'21 TN PG Kennedy Chandler (Tennessee commit 08.14.20)

Yes. Echoing Vols All Day's earlier post, overall this feels more like the waiting game we had with Jaden Springer's commitment last October. While anything is possible, it does feel like just a matter of when. I wonder if the NCAA's dead period is a factor. If I remember correctly, it currently lasts until the end of August (?). If they continue to extend it, it will be more difficult for recruits to take their on campus official visits.
Sounds like you need a beer.....

There might be breadcrumbs, but not like it's "hey, Chandler and Banchero are coming to UT." That just doesn't happen with coaches to media.
Now, in the interest of transparency, do I think anyone on the staff is picking up the phone as a cold call to Brent Hubbs or Rob Lewis to inform them of a kid’s decision? No. But I do think that they will often confirm Tennessee’s position with a player to certain media members that they have solid relationships with, as a favor. And that works both ways. When the staff needs a situation spun a certain way in the media, they can rely on those same people to report things in a positive light. Just like any other business, it is a “you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours” industry.

My statement was not intended specifically for you, and yes, I do agree with your synopsis. My point is, and has been, that coaches don't give the media information that would divulge any specific leanings or decisions to the media. Reading "between-the-lines" is what most media members do in arriving at their conclusions.

Semantics play a role here as well. What do you mean specifically when you say coaches will "often confirm Tennessee's position with a player to certain media members." Does that mean they will tell media members of commitments, be they silent?

Semantics play a role here as well. What do you mean specifically when you say coaches will "often confirm Tennessee's position with a player to certain media members." Does that mean they will tell media members of commitments, be they silent?
Sure, possibly, in no uncertain terms. Perhaps speaking in code, same as VQ does with their readers, in an effort to maintain plausible deniability. You call it reading between the lines, but it essentially means the same thing. In turn, those certain, fortunate media members inside that inner circle have an obligation to not out a recruit who wishes to remain a silent commit. Betray the coaches trust, and by proxy, the kids trust, and their access is cut off, damaging their reputation and career.

Brent Hubbs (hypothetically):
"Coach, off the record, how do you feel your chances are with Prospect X?"

Coach:
"Well, Brent, as you know, we cannot mention recruits by name on the record, so, off the record, let's just say we really like where we currently stand with him. We suspect to hear some good news within the next two weeks." (wink)

Brent Hubbs to VQ readers:
"We continue to hear that Tennessee likes where they stand with Prospect X, and we are hearing that recruitment could be coming to an end in the near future. Auburn and Georgia cannot be overlooked, but we like where Tennessee currently stands."

$9.99, thank you!

Sure, possibly, in no uncertain terms. Perhaps speaking in code, same as VQ does with their readers, in an effort to maintain plausible deniability. You call it reading between the lines, but it essentially means the same thing. In turn, those certain, fortunate media members inside that inner circle have an obligation to not out a recruit who wishes to remain a silent commit. Betray the coaches trust, and by proxy, the kids trust, and their access is cut off, damaging their reputation and career.

Brent Hubbs (hypothetically):
"Coach, off the record, how do you feel your chances are with Prospect X?"

Coach:
"Well, Brent, as you know, we cannot mention recruits by name on the record, so, off the record, let's just say we really like where we currently stand with him. We suspect to hear some good news within the next two weeks." (wink)

Brent Hubbs to VQ readers:
"We continue to hear that Tennessee likes where they stand with Prospect X, and we are hearing that recruitment could be coming to an end in the near future. Auburn and Georgia cannot be overlooked, but we like where Tennessee currently stands."

$9.99, thank you!
The very last sentence 👏👏

The wait continues for five star Kennedy Chandler to either make a surprise announcement. Chandler and his father have both insisted that they would like to wait and take official visits in the fall if they’re permissible. However, the buzz that the nation’s top point guard is ready to pop for Tennessee hasn’t exact died down completely.

No matter how you look at it, the feeling now seems to be that Tennessee is the clear-cut leader for the No. 10 ranked player in the Class of 2020.
-VQ.

I feel like anyone putting their Crystal Balls in at this point are just riding the huge initial surge that happened a few weeks back. But who knows.
Same here, but noteworthy that they aren't coming in for anyone else, which I can only assume is good news. The picks are almost certainly not based on anything new.

Same here, but noteworthy that they aren't coming in for anyone else, which I can only assume is good news. The picks are almost certainly not based on anything new.
I liked the Memphis one considering Chandlers family is still in Memphis, and he is too for now. Not sure when he moves to Oklahoma or Kansas, wherever he’s going lol

Reactions: cncchris33
Yes the video struck me as him being more excited about the first 3 schools. Hopefully I’m all wet.
I think the guy interviewing him was more interested in talking about the other schools. He brought up Tennessee last, and called us "up and coming", which I thought was a little strange. Tennessee was ranked #1 in the country for a good portion of the 2019 season and made the Sweet 16. It's hard to read much into what Chandler was saying... because the guy interviewing him wasn't showing Tennessee much respect.

VN Store

Back