Learning a Second Language

So I've been tinkering around with the idea of learning a new language, Japanese, and seem to be getting mixed messages from multiple corners of Al Gore's internet (different spellings from different sites, which form of a word is "proper" vs "plain", how to say certain phrases, word meanings, etc.); Anyways, I figured it may be a good idea to start a thread where those over-achievers (read: nerds) of us could discuss such a topic: give tips, anecdotes about their experiences, maybe good products (Rosetta Stone, Primsluer, etc.), reviews of said products, you get the idea. For example: the best (free, heheh) website I've found for Japanese is 123 Japanese - Learn Japanese for free online; or at least it seems the most "professional". I've not found (or can afford currently) any further supplements at the moment but any suggestions would be much appreciated. :hi:
You still alive?

Reactions: DocVOLiday
I’m giving Spanish a shot for work and have done a few lessons from Pimsleur and have enjoyed them. They seem seem to teach conversation instead of just a bunch of random vocabulary words which I seem to retain better. Anyone have any others that have worked for them?
Having learned my Spanish by immersion, I can tell you that it is hard to substitute anything else for it. The apps and programs are great, but there isn't a replacement for just going out to live and talk it. Try and find a native speaker that has enough patience to work with you once a week or so.

Having learned my Spanish by immersion, I can tell you that it is hard to substitute anything else for it. The apps and programs are great, but there isn't a replacement for just going out to live and talk it. Try and find a native speaker that has enough patience to work with you once a week or so.
Yes, there's a lot to be said for this. The Haitian Kreyol I learned for my dissertation, I got from studying at night, but then going out every day and trying to use it in the markets and with farmers. Although Chinese might have more long term application ... study the language that most appeals to you. And a good start on lessons are right there for free, on Youtube.

A large portion of the patients I interact with in Dallas are Hispanic. If they are bilingual I ask if they mind if I practice my Spanish with them. Practical application has helped quite a bit, but it doesn’t force your hand like total immersion would

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back