First Vol game you remember and your age

I remember listening to games, on the radio, with my Dad and older brothers in the '60s, but the first I really remember was going to see them play Wake Forest in Memphis in 1970. I was eleven at the time and UT running back Don McLeary's brother went to church with us so Don stopped in to speak to us. It made a lasting impression to say the least.
Don was good people....I've known him for many years

Reactions: Tarkus
boca vol: i was wrong game was 57 and was cotton bowl
senior moment?

are the fact checkers on break or what?

in 1957 Bear Bryant brought Texas A & M and John David Crow to Jacksonville and the Gator Bowl where Bobby Gordon met Crow late in the game and both were knocked silly.

I don't think they changed the name of the Cotton Bowl that year!

Last edited:
Reactions: ArdentVol
I remember the ‘86 Sugar Bowl occurring, but I don’t really remember it. I was 6 at the time. ‘88 Peach Bowl was the first game I remember watching. ‘89 Auburn game caused my addiction. I hope we can return to just plain old football someday soon. This year just ain’t going to do the trick for me.

It was 1971 or 1972, I don't remember which. So I was either 11 or 12. We played Penn State in Neyland. Our Pop Warner team got to go to the game as a reward for winning the county championship. The Vols won, of course. I remember running out on the astro turf after the game with all my buddies, shaking hands with the players.

It almost certainly wasn't the first Tennessee game I followed, since we were able to catch the games on radio from Tullahoma, but it was the first I remember getting to watch.

It was awesome. :)

November 1964 in Neyland. I was 6. It was cold and I got a hot dog. That’s what I remember. We lost 12-7. Beat them 11 straight after that. My next game was the famous 17-17 vs UGA in 1968 on Tartan Turf. That stuff was awful. The field had black stripes due to poor installation and they had to slope the field to get it to drain.

My 5th grade science class had a visit from a great vol who rode the North Hills number 9 bus across town to meet with his friend Mrs. Shanton's awe struck science class! It was sometime in the spring of 1951. What a nice young man! His name was Hank Lauracella!

Not sure what year or how old I was. Vols vs Memphis at Liberty Bowl Stadium. We won. It rained that day.

I was 16 years old. It was Homecoming on the Hill in 1981. We played Wichita State. I saw Willie Gault, Anthony Hancock, James Berry, Rev Reggie White. The QB was Mike im not going to try too attempt and spell his last name. I cant forget Bill Bates yall.

are the fact checkers on break or what?

in 1957 Bear Bryant brought Texas A & M and John David Crow to Jacksonville and the Gator Bowl where Bobby Gordon met Crow late in the game and both were knocked silly.

I don't think they changed the name of the Cotton Bowl that year!

Ii have been told my mind aib;t right .... wrote gator bowl,, googled texas am and UT and got Cotton Bowl.
do remember that dad, who was iat UT during Neyland years, wasn't that impressed vols got into a "nothing" bowl. clearly recall tv announcers hyping John David

I was 16 years old. It was Homecoming on the Hill in 1981. We played Wichita State. I saw Willie Gault, Anthony Hancock, James Berry, Rev Reggie White. The QB was Mike im not going to try too attempt and spell his last name. I cant forget Bill Bates yall.
was this when phil was shocker assistant?

1988. Bama at UT. Kieth Delong went slap tf off. If Majors and Co had any kind of offensive plan, could have easily been a win. Keith went off so bad that my two buddies from Bama got his autograph afterwards. My dad took all 4 of us to the entrance to the locker room and all 4 of us got something signed.

My very first game my stepfather and I received free tickets from a neighbor that couldn't attend. Corner endzone seats in 2003 to watch Clausen throw a TD pass in OT in a win over South Carolina. We had just moved to Knoxville from the Florida panhandle and that was a great introduction to Tennessee football. We were always bigger basketball fans and attended several games during the end of Peterson's tenure but that first night in Neyland to watch an OT win was memorable. I've still got the ticket stub somewhere. I had just turned 12.

Too young to remember the year, but I remember us beating up on UGA to the tune of something in the 33-6 range

I've followed so long I honestly cant remember my first game. Growing up on a farm in rural West Tennessee we could only get one channel on the TV (when the TV worked) so watching games was limited to one network. But I do remember listening on the radio and later watching the old coaches shows which aired at like 5:00 PM Sunday on our one channel.

Tennessee vs Utah 1984, 14 years old

I remember all the Jack bottles in the stands after the game

I don't remember the game. But I remember playing Sega (Sonic 2) and my dad making me turn it off for the game. And I can remember Heath Shuler throwing a bomb down the sidelines for a 70+ yd TD pass and thinking to myself he just threw the ball the entire length of the field (as a kid it seemed that way) and I was mesmerized.

The first game I can remember watching intentionally was the game Peyton broke the Bama streak with the naked bootleg.

First game I went to was Jamal's freshman year. It was a cupcake team but Jamal ran for around 200 yards

Don't remember the year but remember they played Kentucky. Charles Rosenfelder and I think Walter Chadwick were 2 names i remember. someone might be able to tell me what years

Don't remember the year but remember they played Kentucky. Charles Rosenfelder and I think Walter Chadwick were 2 names i remember. someone might be able to tell me what years
Charles played from 66-68...I've known him for many years. We are from the same hometown.

I remember Jimmy Streeter as a Sr. QB in a bowl game; not sure who we were playing or what bowl game, or how old I was; sorry.

VN Store

Back