Aggie looking for info about Vols football

GamerAg

Howdy Vols,

We are planning to move to TN soon. Daughter attended UTK for an event a couple years ago and loved it. She is considering being a Vol now. :)

I don't know much about Tennessee football/sports, other than the OT game at Kyle Field a couple years back.

Any important info us Aggies should know if we want to become adopted Vol fans?

Thanks, Gig 'Em, and GBO.

Yeah, that second thread is mine. Some good info in there about moving to/living in TN. Much appreciated.

Here I was looking more specifically for info about TN Football, becoming a Vol fan. Rivals? Traditions? etc.

Google: Vol walk, running through the power T, Vol Navy, Rocky Top etc, etc.

Things that a good UT fan knows

1. ESPN hates us.
2. Manning was robbed of Heisman.
3. Get "1980" into any discussion with an UGA fan
4. You "Wooo" at a Ric Flair promo. You dont "Wooo" during Rocky Top.
5. Never ever buy orange roses
6. If not for the Volunteer State, the other UT would be the University of North Mexico at Austin
7. Vol Twitter dont lose.
8. There is nothing like a Tennessee football coaching search.

Vol walk, Vol Navy, 3rd Saturday in October, stadium is named after General Robert Neyland (the greatest coach of all time), 102,455, we name roads after legends; i.e. manning, fulmer. Our play by play announcer for Vol football and basketball was John Ward until 1998. He was a treasure that passed recently and we all wish he still did the games. It feels like we have turned a corner and the Vols are back!

The 3 parts of the state are quite different. West Tn is the pits, East is, well different. The only place to live is Middle Tennessee. Try Sumner and Williamson counties first. Williamson is full of rich folks, think Titans, Preds, rich musicians and rich business people with the accompanying attitudes. Williamson is supposed to have the best public schools if you have school aged children although Merrill Hyde Magnet School in Hendersonville is rated the best high school in the state. I moved to Sumner county 35 years ago and love it. Has houses on Old Hickory lake (Kelly Clarkson's is for sale for $7.5 million) and rural areas that are quite nice. Shelby County (Memphis) and Davidson (Nashville) are the only 2 counties to vote Dem in 2016. My subdivision is full of out of staters. Native Tennesseans, which we are, are considered unicorns. I see lots of vehicles with out of state license plates all the time in my area. Lots of Illinois, Ohio, and New York but I see more Texas plates than any other.

Last edited:
Before the OT game you mentioned , you may have forgot but we played A&M in 2005 Cotton Bowl led by the other Clausen not Casey but Rick. Final score Vols 38- Aggies 07.
We have met A&M 3 times, Vols winning 2 and A&M winning the recent OT game.

I remember the Cotton Bowl, although I have tried to forget it. :p

1. ESPN hates us.
6. If not for the Volunteer State, the other UT would be the University of North Mexico at Austin

90% wooo during Rocky Top. Get over it lol

1. ESPN hates us.

I Like this! A LOT!!!!!

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Biggest rival is usually a debtate between Bama and UF and it's usually determined by your age. The younger side usually sees UF as the biggest rival, the older side sees Bama. Unfortunately we haven't been successful in either one of those as we've only beat Florida once since 04 and the last Bama win was 06. Vanderbilt and Kentucky look at us as their biggest rival but real UT fans just laugh at UK since they have beaten us twice in the past 30+ years or something like that. Vandy will always be little bro despite winning a few recently, but the trend is heading back to normal.

I would say a lot of UT fans would agree that UGA has the most delusional and ridiculous fanbase in the entirety of the SEC. They think that program is God's gift to football despite their last national title was 1980. Yeah they've been the best program in the East the past few years, but they still can't get over the hump. They will soon be third best as UF is already on the verge on surpassing them and I think UT can in a couple years or so.

To sum it up

**** Bama
**** UF
UGA = 1980 lol
UK = LOL
Vandy = lil bro
Mizzou = Meh still weird they're even in the SEC.
South Carolina = Bit more hatred lately as the rivalry has been pretty even the past 15 years or so but it should only be a matter of time before we view them in the same light as Kentucky hopefully.

The 3 parts of the state are quite different. West Tn is the pits, East is, well different, kinda has that "Deliverance" vibe. Knoxville feels kinda backward. The only place to live is Middle Tennessee. Try Sumner and Williamson counties first. Williamson is full of rich folks, think Titans, Preds, rich musicians and rich business people with the accompanying attitudes. Williamson is supposed to have the best public schools if you have school aged children although Merrill Hyde Magnet School in Hendersonville is rated the best high school in the state. I moved to Sumner county 35 years ago and love it. Has houses on Old Hickory lake (Kelly Clarkson's is for sale for $7.5 million) and rural areas that are quite nice. Shelby County (Memphis) and Davidson (Nashville) are the only 2 counties to vote Dem in 2016. My subdivision is full of out of staters. Native Tennesseans, which we are, are considered unicorns. I see lots of vehicles with out of state license plates all the time in my area. Lots of Illinois, Ohio, and New York but I see more Texas plates than any other.
junk post. Have lived in Middle Tennessee and East Tennessee. Knoxville is the only town I have ever moved back to. Lived in 8 states. Knoxville isn't backwards, it's remarkable. Would rather live back in Kansas than Nashville...seriously.

The 3 parts of the state are quite different. West Tn is the pits, East is, well different, kinda has that "Deliverance" vibe. Knoxville feels kinda backward. The only place to live is Middle Tennessee. Try Sumner and Williamson counties first. Williamson is full of rich folks, think Titans, Preds, rich musicians and rich business people with the accompanying attitudes. Williamson is supposed to have the best public schools if you have school aged children although Merrill Hyde Magnet School in Hendersonville is rated the best high school in the state. I moved to Sumner county 35 years ago and love it. Has houses on Old Hickory lake (Kelly Clarkson's is for sale for $7.5 million) and rural areas that are quite nice. Shelby County (Memphis) and Davidson (Nashville) are the only 2 counties to vote Dem in 2016. My subdivision is full of out of staters. Native Tennesseans, which we are, are considered unicorns. I see lots of vehicles with out of state license plates all the time in my area. Lots of Illinois, Ohio, and New York but I see more Texas plates than any other.
Middle Tennessee also contains the capital and a portion of the population that believes themselves superior to the rest of us. Most of the time they just turn out to be vandy fans.

The three regions are distinct. I'm an original southern middle Tennessee boy - down where no one goes without reason. However, I do love East Tennessee and the mountains. It's probably the most beautiful part of the state.

junk post. Have lived in Middle Tennessee and East Tennessee. Knoxville is the only town I have ever moved back to. Lived in 8 states. Knoxville isn't backwards, it's remarkable. Would rather live back in Kansas than Nashville...seriously.

When I went to UT in 1971 I was amazed at how bad the Knoxville TV stations were. Having grown up near Nashville I was used to very good local TV news broadcasts and the poor Knoxville TV was a shock. A girl I dated told me how a girl that lived on her dorm floor went to one of the local stations and applied for a weather girl spot and got hired without any previous experience as a broadcaster or meteorologist. Very low standards. I used to cringe at the poor local commercials like the Caz Walker supermarket commercials. If you've never seen one you have missed a butt puckering treat. To each his own. I lived in Birmingham for 3 years while in school after UT and it was the same way though. I talked to a newscaster once in Birmingham who said he was reading the news one night and the guy running the teleprompter was so high that he passed out and the teleprompter went off. I would choose East Tn over West Tn though. Knoxville is remarkable, lol, junk post right there.

Last edited:
Reactions: CR-vol
Vol walk, Vol Navy, 3rd Saturday in October, stadium is named after General Robert Neyland (the greatest coach of all time), 102,455, we name roads after legends; i.e. manning, fulmer. Our play by play announcer for Vol football and basketball was John Ward until 1998. He was a treasure that passed recently and we all wish he still did the games. It feels like we have turned a corner and the Vols are back!

1c121993209f27e850a7ec371ded8bab.jpg

VN Store

Back