Legitimate season

Thinking 6-4 as a real possibility. Hopefully, we beat the expected and knock off a couple unexpected and finish 8-2. Like others, I am pleased the season has not been canceled.

Reactions: VolDave53
In the SEC it's honestly more of a legitimate season. You're playing 10 SEC teams instead of 8. That's harder by default. Now the other conferences...eh lol

Reactions: GMRobbins
Will any of y’all consider this to be a legitimate season? with everything that has happened with the pandemic. Will the history books look back and say this season was more or less a write off assuming we finish the season. I’m having a hard time myself getting excited like I usually am this close to football season me and my dad were going to Norman for the OU and now it’s been canceled. It’s going to be so weird too with no fans in Neyland or the band playing Rocky Top the pageantry and loud fans are such a huge part of college football as we all know.

OOC games never made a season "legit". In most years its 4 automatic wins *should be automatic unless you're the Vols* and occasionally you play an actual hard OOC game, but not every year.

Yeah *IF* this season actually happens it would be at least as hard of a schedule to play, if not harder. Assuming you replace Oklahoma with TAMU, Auburn or LSU and then you're replacing a cupcake game with another SEC opponent. The net effect is you're dropping two virtually meaningless cupcakes from the schedule.

The real question is, will you consider it a legit season if they only get to play 5 or 6 games?

Two primary considerations: 1. Will the season even be allowed to finish? If not, obviously the answer to your question is "no." Secondary question is if the season does finish, but key players on multiple teams have to sit out games. That will create controversy over the legitimacy of the season.

The season is forever tagged with an asterisk anyway, but if all teams play their 10 games, it is legit in terms of SEC.

Reactions: 08Vol
Anyone honestly (without looking through blindly optimistic lenses) think that the season will go through, stem to stern, without delay or totally being nixed? I just can’t. Public schools where I live will go full distance learning if just ONE student tests positive. And you know that will happen. I know I’ll get roasted by veteran posting police, because I’m sure there are other threads discussing this subject. My two cents, with no sense to give.
I can see at some point the schedule changing to divisional opponents only and being very spaced out. With the prayer of having an SECCG.

What's going to the bowl game requirement?
The conferences not playing 2-3 OOC "buy" games, the power conferences won't have as many eligible teams, will bowl games pick who they want without any requirements?
would the Music City select a 4-6 TN team or have to take a 5-5 smaller school?

The conferences not playing 2-3 OOC "buy" games, the power conferences won't have as many eligible teams, will bowl games pick who they want without any requirements?
7 loss teams will be excluded?

I get that, but the reason were doing it takes some of the umph out for me, not to mention missing out on the Oklahoma game.

I'm not complaining and I'm not saying it doesn't seem legitimate, but if I had a choice, I'd play the schedule we had.
Its different for sure.

Hopefully they try and reschedule the OU game in the future. Its time we settle up with them.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
He plugged up the iceberg hole in the ship last year and got it moving again.

Next step, don't hit anymore icebergs and move up another notch.
I agree.

Got new coaches all over the place this year and that was gonna be a challenge in itself. I think he'll step up but he's definitely got a lot on his plate. Can't complain about recruiting and how he's handled the off season imo.

The SEC is reworking the schedule now since a few SEC games were scheduled to take place before 9/26. It wouldn’t surprise me if they front load the schedule with rivalry games to ensure they get played. With our luck we will lose to Bama and UF then have the season cancelled.

I agree.

Got new coaches all over the place this year and that was gonna be a challenge in itself. I think he'll step up but he's definitely got a lot on his plate. Can't complain about recruiting and how he's handled the off season imo.

That group last year could have easily just mailed it in after the UF game. Between the finish to his first year and Jones walking out with an 8 L season it could have very easily ended there. And that happens if the team doesn't trust the guy leading them. Its a worn out saying but you have to get them to buy into what your doing. If that doesn't happen I dont care how much football you know.

Still worried about QB. It has to be better and more consistent. Regardless of who that is. But not reason we shouldn't be deeper and more talented at a lot of other spots.

The question is what will they do with post season. Will there be bowls (kinda hard if conferences don’t allow play ooc now).
Bowls without fans (defeats the purpose of the bowl games).
With no common opponents, who are the top 4 teams (purely subjective at that point).

Yeah it’s different than normal but also exciting

Bowls make most of their revenue from ESPN. This is why we have so many bowls that have almost no fans attending. The bowls would love to sell out and for the bigger ones it does add to how much they make. However ESPN and sponsors pay more than enough for the bowls to turn a nice profit even without ticket sales.

That group last year could have easily just mailed it in after the UF game. Between the finish to his first year and Jones walking out with an 8 L season it could have very easily ended there. And that happens if the team doesn't trust the guy leading them. Its a worn out saying but you have to get them to buy into what your doing. If that doesn't happen I dont care how much football you know.

Still worried about QB. It has to be better and more consistent. Regardless of who that is. But not reason we shouldn't be deeper and more talented at a lot of other spots.

We lost the team leaders on offense and defense that really led that turnaround. Hopefully some of the juniors step up into those roles, but it’s hard without spring practice, normal summer workouts, and normal fall camp.

I would assume 5 games, but they could make it 4 wins. Who knows if smaller schools are even playing. Probably can't afford it without the payouts from playing these bigger schools.

I take every day, month, year of my life as being blessed. We are lucky to have NASCAR and Baseball. I am thankful and enjoy sports. If we play ten games within the SEC, Wow! This may go down as the greatest season of classic football ever. I just hope a) the referees do a lot better job and they take their time with the games to get play calls right b) there are fewer that normal injuries and "bad" things that happen, and c) we come out on top at the end. I still believe there is a way to get some fans in the seats. Maybe a lottery for season ticket holder, got to wear masks to and from seats, bring your own concessions, have a pay for use bathroom to pay for constant disinfecting. Go Vols. VFL. It is soon to be "Football time in Tennessee".

We lost the team leaders on offense and defense that really led that turnaround. Hopefully some of the juniors step up into those roles, but it’s hard without spring practice, normal summer workouts, and normal fall camp.

Some of them yes. I wouldn't say all. But as Behr said we have recruited pretty well and have built some depth.

Everybody is dealing with different right now. Its not just UT.

Legitimate, yes. Maybe it changes for me once the season starts, I'm sure it will....just hard to get real excited with everything going on and the reason behind it. GBO!

VN Store

Back