FCS Football

VolunteerHillbilly

Spike Drinks, Not Trees
Last I checked, the SoCon, Southland, and OVC still plan to play football this Fall. Assuming some or all of them play, what are the chances they will get more exposure in terms of televised games and sports media coverage? Also, will Vegas start making odds for these games in order to fill some of the the void left by the PAC-12 and Big10? I think getting odds for FCS games and creating legitimate gambling interest could be part of the key to saving these programs. Once people get used to betting on FCS, the sports media will have to give it more coverage.

Reactions: feathersax
I think Vegas has called off all college football betting this season.

I always thought they should move to the spring to bump their numbers up. I dont think ESPN would pick up a full season but some of the smaller broadcasters might. And personally I am football starved enough in the spring to watch FCS level play. Or make it true Div 2 or 3 in the spring.

Reactions: Gandalf and hog88
Well. The Southland just 'postponed'. SoCon and OVC could still play and let their conference champions play for a self-declared championship.

Bama and Florida are leaving licking their chops hoping to schedule one of these teams.....
I think the only reason they did not postpone all games is that Citadel and VMI have games scheduled respectively against Clemson and UVA, which can still be played under the ACC's one in-state OOC rival policy. This will put the pressure on those ACC teams to cancel the games and pay some sort of compensation should they not want to play.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Word I got was that SoCon was canceled, but . . . with all the cancellations, some schools are trying to schedule OOC "money" games with conferences that are playing and still allowing a nonconference opponent.
Read the same thing from Allen L. Home games highly doubtful. I'm sure they're trying but I just don't know who they could play. Maybe Tech?

I don't see how they do it. Its got to be a huge money loser without a couple money games.
The networks should be dying for program content now that the Mountain West, PAC-12 and BIG10 are out. Probably too late to start getting any TV deals worked out to leverage this, however. But at least they could get some TV exposure.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
The networks should be dying for program content now that the Mountain West, PAC-12 and BIG10 are out. Probably too late to start getting any TV deals worked out to leverage this, however. But at least they could get some TV exposure.
I assume that most FCS schools have deals with ESPN+ for streaming. Not sure if that is an impediment to traditional broadcast.

I think Vegas has called off all college football betting this season.

I always thought they should move to the spring to bump their numbers up. I dont think ESPN would pick up a full season but some of the smaller broadcasters might. And personally I am football starved enough in the spring to watch FCS level play. Or make it true Div 2 or 3 in the spring.
Well for us football junkies, we might get to watch College Football from Sept. thru May. :)

I remember watching a little AAA baseball in late summer '94 when TBS, WGN, ESPN filled content with it during the MLB strike. I just didn't care about the Richmond Braves to keep watching though. It sounds great in theory but no one is tuning into Murray State vs Tennessee Tech in numbers to make up the cost of sending a production crew there.

Reactions: TrueOrange
I remember watching a little AAA baseball in late summer '94 when TBS, WGN, ESPN filled content with it during the MLB strike. I just didn't care about the Richmond Braves to keep watching though. It sounds great in theory but no one is tuning into Murray State vs Tennessee Tech in numbers to make up the cost of sending a production crew there.
It probably attracts more eyeballs on a Thursday night than caber tossing, though.

Well for us football junkies, we might get to watch College Football from Sept. thru May. :)
I am fine with "them" moving to the spring to increase exposure.

I know I would find a lower level team or two to cheer for.

This is why I said ESPN would be overkill. But I think some smaller crews/shows would do just fine.

The HBCUs, usually Alcorn State and NC A&T, have a bowl game with the rest of the big guys. No idea how it does. But that would be a good place to start a study.

Austin Peay vs Central Arkansas prime time Saturday night on ESPN.
Let's Go Peay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
giphy.gif

Houston Baptist out and Houston Coogs in?

Haven't played them since the SWC broke up; it takes a global pandemic to get them back on the field together.

VN Store

Back