Vanderbilt Has Slammed on The Brakes For Football Activities

Provided the SEC doesn't cancel the season at some point, I would imagine all their 2020 games would go into the record books as forfeits.

If they cancel football I guess they will go to online classes only (assuming they haven't already) as well.

Reactions: JacketVol
The absolute most liberal school in the SEC, (and that's saying a lot!). Over the last 5 years their commitment to big time athletics has eroded piece by piece.

Yet they’re 3-2 against Tennessee the last 5 yrs. I think the league will simply give everyone a bye that week if Vandy drops
out except Alabama. They’ll get a forfeit

Last edited:
Wouldn't be a huge surprise to me. Here's what happens, I see Vandy dropping out and the ACC cancels the season at the last minute after NY state doesn't let Syracuse play home games and Massachusetts follows suit with BC, plus FSU players go on strike and refuse to play for Norvell. Clemson is enraged and applies to fill Vandy's slot. Of course the SEC, seeing a chance to get in one more NC caliber team, says yes and puts them on our schedule..

I like them. A least we use to be able to call that game a win. That is why I want them to play them this year.

Vandy is in a pickle, just as we'll be when our players get sick. Sure, call them "scared" and other names, but that simply ignores the reality that there's inherent danger in playing this Fall. Myocarditis has already occurred in 10 Big10 football players.

In a small number of cases, Myocarditis may persist and become chronic or long lasting. Chronic myocarditis is associated with dilated cardiomyopathy and may lead to heart failure and other serious complications. Treatment may involve long-term use of steroid medication or a heart transplant operation.

We already have players like Trey Smith that have a serious, pre-existing, and potentially life-threatening condition.

As the SEC has already publicly stated:

"There are going to be outbreaks," an SEC official told players during the call. "We're going to have positive cases on every single team in the SEC. That's a given. And we can't prevent it."

Thus, aside from the obvious concerns that nobody wants these kids to get the virus or have any long-term effects from it, I suspect there is substantial legal risk to U. of Tennessee and any school that opts to play. Administrators know that football players are likely going to get the virus and that it may cause Myocarditis. I also understand that virtually everyone wants life to continue on as normal with football, and that some even think the virus is a 'hoax', but my point is that the decision-making process is riddled with real risk and financial liability to each school, even Vanderbilt.

Last edited:
My apologies ladies and gentlemen if this has been posted already, but I thought it might be worth a read. My question is if Vandy can't play (I've heard supposedly (rumors) that school higher-ups do not want this season to start) does this throw the SEC's chance to play out the window?
Vanderbilt pauses football activities due to positive COVID-19 tests

I don't think a decision by Vandy to not "play" sports this fall/early winter will have much effect on the rest of the SEC. I just wonder if the rest of the SEC schools will sit still for Vandy getting a share of the league revenue. I would hope not!!!

The absolute most liberal school in the SEC, (and that's saying a lot!). Over the last 5 years their commitment to big time athletics has eroded piece by piece.

Beginning to look like our state university is rushing to catch up. Have you been on or around the hill in the last few years. Took a grandchild to orientation a few year back, a real eye opener. Had been on the campus a few times prior to that trip and had notice a change in the social environment but ignored it telling myself it just the hangers on from the 60-70 life style. I was wrong, it is the facility/leadership graduates from the 60-70 and beyond leading the change starting with high schools the to colleges influencing the younger generation in the Kumbaya movement.

Reactions: bigorangepoppa
Wouldn't be a huge surprise to me. Here's what happens, I see Vandy dropping out and the ACC cancels the season at the last minute after NY state doesn't let Syracuse play home games and Massachusetts follows suit with BC, plus FSU players go on strike and refuse to play for Norvell. Clemson is enraged and applies to fill Vandy's slot. Of course the SEC, seeing a chance to get in one more NC caliber team, says yes and puts them on our schedule..

I still don't see how/why other conferences will/should have any effect on the SEC. As to allow "outsiders" in BS!!! If they had not wanted in bad enough to ask in earlier years, the let them lay in the bed they made..

Vandy is in a pickle, just as we'll be when our players get sick. Sure, call them "scared" and other names, but that simply ignores the reality that there's inherent danger in playing this Fall. Myocarditis has already occurred in 10 Big10 football players.

In a small number of cases, Myocarditis may persist and become chronic or long lasting. Chronic myocarditis is associated with dilated cardiomyopathy and may lead to heart failure and other serious complications. Treatment may involve long-term use of steroid medication or a heart transplant operation.

We already have players like Trey Smith that have a serious, pre-existing, and potentially life-threatening condition.

"There are going to be outbreaks," an SEC official told players during the call. "We're going to have positive cases on every single team in the SEC. That's a given. And we can't prevent it."

Thus, aside from the obvious concerns that nobody wants these kids to get the virus or have any long-term effects from it, I suspect there is substantial legal risk to U. of Tennessee and any school that opts to play. Administrators know know that football players are likely going to get the virus and that it may cause Myocarditis. I also understand that virtually everyone wants life to continue on as normal with football, and that some even think the virus is a 'hoax', but my point is that the decision-making process to do so is riddled with real risk and financial liability to each school, even Vanderbilt.

could the players get Covid if they don’t play? Or does it only spread during football activities? I know the virus has already unionized, it goes into schools but not daycare facilities.

Yet they’re 3-2 against Tennessee the last 5 yrs. I think the league will simply give everyone a bye that week if Vandy drops
out except Alabama. They’ll get a forfeit

Order has been restored in that (not a rivalry) series.
We have put them in their rightful place, and are trending upwards, as they spiral downward.
Again I say, order has been restored.

Thus, aside from the obvious concerns that nobody wants these kids to get the virus or have any long-term effects from it, I suspect there is substantial legal risk to U. of Tennessee and any school that opts to play. Administrators know know that football players are likely going to get the virus and that it may cause Myocarditis. I also understand that virtually everyone wants life to continue on as normal with football, and that some even think the virus is a 'hoax', but my point is that the decision-making process to do so is riddled with real risk and financial liability to each school, even Vanderbilt.

Trey Smith wants to play. Inherent risk is in everything we do. Wife is a Regional Manager for one of the largest hospice companies in the world. Cigarettes & Sugar are way worse than Covid will ever be. My oldest is in the Persian Gulf living in a tent with tons of other military. They aren't scared, they just wash their hands more. No masks. We cant all stay at home because of a virus that is more benign than pneumonia. If you can afford it & want to stay home that is your choice & my son is fighting for that right. Play the damn game.

VN Store

Back