I still don't understand all the animosity toward Butch Jones

This picture is where my hate comes from. He was flaunting a victory over a ****** team he left while cashing UT checks. Posing for pictures like this shows a complete lack of character. If I were him I would have quietly boarded the bus and left the team to celebrate on their own.

I remember my all time favorite Butch Jones coached game in Neyland like it was yesterday. He came down with his Cincinnati Bearcats team and got his arse handed to him.

It was the first game I took my son to and it will always be my favorite game I attended at Neyland.

Go Vols

I lost all respect for him when his chicken sh!t ass didn’t go for 2 and the win against TAM. Especially after TAM jumped off sides and we only had a little over a yard and a half to GO FOR THE WIN! SMDH!!
He sent a bad message to players that day,,,,....

Butch couldn't retain and utilize the talent he brought in. He was a good recruiter but a stubborn coach and bad talent developer. His RPO gimmicks worked at times with Dobbs and Kamara, but he was over-committed to it. Once he had a few good players declare for the NFL, his lack of coaching was on full display. I think the administration wanted to keep him, but couldn't justify it considering how much dissarray the team had gone going 0-8 in conference play.

With that said, the first few years were exciting and that loaded 2015 class was when I got on board of being a fan. I actually liked 3rd down for what and Butch worked hard to try and get the alumnus involved. He also recruited instate and legacy players fairly well which brought a sense of state pride to the team. I don't have animosity against him and think many who spite him exaggerate the details of his time here. He simply was in over his head.

Reactions: Volatility
Unpopular opinion, but if I could draw that kind of cash while learning from the best to ever coach college football, that's EXACTLY what I would do. He will also get to network with many great assistant and position coaches. I think a lot of people complaining about it would do the exact same thing if they were being honest. I mean, he is working. It's not like he's laid up in the trailer park getting his monthly check, lol. It's just a low(er) paying / low(er) stress job where he can learn from the best, meet great coaches who could be part of his staff (if he gets an opportunity) or he could have the opportunity to be on their staff.

Don't like the fact he's getting that kind of buyout? That's on UT and the fact he has a great agent.

He is whats called in the real working profession as a *Suck Ass".

Go ahead and shoot me, but I just don't get it.
Yes, Butch was in over his head. Yes, his in-game decisions were often bad. And yes, his decisions lost us a few big games.
But ... But ... But he also got us back into the spotlight. We were ranked in the Top 10 and beat Georgia and Florida in 2016. Then 2017 happened and people forgot all that came before. I was glad to see Butch go, but I have no animosity toward the guy. He was just a transition guy. So why does everyone seem to despise him so much?

Probably because he went 14 of 26 in Conference play as a coach. His last year he went 0-8 in the SEC. Never made it to the SEC Championship game even though he had a stacked roster at one point. Plus, he only won 6 ranked games.

Yes, Butch was in over his head. Yes, his in-game decisions were often bad. And yes, his decisions lost us a few big games.
But ... But ... But he also got us back into the spotlight. We were ranked in the Top 10 and beat Georgia and Florida in 2016. Then 2017 happened and people forgot all that came before. I was glad to see Butch go, but I have no animosity toward the guy. He was just a transition guy. So why does everyone seem to despise him so much?
Have you had a chance to read thru these posts? Now do you get it?

A Big Orange Orangutan could have coached the 2015 and 16 teams to an East title.

Turns out he ain't not orangutan.
Just a crimson faced baboon.

You people that keep saying Butch turned Lawrence away have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
I’d sure like to know what really happened?

It’s my understanding Lawrence was a Tn fan. Andy Kelly was a TN fan too and look what he did for the Vols.

What happened for him to end up at Clemson?

Getting caught on a hot mic cursing the fans in Neyland didn't help.

Having so much attrition of good players didn't help.

Smoking a stogie in Neyland 11mos after decimating the prog didn't help.

Squatting at our #1 rival while eating an entire buyout didnt help.

Ending his tenure with a decimated roster didnt help.

... just off top of my head.

How did this not end the thread? If you don't have some hard feelings towards Butch then you are simply either not smart or an absolute saint.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL

It’s my understanding Lawrence was a Tn fan. Andy Kelly was a TN fan too and look what he did for the Vols.

Seeing himself play in that offense behind that line. It wasn’t necessary for Butch to push him away for him to not want to sign up.

The simple fact he has not been offered another coaching job should tell you everything you need to know
Tells me his true character and competence was exposed for all to see. Anyone who thinks he an ok guy who was just in over his head at UT is simply refusing to look at all the facts. Led them to Worst season in the Program’s History, historically high number of highly ranked recruits transferred out, endless hokie gimmicks like the trash can, couldn’t talk straight to the media without an endless stream of silly assed phrases, an inability to maintain any semblance of stability with the coaching staff, and a terrible record of development of the players who remained. Not opinions - facts

How many VN posters could we go back into their various histories and read where they posted, "CBJ/Butch gets it." who are now proclaiming how they were on to him from the outset? That first 9 win season he posted, where he literally in a couple of those losses yanked defeat out of the jaws of victory with poor coaching game day decisions, how many were screaming for him to be replaced?

It’s not just Lawrence. If you look at the best Clemson skill players over the past 2-3 years, a lot of them have Tennessee ties. I didn’t even know Etienne was a big time Vol fan growing up. It’s really unbelievable.

Johnny Majors > Butch Jones

How many VN posters could we go back into their various histories and read where they posted, "CBJ/Butch gets it." who are now proclaiming how they were on to him from the outset? That first 9 win season he posted, where he literally in a couple of those losses yanked defeat out of the jaws of victory with poor coaching game day decisions, how many were screaming for him to be replaced?
People “who were onto him from the outset” guessed right. They weren’t privy to any more knowledge than those that were excited about the recruiting energy and embrace of relationships with alumni and high school coaches. I don’t regret hoping he was the answer, so put me on the list and go get everybody else.

VN Store

Back