Breaking: SEC Approves Conference Only Schedule - Season starts Sep 26

This SEC announcement reminds me of the 2 fleas arguing over who owns the dog.

That aside, this type scheduling is advantage for this teams with senior QB's. I know its not clear how our QB will do but certainly he will be running the whole playbook in the 1st game. That is an advantage by itself.

I posted this on another thread. If this is actually the teams added, which is up for debate right now,
UGA and UT will have basically the same schedule.
UGA plays Alabama and Auburn. We play Alabama and LSU. We both play Arkansas. UGA plays MSU and we play Ole Miss. We basically be the same schedule.
I appreciate that, but we replace Oklahoma with LSU and UGA replaces ND with two bottom feeders. See the problem?

Reactions: Vfl2407
Well, you have to keep in mind that Georgia already has Alabama and Auburn on their schedule. There is no way to do this in a completely equitable fashion... but it wouldn't be fair to put LSU on their schedule, when they already have those two.

And I wouldn't be so concerned about playing Ole Miss... you seem to be suggesting that we should feel apprehensive about playing them because of Kiffin. I don't feel that way at all.
We replace Oklahoma with LSU. UGA replaces ND with Arkansas. You have to look at what the schedules were replacing.

This is nothing more than the first step in cancelling the season. They are buying time praying that when school starts there is not a virus apocalypse. First it's this, next it will be division only games, finally it will be buh-bye season. I hope that doesnt happen but really this is not a "resolution" to the problem. The season is still very much on life support.

Yep. Teetering...

We replace Oklahoma with LSU. UGA replaces ND with Arkansas. You have to look at what the schedules were replacing.
There is no way to do this with equitable schedules... but the schedules are never completely fair anyway. I suppose Georgia could have drawn Texas A&M, but the SEC probably didn't want that because Georgia played Texas A&M last year. It wouldn't be fair to put LSU on their schedule when they already have Alabama (on the road) and Auburn.

There is no way to do this with equitable schedules... but the schedules are never completely fair anyway. I suppose Georgia could have drawn Texas A&M, but the SEC probably didn't want that because Georgia played Texas A&M last year. It wouldn't be fair to put LSU on their schedule when they already have Alabama (on the road) and Auburn.
Are you unaware that UT plays Bama every year? So UGA gets a break this year because they finally catch them in the regular season? Sorry, but that’s bs. The SEC is putting their schedule behind who they think their best horse is to win the race.

This is nothing more than the first step in cancelling the season. They are buying time praying that when school starts there is not a virus apocalypse. First it's this, next it will be division only games, finally it will be buh-bye season. I hope that doesnt happen but really this is not a "resolution" to the problem. The season is still very much on life support.
I agree with this. It's a moot discussion.

Are you unaware that UT plays Bama every year? So UGA gets a break this year because they finally catch them in the regular season? Sorry, but that’s bs. The SEC is putting their schedule behind who they think their best horse is to win the race.
Yes, I am... but Georgia always plays Auburn. Adding LSU to their schedule would be Draconian, and they just played Texas A&M last year.

UGA wasn’t going to play ND this season. They were playing UVA in Atlanta. It’s just moving up the next 2 years rotating opponents.

I think the first point you listed definitely played a huge part in the decision. What I view as the number one reason for this, though, is the additional time it allows to see what happens with the virus once students are back on campus before ever actually playing any games. It just makes sense logistically from that standpoint.

My gut tells me the virus will be extremely difficult to contain with so many students on campus which bodes poorly for there being a college football season. Schools can implement all the rules they want regarding masks and social distancing, but at the end of the day these are college kids. Those rules will be broken eventually.
I do agree the time aspect via the delayed start yet have been a huge factor.

I also have outlandish theories too. For example what if the league wants more SEC games and this situation gives them a chance to try it out under the guise of Covid-19? You get to try it out without upsetting the traditional types.

I’m about ready for all of you “sadly, no season”, “but none of this will matter bc we aren’t going to have a season”, “they aren’t playing” people to eat crow. I’m so sick of the constantly negative people...

I just finished my certification training for COVID contact tracing.

Everyone needs to understand that if a player gets the disease, he's guaranteed to miss the next two weeks of games and practices, and some will need a third week to get back into game shape.

The players who were in close contact with that player--which could include players on the opposing team--will have to be quarantined for 14 days from last infectuous period contact with that player. In effect, when one player gets it, you likely lose 4-6 players for the next two weeks, regardless of whether they contract the disease.

The school I work at is in football camp now, mostly limited to walk-throughs and highly isolated workouts. We owe it to the players to try to have a season, to give them another year to develop their abilities.

But fans should think of this "season" as a series of week-to-week, game condition scrimmages, based on how many players can take the field each week.

If everyone was being realistic (and it would be unrealistic to expect anyone to do so), we would have (voluntary) team COVID parties right now and expose every player who doesn't have a pre-existing condition which puts him at risk for the nasty stuff. Then we'd hope for the best: that T-cells would provide enough immunity against further infection to allow normal practice and play, and herd immunity would prevail.

But... under what conditions would you let your boy purposefully expose himself to that disease? And what about the coaches? Obesity is one of those at-risk conditions for dying from exposure to SARS-CoV-2.

The CCP screwed the world big-time by not shutting down travel as soon as their scientists knew it had achieved human-to-human transmission. The CCP started this pandemic! Don't expect "normal" to return for at least another year.

Reactions: Helton1
The crappy thing about football and this virus is that there are so many players on a football team and this virus is so contagious. In just one football game you have, lets say 30 different players per team see action on the field. That's 60 players plus all the other bench guys, trainers and coaches on the sidelines. If just one person on that field has covid, within a week you could have 30 or 40 people test positive. And that's just from ONE game. Football is probably the worst possible sport for the spread of this virus.

I agree. They're trying to manage an unmanageable situation. Selfishly, of course I want football to happen but I think it's a mistake and the season may start but frankly I don't think it will finish.

I'm reading into this that they are thinking by Sept 26, the case numbers will have died down. Makes sense.

Covid may have actually made this season a lot more interesting. Kinda like that year UT - Florida was postponed because of a hurricane - to the last game of the year. We won that one.

The victims are the Charlottes, ETSUs, Southern Miss and schools that rely on getting a payout for a practice game. Oh, and yes, Georgia State too. They are going to take a hit, unless the big boy conferences has to pay them anyway, and I don't know the answer to that. Anybody know?
That hurricane is commonly referred to as 9/11.

It’s pretty straight forward. We play one permanent opponent from the west and one rotates. The just accelerated the rotating opponent to include the 2021-2022 games. I can’t think of a more fair way to do it. And if you need a silver lining, here are a few: (1) Florida drew Bama and A&M, the two best teams in the west; (2) We will never see another season when Tennessee, Florida, and UGA all play Bama in the regular season; (3) We get to play Lane in year 1 instead of year 2.

Reactions: CA_Vol
IF we’re able to get the whole schedule in, I wonder if after experiencing a 10 game SEC schedule, fans and TV people won’t start begging for more conference games in the future and less G5 and FCS cupcakes.

It’s not about that.
It’s about a revised tv contract that will keep all of the money in conference.

I agree, that and also if all games are conference you have full control as a conference. No deferring to other institution on away OOC games with P5 teams as issues come up..

Reactions: GAVol
Will Freshmen still get to play 4 games and keep Red shirt option? That will be just 1 game away from 1/2 a season. May be good to get some players in early in case the season goes cancel culture.

VN Store

Back