Memphis trip -need advice

sonofUT62

Thinking of going to Memphis/Tunica for a weekend getaway soon. Haven’t been to Memphis in 20 years. Anyone with local knowledge have a bbq restaurant they like? It would also need to be in a safe neighborhood since I am taking wife. Thanks in advance.

BBQ Restaurants: (In safer areas)

Central BBQ (Do not go to the one on Summer, that area is kinda rough. The one on Poplar isn't as good as the one downtown or the one on Central Ave.)

Corky's (The one on Poplar. Avoid the others)

BBQ Shop on Madison

One and Only

Germantown Commissary

If you are going down to Tunica, Memphis BBQ Company is good as well (Southaven)

Thinking of going to Memphis/Tunica for a weekend getaway soon. Haven’t been to Memphis in 20 years. Anyone with local knowledge have a bbq restaurant they like? It would also need to be in a safe neighborhood since I am taking wife. Thanks in advance.
Germantown Commissary in Germantown is good. They have a new one in Collierville but not as good. Only issue with Germantown is it is a very SMALL place because it used to be a general store. Not sure how that is affected with COVID.

Central BBQ on Central Avenue is good and there is also a new location downtown. Plenty of outdoor seating at both.

The BBQ shop on Madison is great.

Avoid Corky's.

Rendesvous is typically the touristy thing to do. Don't get me wrong it is cool for that downtown atmosphere but I don't think it's the best BBQ in town.

Tops is good and they have several locations around town.

Cozy Corner looks shady but they have great food. Closer to downtown.

Also while you are in town try Gus's Fried Chicken on Mendenhall or the original downtown. it's way better than that Nashville trash. The downtown location you can buy 40's to wash down that hot chicken.

there's definitely some other really good places like Leonard's and Payne's but if you are freaked out about somewhat shady neighborhoods then I won't recommend them.

Also, not sure what your plans are but I would recommend checking out Loflin yard for beverages. It's a huge outdoor open space, plenty of area to socially distance while enjoying a beer. That being said it's hot as hell outside unfortunately.

Let me know if you are looking for anything else to do.

If you are a craft beer drinker check out Wise Acre. Best beer in town hands down. Not sure what is going on with their taproom right now. Last I heard you could reserve a spot online. That was in order to keep capacity limits down. They also have a huge outdoor area on site so there should be plenty of spac.e

Germantown Commissary in Germantown is good. They have a new one in Collierville but not as good. Only issue with Germantown is it is a very SMALL place because it used to be a general store. Not sure how that is affected with COVID.

Central BBQ on Central Avenue is good and there is also a new location downtown. Plenty of outdoor seating at both.

Avoid Corky's.

Rendesvous is typically the touristy thing to do. Don't get me wrong it is cool for that downtown atmosphere but I don't think it's the best BBQ in town.

Also while you are in town try Gus's Fried Chicken on Mendenhall or the original downtown. it's way better than that Nashville trash. The downtown location you can buy 40's to wash down that hot chicken.

The original Gus's is in Mason...

Not gonna be popular, but The Rendezvous. I haven't been in about 30 years, but my wife hates bbq, and we needed to take a friend who wanted it. The atmosphere is unique. In the basement of an old building. She said she loved it.

Hopefully your wife enjoys bbq.

Not gonna be popular, but The Rendezvous. I haven't been in about 30 years, but my wife hates bbq, and we needed to take a friend who wanted it. The atmosphere is unique. In the basement of an old building. She said she loved it.

dont get me wrong, nothing wrong with their bbq but if someone asked for the best I wouldn't say Rendesvous first but thats just me

Central on Central Avenue is my go to when we have family in town. Germantown Commissary is right behind, if you go there I’d go to the Collierville location as they actually have parking. Gus’s on Mendenhall or Uncle Lou’s if you want some very good fried chicken. Lou’s is not in a good area though.

If you find yourself downtown I think Rendezvous is terribly overrated. I’ve had some very bad meals there. Blues City Cafe on Beale has some very good ribs.

The Red Beans and Rice is really good (and free) during lunch on Fridays. The ribs are just too hit or miss for me. Some days they are awesome, some days they just meh by Memphis standards.

Atmosphere is cool though

dont get me wrong, nothing wrong with their bbq but if someone asked for the best I wouldn't say Rendesvous first but thats just me

I have no idea of the best. My point was if the spouse is not crazy about bbq she will still likely enjoy the unique atmosphere.

I used to have clients in Memphis years ago, and I still think Memphis bbq is much better than in Nashville.

Way back in the 70s I used to go to the P&H. I was told the name stood for poor and hungry and I was. A poor college student.

I have no idea of the best. My point was if the spouse is not crazy about bbq she will still likely enjoy the unique atmosphere.

I used to have clients in Memphis years ago, and I still think Memphis bbq is much better than in Nashville.

Way back in the 70s I used to go to the P&H. I was told the name stood for poor and hungry and I was. A poor college student.
P&H cafe still there

there's definitely some other really good places like Leonard's and Payne's but if you are freaked out about somewhat shady neighborhoods then I won't recommend them.

Also, not sure what your plans are but I would recommend checking out Loflin yard for beverages. It's a huge outdoor open space, plenty of area to socially distance while enjoying a beer. That being said it's hot as hell outside unfortunately.

Let me know if you are looking for anything else to do.
Leonard’s is an under rated Memphis BBQ. I love their spaghetti

Reactions: theFallGuy

Avoid Corky's.

Which one of these can we find BBQ sketti?

Gus’s on Mendenhall is also next to Gibson’s Donuts. Gibson Donuts are awesome
Germantown Commissary is very good

Reactions: ATC_VOL

VN Store

Back