Johnny Majors Gravesite - took a little road trip yesterday to pay respects

I didn't either. I was listening to "Big Orange Sunday" a few weeks back. Doug Mathews has had Bud Ford on quite a few times. He is the former SID and a great historian. Has quite a few great story's and if you can pull up the podcasts from this summer - in spite of all the doubt going in in the world, there are a few gems there. .
In one of the shows, Bud Ford talked about how Majors was so proud of Lynchburg and how he'd take guests there and just ride around showing his favorite places. I knew his roots were down around Huntland, but didn't realize Lynchburg was really where he considered home. Didn't his Dad coach football at the high school there? Someone help out on that.
Then I saw a picture of the grave of his Dad and figured that's where Johnny is going to end up.

I grew up in Huntsville, and Mom was from Tullahoma, so I have passed through Lynchburg a thousand times over the years. I never knew he Majors plot was there and have been looking for a day off to make a sojourn, and went on up the road to the Oak Hill cemetery in Tullahoma to my Mom's family plot. What else to do on a rainy Sunday??

Shirley did coach at Lynchburg. He was a barber and was convinced by some players and local businessmen to take the job. My dad was one of those players. The Majors family lived 2 doors down from my dad's family. The recruiters got together $100 to persuade Shirley to take the job. He later moved to Huntland where he fielded a state championship team with Johnny as the star. As a side note, my grandfather and dad took Johnny to his first UT game.

I met Shirley Majors back in the mid 70's.He was coaching at Suwanee at the time.Very nice gentleman.What I remember most about him now is that Johnny and Shirley looked a whole lot alike.Johnny IMO favored his dad more than any of the other boys.View attachment 300552
I played at franklin co. and old coach majors would come off the mountain and watch us. He was very inspirational for our team that year. I miss those guys.

It's the one that shows Jack Daniel's burial site.

View attachment 300647
Thanks PT, I’m gonna run over there in the next week or 2 at some point. Johnny was the coach at UT for the majority of my youth, all through my college days on the hill as well. So many fond memories of game days and Johnny Majors Shiws with John Ward. Sad to know he’s gone.

Thanks OP....I hope to get by there someday.
This was shared with my by another wonderful VOLNATION reader. A great documentary on Coach Majors. A couple of things - towards the end, there are some of the graveside service. Also, they start off describing Lynchburg as a place nobody just passes through. I may be one of the rare exceptions - My Mom was from Tullahoma and growing up in Huntsville, we passed through there often on the way to see my grandparents.

Enjoy:

VN Store

Back