Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Florida –

I find that one of the more amusing things the media tends to focus on every year for our game with Florida is the “mental hurdle”. I think it’s all psychobabble. The real issue is that year in and year out for the past 11 years Florida has had the better defense and defense wins games. The low rent teams in our conference, the ones who can’t afford to build on both sides of the ball, tend to focus on offense because that excites the fans and sells tickets. Obviously, you’d prefer to be strong on both sides of the ball but some teams in the league can’t pull that off as well as the elite of the elite.

The following table shows the scoring offenses of UF & UT against conference competition and the scoring defense against conference competition. The table looks at the differences between the offenses and the differences between the defenses and then shows the net difference between the two teams. That net difference fairly well aligns with the outcome of the game between UF and UT every year up until the last two. In the last two years since we both had coaching changes Florida has started to pull away from the tight spread that frequently existed between the two teams.

Obviously we’ve been beyond inept on offense the last couple of years, with turnovers, stupid penalties, and costly mistakes, that have doomed our competitiveness in those two matchups. The thing is other than 2015 & 16 with Dobbs I don’t think we’ve put an offense on the field in most years capable of competing against an elite defense. I mean I liked Bray and I don’t fault him for not having a defense but his offense couldn’t really perform all that well against elite defenses either. He did, however, beat the UF defense by 8.1 points in 2012. Dobbs beat the UF defense by 11.8 points in 2015 and by 18.3 points in 2016, the latter of which was enough to finally get us a victory in the series.

We lost in 2012 because we had no defensive coaching whatsoever that year and gave up 40 points a game on average to all conference opponents. In 2015 we had over the top stupid play calling on defense that allowed UF to convert over 17.8 million 4th downs in the 4th quarter to come back and win. In 2016, in the second half, between Dobbs, Barnett, Jennings, Malone, TKjr, Hurd, Wolf, and others, they said, hell no, not this time.

The most celebrated analysts in all of college football are expecting us to have the 7th best defense in the country this year. That suggests we will be giving up on average less than 17 points per game to the opposing teams. Now Florida lost more production on both sides of the ball than we did and they lost key guys to the NFL from all three levels of their defense. Would it really be too much to ask that we score at least 24 points against their guys this year. I don’t think so. jmo.

ScreenHunter 568.png

Florida –

I find that one of the more amusing things the media tends to focus on every year for our game with Florida is the “mental hurdle”. I think it’s all psychobabble. The real issue is that year in and year out for the past 11 years Florida has had the better defense and defense wins games. The low rent teams in our conference, the ones who can’t afford to build on both sides of the ball, tend to focus on offense because that excites the fans and sells tickets. Obviously, you’d prefer to be strong on both sides of the ball but some teams in the league can’t pull that off as well as the elite of the elite.

The following table shows the scoring offenses of UF & UT against conference competition and the scoring defense against conference competition. The table looks at the differences between the offenses and the differences between the defenses and then shows the net difference between the two teams. That net difference fairly well aligns with the outcome of the game between UF and UT every year up until the last two. In the last two years since we both had coaching changes Florida has started to pull away from the tight spread that frequently existed between the two teams.

Obviously we’ve been beyond inept on offense the last couple of years, with turnovers, stupid penalties, and costly mistakes, that have doomed our competitiveness in those two matchups. The thing is other than 2015 & 16 with Dobbs I don’t think we’ve put an offense on the field in most years capable of competing against an elite defense. I mean I liked Bray and I don’t fault him for not having a defense but his offense couldn’t really perform all that well against elite defenses either. He did, however, beat the UF defense by 8.1 points in 2012. Dobbs beat the UF defense by 11.8 points in 2015 and by 18.3 points in 2016, the latter of which was enough to finally get us a victory in the series.

We lost in 2012 because we had no defensive coaching whatsoever that year and gave up 40 points a game on average to all conference opponents. In 2015 we had over the top stupid play calling on defense that allowed UF to convert over 17.8 million 4th downs in the 4th quarter to come back and win. In 2016, in the second half, between Dobbs, Barnett, Jennings, Malone, TKjr, Hurd, Wolf, and others, they said, hell no, not this time.

The most celebrated analysts in all of college football are expecting us to have the 7th best defense in the country this year. That suggests we will be giving up on average less than 17 points per game to the opposing teams. Now Florida lost more production on both sides of the ball than we did and they lost key guys to the NFL from all three levels of their defense. Would it really be too much to ask that we score at least 24 points against their guys this year. I don’t think so. jmo.

View attachment 301525
Your “jmo”’s are my “WGWTFA”’s!

Thanks!

https://247sports.com/Article/Tenne...-anonymous-SEC-coaches-2020-season-150556961/

"The good news is that they look more like the old Tennessee," one coach said. "They're bigger and faster, they're developing guys they recruit and those two things haven't worked together for their defense in a long time."

"Butch (Jones) wasn't a bad recruiter, but Jeremy is doing a better job," another anonymous coach said. "That's the best thing they've got going. They're evaluating like Alabama and Georgia in terms of identifying guys. When you go out on the road, you 'feel' them more.

"They're in the right place. The problem is, they're on that tree with Bama and UGA. They need that big moment to turn heads with the elite prospects."

How do you cook them? I’ve tried direct on both side and reverse sear. Can never get just juicy burgers. What temp?

The only way I make burgers now is the “smash” method. It’s crazy but it works.

Get about 1/4 - 1/2 pound of meat, ball it up, put it on a 500 degree or above cast iron skillet and smash it down to a patty and hold it for 10 seconds. Leet it cook for 2 minutes, flip it and do the same on the other. YOu will think you are smashing the juice out of it but you don’t. The “bark” keeps the juice inside of the burger. Really good !!

Edit....there are tools you can buy to preform the “smash”. I got mine at Home Depot frill department.

Last edited:
Right here is where you went wrong.

If you have already solved the problem, sorry to bring it back up. Will never miss an opportunity to talk crap about Dell.
Still not fixed but I agree. Only thing I'll add is I've never really found a good quality laptop. My Dell desktops have performed well over the years.

After a few stops along the way to enjoy various places in the mountains we’ve finally made it to Gods country. We’re in East TN and loving it.

Among other places we’ve gone, we’ve driven to Wears Valley a couple of times. I remember someone on here saying it’s beautiful. You’re right, it really is. I could see us settling there when the time comes if the housing expense doesn’t get us.

Welcome. You will grow to love the locals as well as the beautiful environment. Real estate values are strongly increasing here, so make the move on buying before they skyrocket more. As the real estate market improves in the midwest and Florida, the people waiting to relocate here are now able to sell their homes at prices that can make it happen. A lot of infrastructure proposals and plans are being implemented on the state level to accommodate the anticipated growth.

It sucks for HB but having had at least 1 QB in quarantine is prob. a good thing for the team once the seasons gets going. P
We intentionally let HB get the Rona that way when the other QBs “catch it” during the season he takes over and never looks back.

Chess not checkers.

View attachment 301501
From my VA Tech friend. He says its a reliable source. I hope its true. Clemson needs to play someone.

Will sit here and wait patiently for Desmond Howard's tweet expressing outrage at tOSU and demanding their immediate ouster from the B1G.

giphy.gif

IMO the player who benefits the most from the free year of eligibility is Kenneth George.

He’s good - but maybe just a hair behind AT and BT. But he’s also still developing. Remember his back sorry - he’s not had a lot of playing experience. So he can be the third corner this year, and odds are one of AT/BT (probably BT IMO) goes pro early - and George is primed to start in ‘21.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back