'21 JUCO SDE Alex Lemon

“Right now, personally, I’m trying to go somewhere SEC or ACC — whatever school is the best option for me,” said Lemon, who’s ranked the No. 13 overall junior-college prospect and No. 2 juco strongside defensive end in the 2021 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

“I plan on taking a visit to Knoxville once the no-contact period is over with. Besides Arkansas, (Tennessee) is probably the only school I plan on visiting once the (dead) period’s over.”

“We talked and everything, and (Osovet) said Coach Pruitt wanted to talk to me and had good news for me,” Lemon said. “Talked to Coach Pruitt for maybe about 15, 20 minutes, and that’s when he gave me the news that I had a full ride to the University of Tennessee.

“Coach Pruitt basically was explaining to me that, I think he said it was about four or five defensive linemen that are supposed to be graduating this coming year, and he had a few young guys that were pretty good — a couple freshmen, sophomores — but he needed an older presence to come in.

“So far, he was saying I’m the only juco guy that he’s recruited. But he just needs somebody to come in and play for him right away and just be, like, a leader for the younger D-linemen.”
callahan

Not a fan of taking JUCOs. Nearly every one is a serious academic or character risk. From memory, we’ve had three catch serious criminal charges in the last couple of years.

Not a fan of taking JUCOs. Nearly every one is a serious academic or character risk. From memory, we’ve had three catch serious criminal charges in the last couple of years.
If you don't take Juco's, you don't get the Pattersons, Kamaras, or the Littles of the world. Hell, Aaron Rogers was a Juco guy... If 1/10 work out like those guys, they're worth the risk

Worth noting that we have 6 DL running out of eligibility after this season. It's been speculated that 1 or 2 seniors could take a strategic RS this year. Lemon said Pruitt told him they're losing 4 or 5 DL...hmm

Two of Bumphus, Butler, and Savion.

I hope we RS Butler tbh, would be fantastic to have back next year imo, but we may need him this season.

Reactions: Devo182
If you don't take Juco's, you don't get the Pattersons, Kamaras, or the Littles of the world. Hell, Aaron Rogers was a Juco guy... If 1/10 work out like those guys, they're worth the risk

Three out of our last five have been charged with felonies. Count me out.

I would play Butler in 4 games. Bumphus in the other 4 games. Both sit Vandy and Arkansas
In theory that sounds great but you never know when you’ll need them to step or if they would even be receptive to a redshirt year.

I would play Butler in 4 games. Bumphus in the other 4 games. Both sit Vandy and Arkansas
Man Butler played really well for us at times last year. I wouldn't think he'd get a RS.

Blakely, Williams, K. Harris would be candidates I would think.

Butler is more valuable than Bumphus. Question is would either agree to do it or if other DL got injured and they both had to play

Last edited:
Man Butler played really well for us at times last year. I wouldn't think he'd get a RS.

The only seniors that haven’t been rs yet are Savion, Bumphus, and Butler. Out of these guys Butler is the one you should RS. Bumphus is a decent player but gains nothing by coming back. Savion could also benefit from RS.

VQ guys don't think the staff wants to RS Savion.

I don't think we have the luxury of red shirting Butler. Maybe Bumphus.

Blakely and Harris already redshirted and something academic happened that wiped out Williams first season after high school. I think if he COULD have redshirted last season...he would’ve.

Reactions: orangevolcano
Blakely and Harris already redshirted and something academic happened that wiped out Williams first season after high school. I think if he COULD have redshirted last season...he would’ve.
I was more thinking they would use the covid opt-out, which I'd bet will be available to players without losing the year of eligibility. The thing about that hypothetical is there would be no 4 games to play with. But of course we don't know for sure yet how the NCAA will treat such situations.

The only seniors that haven’t been rs yet are Savion, Bumphus, and Butler. Out of these guys Butler is the one you should RS. Bumphus is a decent player but gains nothing by coming back. Savion could also benefit from RS.
Butler is slotted for DE2 and Bumphus for DE3. Not sure how large the dropoff is between them, but if you could rotate him in for UF, UGA, Bama, and LSU you might be able to pull it off. Big O honestly might even be good enough to rotate into the second unit which would make it even easier.

I'm curious to see how the ncaa will handle the 4 games and still RS. Will they bump it down to 3 or 2 games?? If they do bump it down, I just don't see how we could RS Butler and Bumphus. I think Savion was a miss and no need in keeping him around. Hopefully I'll eat crow on that. But he'll who knows..... maybe big O and Barron will show out, straight out the Gate!! All I know is... I'm looking forward to some football 🍊🏈😎

Three out of our last five have been charged with felonies. Count me out.
So we are simply going to stereotype every JUCO player as a potential criminal. That's some amazing logic there. How about, and I am just spit-balling here, we recruit THE RIGHT JUCO kids? Maybe, or nah?

Reactions: ChiTownVol
So we are simply going to stereotype every JUCO player as a potential criminal. That's some amazing logic there. How about, and I am just spit-balling here, we recruit THE RIGHT JUCO kids? Maybe, or nah?

Risk vs reward isn’t there when you take into account the character, academic, and talent hit rate on the recruits we’ve signed.

VN Store

Back