2021 Consensus Rankings (Top 75)

NeedOrange said:
KJH has demonstrated the ability to coach players up with her deep RUN into the tournament with lesser known HS players.

There I fixed it. I took off the S on run to fit your requirements and make his statement true. All is right with the world. is new jersey still a hot spot for the virus and are yalls players even getting a chance to practice? this is NOT a dig but am curious. Praying for a season and a return to normalcy soon!
So now you speak for other posters? He said “runs” and I responded to that. And there have been other exaggerations about her on this board.

What is your opinion on her previous 15 years of coaching?

So now you speak for other posters? He said “runs” and I responded to that. And there have been other exaggerations about her on this board.

What is your opinion on her previous 15 years of coaching?

i don’t speak for anyone. why are you mad? i think she bombed at NC St, did well at MSU, and now she is here. i think we saw accountability with athletes and i’m loving it. i think the progress or lack there of would have been shown in the tourney.

i love a good conversation so i’m here for it. i know your board is probably dry so if you feel lonely i’ll talk to you 😊

l see the truth about that one Sweet 16 run struck a nerve. I was going to take a couple of digs but I won't do that. Yes, they are practicing in NJ among other things.

it didn’t strike a nerve at all i’m a black educator so people taking digs and me having thick skin isn’t something new 😂

like i told the other poster i’m here for the conversation and i enjoy it so let em fly. But if you dish the digs hopefully you can take them 🤣

Reactions: VolBall09
I see this kind of post on this board all the time. Let me first say that I really like Coach Harper and hope she does a great job at Tennessee. So far so good. A good class in 2020 and a better one in 2021.

What you stated is just not true. She had one “deep run“ into the tournament. That’s it. Her last year at Missouri State. That team of lesser known HS players got to the Sweet 16.

Other than that, she never got past the first round of her four other NCAA tournament appearances or past the second round of the seven WNIT tournament appeaprances.

No need to embellish her record. It’s the future we should care about.

Agree with VA for the most part and the NCSt results are what they are too. More concerning to me is not getting in deep with any elite kids so far. Hoping for 2022 but even the solid and improved 2021 class had no one in the top 30. Is her staff good enough in recruiting? Is she? The longer it goes the harder it gets. It shifts to results and to producing pros. And absent sprinkling in an elite or two, the odds aren’t good.

Don't mean to be a downer but Kellie really needs to land a couple of top kids if Tennessee is going to have a shot to be a Sweet 16 type of team or better. There have been a ton of defects in the last few years of highly touted kids:
Hayes-#7 HG
Green-#10 HG
Collins-#49 HG (ranked #9 by ProspectNation)
Westbrook-#2 HG
Massengill-#25 HG

After this year, the only former top 25 recruit left on the roster is Horston, who was the #2 recruit. Players like Burrell and Key can become good players but both are still big works in progress. Same with Horston for that matter. 2020 wasn't a great recruiting haul so I think 2021 is essential if Tennessee wants to have a shot to be a strong program again.
tumblr_ptsqwerEgV1y4uj8co1_400.gifv

Agree with VA for the most part and the NCSt results are what they are too. More concerning to me is not getting in deep with any elite kids so far. Hoping for 2022 but even the solid and improved 2021 class had no one in the top 30. Is her staff good enough in recruiting? Is she? The longer it goes the harder it gets. It shifts to results and to producing pros. And absent sprinkling in an elite or two, the odds aren’t good.

Kaiya Wynn was an ESPN top 25 player, right?

Reactions: ChattyVolfan
The way I see it, Kellie has the length of her contract to reach the Final Four. Combination of recruiting, coaching, and winning (not in that order). Hopefully, contract extensions are the result of achieving results higher than expectations.

Kaiya Wynn was an ESPN top 25 player, right?

The ratings we discussed a few weeks ago which I think was consensus had the top kid at 30 or just over. Could have been HoopGirlz. But the point is the same, just need that top five kid to be a difference maker and we can make a move as a contender.

Reactions: Will83 and mcannon1
Recruiting stars is not the only aspect of building a winning team. Look at what Barnes did with a bunch of players who were not highly ranked out of high school. Player development is a large part of the equation also, but that takes some time. Kellie's MoSt last team would indicate that she can also develop players, again, given time. I have high hopes that she can get there in time. GBO.

It’s unlikely. Getting elite kids has resulted in championships and final fours in the women’s game. As to the Barnes example, he coached and developed great at TN. But, he never got past the sweet 16 even with those developed and mature players. Getting elite talent is more important in WBB because the players stay three years when in the men’s game, elite talent leaves after one or two years.

NeedOrange said:
KJH has demonstrated the ability to coach players up with her deep RUN into the tournament with lesser known HS players.

There I fixed it. I took off the S on run to fit your requirements and make his statement true. All is right with the world. is new jersey still a hot spot for the virus and are yalls players even getting a chance to practice? this is NOT a dig but am curious. Praying for a season and a return to normalcy soon!

Thanks for the editorial change. UConn is not practicing as a team quite yet. They have the players broken up into pods with 4 players sharing a suite in the dorms. Each pod works with coaches independently of other pods. They each have their own sanitized balls and work out on separate hoops. Coaches wear gloves and everyone is masked. We're getting very little news because the team is in a strict COVID isolation. The NCAA rule is that practice can't begin until 45 days before the scheduled start of the season. If the November 25 date holds, that means practice for all D1 can start somewhere around October 11. Geno typically starts his practice later than most schools. I don't know anything about New Jersey (see I capitalized that aren't you proud of me ;)).

Last edited:
Reactions: mcannon1
Thanks for the editorial change. UConn is not practicing as a team quite yet. They have the players broken up into pods with 4 players sharing a suite in the dorms. Each pod works with coaches independently of other pods. They each have their own sanitized balls and work out on separate hoops. Coaches wear gloves and everyone is masked. We're getting very little news because the team is in a strict COVID isolation. The NCAA rule is that practice can't begin until 45 days before the scheduled start of the season. If the November 25 date holds, that means practice for all D1 can start somewhere around October 11. Geno typically starts his practice later than most schools. I don't know anything about New Jersey (see I capitalized that aren't you proud of me ;)).

that’s why i asked the New Jersey fan about his team... and i guess that’s why they tried to to flip it as me being triggered about the comment when he was picking apart semantics 😂 i got what you were saying though. so i was just clarifying.

And they call you a troll 😂🤣😂

Good to see a little spirited discussion....The board is alive and well.
October 11th seems like such a long time away, and November 25 feels like an eternity....

As a fan of this program, I'm well aware of how far into the basketball abyss it had fallen under the guidance of our last coach...

Being a yearly national contender had become common place to most of us...Watching up close the rust dim the orange and white shine, that so many of us took as "just the way it was", has taken a toll on many fans...

As the new season approaches, I'm thankful that all of you guys and gals are still here to talk with, and even to argue with occasionally...

Lady Vols, all the way my friends.....

that’s why i asked the New Jersey fan about his team... and i guess that’s why they tried to to flip it as me being triggered about the comment when he was picking apart semantics 😂 i got what you were saying though. so i was just clarifying.

And they call you a troll 😂🤣😂
I don't get the NJ connection. I live in the land of Clemson orange and Dawn Staley.

I don't get the NJ connection. I live in the land of Clemson orange and Dawn Staley.
I’m the Jersey reference. Born and raised until I was 15. Sadly, I’m inundated with UConn stuff for the last 52 years. Sister graduated from there and so did my brother. I held true to my Jersey roots, but it’s not easy....lol.

I’m the Jersey reference. Born and raised until I was 15. Sadly, I’m inundated with UConn stuff for the last 52 years. Sister graduated from there and so did my brother. I held true to my Jersey roots, but it’s not easy....lol.

What was the nickname we like calling you? It was done with respect., not criticism...It's been so long for us to post much, I forgot the cool nickname.

It’s unlikely. Getting elite kids has resulted in championships and final fours in the women’s game. As to the Barnes example, he coached and developed great at TN. But, he never got past the sweet 16 even with those developed and mature players. Getting elite talent is more important in WBB because the players stay three years when in the men’s game, elite talent leaves after one or two years.
I would think the exact opposite is true. Getting elite talent is more important because the play better from beginning. Good players can be coached up to elite status over time so you have 2 or 3 years to develop them. One and done on men's teams better be good enough to win now! Women stay longer so they can develop over the time they are in school. A pipeline of good players sprinkled every so often with an elite like Holdsclaw, Catchings and Parker is what wins you championships. We need a good solid base to work with, then get that elite and hopefully we will be cooking with gas. Will we? Who knows? We will find out in the next 3 or 4 years if the staff we have can cut the mustard.

I would think the exact opposite is true. Getting elite talent is more important because the play better from beginning. Good players can be coached up to elite status over time so you have 2 or 3 years to develop them. One and done on men's teams better be good enough to win now! Women stay longer so they can develop over the time they are in school. A pipeline of good players sprinkled every so often with an elite like Holdsclaw, Catchings and Parker is what wins you championships. We need a good solid base to work with, then get that elite and hopefully we will be cooking with gas. Will we? Who knows? We will find out in the next 3 or 4 years if the staff we have can cut the mustard.

You made my point. “Sprinkling in” an elite like those three means you have them for three years. In the Men’s game, you have to “Sprinkle” every year because they leave after one. Regardless, the key is to add elite kids to your solid, developing base. Those three were the key, not the other solid college players.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
You made my point. “Sprinkling in” an elite like those three means you have them for three years. In the Men’s game, you have to “Sprinkle” every year because they leave after one. Regardless, the key is to add elite kids to your solid, developing base. Those three were the key, not the other solid college players.
No, I didn't make your point. In fact I pointed out the exact opposite. We didn't need to bring in an elite every year as long as Parker was here. Take KY men's basketball. If Cal wants to stay on top, it's crucial he brings in elite talent EVERY year. He wouldn't have to push so hard for every elite player if they stayed 3 or 4 years like in women's basketball. You can focus on every 2 or 3 years if people are not leaving. It seems pretty elementary to me. If the elite players aren't leaving every year you don't have to push every year for the elite. You can cherry pick your recruiting battles. Do you want an elite player every year? Heck yes you do but it's not as crucial that you land them. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

No, I didn't make your point. In fact I pointed out the exact opposite. We didn't need to bring in an elite every year as long as Parker was here. Take KY men's basketball. If Cal wants to stay on top, it's crucial he brings in elite talent EVERY year. He wouldn't have to push so hard for every elite player if they stayed 3 or 4 years like in women's basketball. You can focus on every 2 or 3 years if people are not leaving. It seems pretty elementary to me. If the elite players aren't leaving every year you don't have to push every year for the elite. You can cherry pick your recruiting battles. Do you want an elite player every year? Heck yes you do but it's not as crucial that you land them. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I give up after this. You aren’t reading what I wrote. An elite or two is required to win big. Yes, they do stay longer in WBB which makes EACH one more valuable than in MBB. So, TN won a lot when Holdsclaw was here which was multiple years, same with Candace and Tamika. UConn won Multiple years with Taurisi, then Moore, etc. Of course, like UConn and USC, you go for elites each year because more is better. The idea you don’t push hard annually is strange. You don’t have to land a top five each year but you should go for the best.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Not 100% sure what you two guys are disagreeing on, but the more top talent you have on your squad, the greater chance you have to cut down the net at the end of the season.

Even top talent will sometimes fail to play up to their ranking, but when they are firing on all cylinders, it's a thing of beauty to behold....

Not 100% sure what you two guys are disagreeing on, but the more top talent you have on your squad, the greater chance you have to cut down the net at the end of the season.

Even top talent will sometimes fail to play up to their ranking, but when they are firing on all cylinders, it's a thing of beauty to behold....
It was stated that getting elite players was more important in the women's game because they stay 3 or 4 years versus men leaving every year. Just seems to me it would be more important to replace an elite player that leaves with another elite player versus just adding to a team that already has an elite player. That was all I had an issue with. Of course you always want elite players and I stated such. It's just the "which is more important" I took issue with. It's also worth considering that not every elite player is a good fit for the team, thus my statement saying you could cherry pick your recruiting battles. We don't want every elite recruit. We want one that fits in with the team. We have seen what a "not a good fit for this team" looks like. This seems like it is also more of an issue in the women's game.

Top-35 ranked WBB prospect O’Mariah Gordon, 5-5 PG, Braden River HS (Bradenton, FL), has announced her commitment to Florida State, their third 2021 commit, all announced during the last few weeks

VN Store

Back