Coronavirus (No politics)

So many reports about long term heart damage, even in young people who did not require hospitalization. We may have a generation or two who die off relatively young.

I'm listening to a practicing pulmonologist (sp?) talk about a European study that says there are cases where people with proven cases of covid19 either did not develop antibodies or developed antibodies but the antibodies have died off. This plus the cases where people who recovered and tested negative have later relapsed suggest that herd immunity is not possible with this virus, or that it's going to take a hell of a lot more than 1% death rate to accomplish.

Think my mom has it, still waiting on her test result. Couldnt taste anything and had trouble breathing on friday, over the weekend progressed to flu like symptoms. As of yesterday she was feeling a little better. Thankfully she is 51 and in decent health.
Seems pretty likely she’s positive. Hope she’s better soon.

Seems pretty likely she’s positive. Hope she’s better soon.
Moms test (finally) came back today. It was positive. Luckily she hasnt had any symptoms or fever for 7 days so she was cleared to go to work. And I cleared her to see me on my birthday tomorrow :)

Imo it's also worth noting my sister lives with my mom and my sister was very sick in Feb. and it was not the flu. She went to the dr multiple times and they couldnt figure it out but after a few weeks she was better. I think she had it then and that's why she didnt catch it from my mom this past month.

Last edited:
I'm listening to a practicing pulmonologist (sp?) talk about a European study that says there are cases where people with proven cases of covid19 either did not develop antibodies or developed antibodies but the antibodies have died off. This plus the cases where people who recovered and tested negative have later relapsed suggest that herd immunity is not possible with this virus, or that it's going to take a hell of a lot more than 1% death rate to accomplish.

The information being discussed now is leaning towards the antibodies waning significantly after 90 days however they suspect the T cells in the body will remember the virus and mount another antibody response. There is a fairly young man I think in Texas in his upper 20's with no known comorbidities who contracted Covid 19 and he had trouble breathing and had to be treated at the hospital, he went on and donated his plasma after recovering. He tested positive for it again after several months but his illness the second time was nowhere near as bad as the first and he had no trouble breathing. The discussion is still ongoing as to whether the virus was contracted twice in that relatively short period of time OR if the virus merely went dormant in certain people and resurfaced. The information is all still fluid and unfortunately not definitive yet.

Last edited:
The information being discussed now is leaning towards the antibodies waning significantly after 90 days however they suspect the T cells in the body will remember the virus and mount another antibody response. There is a fairly young man I think in Texas in his upper 20's with no known comorbidities who contracted Covid 19 and he had trouble breathing and had to be treated at the hospital, he went on and donated his plasma after recovering. He tested positive for it again after several months but his illness the second time was nowhere near as bad as the first and he had no trouble breathing. The discussion is still ongoing as to whether the virus was contracted twice in that relatively short period of time OR if the virus merely went dormant in certain people and resurfaced. The information is all still fluid and unfortunately not definitive yet.

Too late. Its out there. What is said now cannot be retracted later regardless of new information. Science is settled after the first observation and arguments are won on the words about those observations.

Our niece in Knoxville tested positive yesterday. She had body aches, 101 fever, fatigue, and loss of taste and smell. So far no breathing problems.
She graduated from UT in June 2020.

I honestly don't think it will be a college football season this year, they might try but in my opinion it won't last. Hope i am wrong, l love those fall Saturdays. GBO
Unfortunately, I think you may be correct. Seeing what is happening in MLB, and , in some degree the NBA, football could be in trouble. This virus is not going away and I don't think we will ever reach herd immunity until an effective vaccine is developed. The biggest question is how long will the antibodies from the vaccine, or even the disease, will last. The key to controlling the disease may be geting rapid testing results and developing an effective treatment which can be administered immediately after diagonsis. I also think that more knowledge will be gained about the long term severity of complications resulting from the disease in all age groups. Hopefully, this knowledge can be gathered by the end of the year.

Unfortunately, I think you may be correct. Seeing what is happening in MLB, and , in some degree the NBA, football could be in trouble. This virus is not going away and I don't think we will ever reach herd immunity until an effective vaccine is developed. The biggest question is how long will the antibodies from the vaccine, or even the disease, will last. The key to controlling the disease may be geting rapid testing results and developing an effective treatment which can be administered immediately after diagonsis. I also think that more knowledge will be gained about the long term severity of complications resulting from the disease in all age groups. Hopefully, this knowledge can be gathered by the end of the year.

All the testing for C-19 is like closing the barn door after the horse has run off. Until we have a vaccine that prevents C-19 we just have to live with it. I for one (there are many of us) think the hospital's ability, or lack there of, is the big reason for the reaction we are seeing right now. Which brings me to the question: Early on Nashville and Memphis set up hospitals (limited use) with 1000+ beds in convention centers. (Nashville that is, not sure where Memphis's was/is) What became of them, are they still "set up"? Have not heard a word of them for 2-3 months.

All the testing for C-19 is like closing the barn door after the horse has run off. Until we have a vaccine that prevents C-19 we just have to live with it. I for one (there are many of us) think the hospital's ability, or lack there of, is the big reason for the reaction we are seeing right now. Which brings me to the question: Early on Nashville and Memphis set up hospitals (limited use) with 1000+ beds in convention centers. (Nashville that is, not sure where Memphis's was/is) What became of them, are they still "set up"? Have not heard a word of them for 2-3 months.
I don't know, but I have not heard of any shortages of bed space in the ERs and ICUs. Very good question. I will see if I can find an answer. Very difficult to find the data. As of July16, about 16 % of ICU and ER bed were available compared to their goal of no fewer than 205 should be vacant. Since that time, I know that reported cases have increased and that addition beds have been occupied. While not stated, On cn assume that those beds in special locations are still in use. If I find additional data, I will post it.

Last edited:
Reactions: savannahfan
If people did not take slowing the spread seriously, there would be a bed shortage.
Those who chose to not be serious, should be remembered as not caring for the health and well being of the higher risk groups( the elderly, people of different skin colors, the poor, people with health issues)

Last edited:
Reactions: Go aeiou

If there had been no quarantine then we would already have herd immunity. Everybody hoping for an effective vaccine that may never happen. What then? Make social distancing and masks the norm? People actually think this is about Covid.

If there had been no quarantine then we would already have herd immunity. Everybody hoping for an effective vaccine that may never happen. What then? Make social distancing and masks the norm? People actually think this is about Covid.
Please, O Wise One, enlighten the unwashed masses on what it IS about.

I have lost a friend. Fatalities are real and horrible. Thank God, most don't die.
Slowing the spread is about being able to treat and take care of the people that get sick.

Sorry for your friend. Your reasoning though will fall on deaf ears. If the virus isn't capable of taking down The Ultimate Warrior in his coke-fueled prime, the virus is a big wimp and should be disregarded.

Reactions: tbh and tnutater

Memphis' was in the old Commercial Appeal building. With the spikes in the last few weeks, there was discussion of possibly opening it up. But my understanding is that the state has to sign off on its use.

Reactions: savannahfan
I had it back in late April my experience was pretty mild had a sore throat a dry cough and a 102 degree fever for a couple days after the 4th day I was feeling much better. The worst thing was when I went back to work and my co workers acted like I had leprosy or something they didn’t want to get too close to me. I’m still not sure how I got it but if I had to guess I probaly got it from a trip I took too Pennsylvania in mid April cause I got sick shortly after. This virus definitely effects everybody differently though I’m 42 years old luckily in good health and never hardly get sick thankfully I didn’t end up in the hospital like so many other people have.

Last edited:
y
There is no evidence that we will ever obtain herd immunity even if an effective vaccine is developed. If fact, it appears that the antibodies wane so quickly that antibodies will last no more than 12 months. That would mean that everyone would have to be vaccinated every year. Based on the present uptake of Flu vaccine, around 50% of the high risk population do not get the vaccine. Most scientist believe that this virus will be around for a long time and will likely become less virulent as the years roll along( similar to H1N1 has in last 30-40 years. Remember, Covid-19 has the same base as the common cold and no vaccine has ever been developed for it. Some think the 3-4 most common cold virus have been around for thousands of years and was very deadly when it first appeared.

A lot more will be learned about Covid-19 in the next 2-4 years which will help the scientist better understand its epidemiology.

Reactions: Go aeiou

VN Store

Back