I still don't understand all the animosity toward Butch Jones

Fulmer took his sweet deal from Hammy, came back for more (As AD) and people love him. I do think he's been a good AD, so far. Things seem to have stabilized under him.
I thought it would take him some time to get the business end of the job...I was wrong. He’s a natural, no b.s type.

Reactions: Boca Vol
I thought it would take him some time to get the business end of the job...I was wrong. He’s a natural, no b.s type.

Agree. I assumed he would be a "figurehead" and things would be status quo (chaos) on The Hill.

Reactions: butchna
When you have strong figure leading the organization that has been around a long time and everybody knows, that has a way of naturally getting people in line and pulling the same way. That person is going to command a certain level of respect right off the bat.

I do still wonder if he has the administrative chops for the job, but then again he was able to do something like get Rick Barnes to stay. If Currie, Hart, or Hamilton was the AD, I'm not sure they would have been able to pull that off.

When you have strong figure leading the organization that has been around a long time and everybody knows, that has a way of naturally getting people in line and pulling the same way. That person is going to command a certain level of respect right off the bat.

I do still wonder if he has the administrative chops for the job, but then again he was able to do something like get Rick Barnes to stay. If Currie, Hart, or Hamilton was the AD, I'm not sure they would have been able to pull that off.
On that note, I remember Bo Schembechler and he coasted on his Michigan legend to mixed results.

Reactions: Boca Vol
On that note, I remember Bo Schembechler and he coasted on his Michigan legend to mixed results.
That's funny, because IMO a big chunk of his Michigan legend is wrapped up in his firing of Bill Frieder/appointment of Steve Fisher right before the NCAAT in 1989, him talking about wanting a "Michigan man" to coach the team, and them going on to win the tournament somewhat unexpectedly. Schembechler left soon after that, but Fisher then went on to have the run with the Fab Five a few years later.

That's funny, because IMO a big chunk of his Michigan legend is wrapped up in his firing of Bill Frieder/appointment of Steve Fisher right before the NCAAT in 1989, him talking about wanting a "Michigan man" to coach the team, and them going on to win the tournament somewhat unexpectedly. Schembechler left soon after that, but Fisher then went on to have the run with the Fab Five a few years later.
I said mixed. I did remember that one instance. Most of his LEGEND was mired in his coaching stint...lots of wins but no N.C.

And FIsher got busted in one of the biggest scandals ever.

Which was what many were eagerly anticipating of Fulmer.
After the start to last season, some were begging for it to happen.. Fanbases are about as stable as uranium. On most gameday threads the HC is should be fired at least 10 times a game.

Fulmer took his sweet deal from Hammy, came back for more (As AD) and people love him. I do think he's been a good AD, so far. Things seem to have stabilized under him.
Fulmer made it well known when he got fired that wanted to continue coaching. Several times he publicly stated it. He didn't get the kind of offers he expected

After the start to last season, some were begging for it to happen.. Fanbases are about as stable as uranium. On most gameday threads the HC is should be fired at least 10 times a game.

Not really, Uranium-238 has a half life of about 4.47 billion years.;) But who's counting?:p

Reactions: chef3531
Fulmer made it well known when he got fired that wanted to continue coaching. Several times he publicly stated it. He didn't get the kind of offers he expected
I was one of those people who thought at the time Fulmer should have been fired, but even I was surprised at the lack of offers he got. He was not a hot commodity. If memory serves I think Louisville might have been interested, but that was about it.

Say Saban gets sick or has to be quarantined, Butch might be the one who takes his place. What if that happened against TN?

My animosity comes from him bleeding money from UT when he very well could have another head coaching job at a mid major somewhere. Him making 40 k a year as an analyst at Alabama guarantees he will get his full buyout. As soon as he receives his last paycheck form UT, he will be back coaching watch and see. He’s petty like that.

I didn’t hate Butch at all and felt the same way about him as I felt about Dooley. They did their best, were in over their heads, and I wished the very best for them after they lost their jobs at UT.

I still feel that way about Dooley, but after Butch’s lame cigar photo after the Bama game the year after he was fired from UT, with that candyassed look on his face, I lost all respect for him. I have zero respect for the guy.

If he had beaten Bama during his last season at UT, then it would’ve been fine to gloat about Bama’s win. But to run UT’s football program into the ground to the point that even Belichick or Meyer would’ve had no chance to coach UT to a win over Bama, and to smoke the cigar like he actually accomplished something... What a loser.

I was always fine with Spurrier talking smack when the Gators usually drubbed us, because he earned the right to boast. All Butch could do is try to pass Saban’s great coaching off as his own personal accomplishment. So pathetic.

Last edited:
Reactions: FïreBall

Hart would have convinced Barnes to stay at Tennessee while Hamilton and Currie would have not convinced Barnes to stay.

It also helped that Randy Boyd knows a bit about keeping the right people in place and he gets as much credit as Fulmer did in convincing Deacon Barnes to stay at Tennessee.

Reactions: butchna
2017 things just fell apart! The momentum should have been built on from 2016 and instead things completely unraveled and our quarterback situation dissolved into a laughable situation when we had Josh Dobbs at the helm prior.

Reactions: sport3500

VN Store

Back