCray, Semeka Randall or even Rennia Davis (who is probably the best Tennessee player who completely flew under the radar over her career) as the off-guard with Lawson as the PG.

I agree Nikki McCray

I have a hard time seeing Tamika Catchings being left off any list. The other 2 positions I agree would be up for grabs.

After taking more than 10 seconds to think about it, you are right, of course. There are too many other greats to wrap my head around to fill the other two positions. And if we were to try to make a "five greatest players ever" without confining the list to one for each position, it would be incredibly difficult. o_O

Reactions: Smallvol#1
No way Jose. those two girls couldn't hold a candle to holly's record. I really think you are letting your prejudice against her coaching ability cloud your opinion This reporter's opinion did not consider the era the girls played in.

Reactions: Mr. Doo Wop
I clicked on the video and listened in.The first pick on the all time Tenn. womens list of lady vols was HOLY WARLICK. So I turned it off didn't listen to the rest.I like Holly too.I just don't think she is 1 of the all time 5 best Lady Vols,not even close!

Lawson was an ultimate competitor who played like her hair was on fire every possession and had poise and confidence in spades. I like that. And I want a little ferocity out there. Particularly if ferocity shoots 40% or better from three and makes 1 out of every 2 shots. I think she could have scored more PPG if she wanted, but she had her job and she was great at executing her job. I'm fine with her being on the list, personally. But, again, just me personally.

🤯 what? Lawson was a beast.
Never disagreed with that , Lawson made me excited to play bball as a kid . Her energy and passion was unmatched , with that said she still could not deliver a Nati and get past DT and the huskies in which is the ONLY reason i would replace her on this list. 6th man maybe .

Reactions: mcannon1
Never disagreed with that , Lawson made me excited to play bball as a kid . Her energy and passion was unmatched , with that said she still could not deliver a Nati and get past DT and the huskies in which is the ONLY reason i would replace her on this list. 6th man maybe .
Holdsclaw, Catchings, Roberts, Gordon, and Parker as my point guard.

or Jolly

Looks fairly contemplated and justified. Warlick was the selection for PG. I feel you could make a case for Dena Head or Michelle Marciniak to replace her given their leading their respective teams to NC’s.

In all fairness it seems scandalous to leave off names such as Charles, Gordon, Brogdon, Roberts, and S. Collins.

Last edited:
Looks fairly contemplated and justified. Warlick was the selection for PG. I feel you could make a case for Dena Head or Michelle Marciniak to replace her given their leading their respective teams to NC’s.

In all fairness it seems scandalous to leave off names such as Charles, Gordon, Brogdon, Roberts, and Collins.
I especially liked the fight in MM

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
You put Lawson on that team instead of Jolley and they win a NC. You put Jolley on that team instead of Lawson and they don't win a NC. I don't put as much emphasis on that.

Reactions: Amb3096

VN Store

Back