UNC "Tarheels" name now Racist

Nope. The TV show Community (started in 2009) had Britta, the embodiment of PC/woke culture. I remember hearing 'microaggression' for the first time in my orientation at UT in 2008, and definitely remember hearing 'woke' talking points in high school in the mid-2000s. There's a film from 1994 called PCU (that I admittedly have not seen) that satirizes politically correct college campuses. These are what I can think of off the top of my head.

Comedy does not equal reality, but it generally exists as a commentary on what's going on in reality, and that puts this stuff as far back as the early 1990s. I'd guess it goes back further, even if not under the same exact vocab.

You need to remedy this. It’s a great movie. It was satire then, sadly you can point to any part of that movie and see the similarities to it everyday of the week.

FC55691D-64F8-461A-B679-67495CF852C0.gif

Reactions: tbh and ButchPlz
You didn't say those words but you made the argument from a place of authority, which is a logical fallacy. You were explaining that your made up fact was based on your expertise, but that's invalid. A lot of woke people could teach you about logical fallacies, i bet
Not once did I make an argument from a place of authority- that is, again, your absolute failure in assumption just like your initial post claiming I made a 'baseless' remark. It's your own arrogance, in another word.

If we don't have experiences, we don't have opinions. I shared directly the experiences I have that make up the 'base' of what I said, in direct answer to your question, and never claimed I was 'right' solely because of my experience- if there was a logical fallacy here, I wouldn't have made an effort to share any of the research below my post.

Come on, 'man'.

I guess then we'll agree overall, but disagree on what 'educated' should mean.

I tend to see educated used as an equivalent to 'intelligent', which is my entire problem. If it's going to be matched like that by the public at large, I think I've got a lot of grounds to say even people with a lot of schooling are 'uneducated'. Maybe I should just stick to 'unintelligent'.
Yeah - to me educated absolutely does not have to mean intelligent. I've understood "educated" to mean a formal education, as in somebody who is "highly educated" has a lot of formal education, or an education from a prestigious school. It could be, but certainly is not always, a marker of actual intelligence. There are ton of people without a formal education who are highly intelligent, and a lot of people with much formal education who I could consider to not be very intelligent.

Your grandfather didn't have a great deal of formal education relative to others, but he wasn't "uneducated" because he was educated in other ways. And he certainly was more intelligent than many people who have a great deal of formal education.

Reactions: hmhawk
Not once did I make an argument from a place of authority- that is, again, your absolute failure in assumption just like your initial post claiming I made a 'baseless' remark. It's your own arrogance, in another word.

If we don't have experiences, we don't have opinions. I shared directly the experiences I have that make up the 'base' of what I said, in direct answer to your question, and never claimed I was 'right' solely because of my experience- if there was a logical fallacy here, I wouldn't have made an effort to share any of the research below my post.

Come on, 'man'.

That's exactly what this is.

Life experience, including work in economic development with a touch in higher education, as well as a tiny bit of research.

Use your personal experience to navigate life, just know that it's not a valid way to make certain judgements, like the one you made. You need data to make that judgment. You need data to back that judgment. Idk that you are who you say you are and even if you are, it's not very convincing because your views derived from personal experience are influenced by cognitive biases. You may say you are basing it on something, but when it's garbage, I call that baseless.

Last edited:
Volunteers could be vulnerable since the Tennessee army was known as the Volunteers. I suspect that POTSB has its origins around the time of the Civil War and could be questionable if this logic is allowed to continue.

This is all about a Marxist attempt to erase traditional American institutions and to promote their cause. It has had no racist tones for years until the current Marxist revolution.

Its origins are from the War of 1812 and the American-Mexican Revolution (1846-1848).

Its origins are from the War of 1812 and the American-Mexican Revolution (1846-1848).
Judging from the Betsy Ross Air Max Precedent set in July of 2019 by Colin Kaepernick, anything that took place while slavery was practiced on American soil is characterized as offensive .

Reactions: OrangeAllDay
I doubt many on this board have a stronger dislike for the University of North Carolina than I do. That said, that school is not at all steeped in white supremacy or racism. For the first time in my life I will be cheering for the University of North Carolina to win at something . That school, with all of its progressive “University of the People” the “Carolina Way” BS that I loathe better not lose this battle to these oversensitive clowns that really just want watch the world burn right now. July 15, 2020 11:45am I’m cheering for UNC. Man 2020 is so ****ed up.

I'm right there with ya! Go Wolfpack......i hope that doesn't offend any wolves...

and then there is the New Zealand All Blacks rugby club......now they'll have to have new uniforms I guess :rolleyes:

Looks like it's UNC's turn.

Does UNC’s ‘Tar Heels’ name celebrate the Confederacy? Some think it’s time for change.

View attachment 293216

“If you call yourself a Tar Heel … you’re cheering for the essence of white supremacy,” Thorpe said. He said it’s like saying “Go Confederate soldiers!” or “It’s a great day to be a Confederate soldier.”

NC history professor Jim Leloudis said the origin of the “Tar Heels” name is complicated and convoluted. He is also co-chair of the university’s Commission on History, Race & A Way Forward, tasked with helping the university reckon with its history. “It’s hard to untangle,” Leloudis said. “The term, at first, is derogatory in terms of race and class, then gets turned into a symbol of Confederate pride and loyalty.”

UNC also mentions the term Tar Heels in connection to the Civil War.
“During the Civil War, North Carolina soldiers flipped the meaning of the term, and turned an epithet into an accolade. They called themselves ‘tar heels’ as an expression of state pride. Others adopted the term and North Carolina became widely known as the ‘Tar Heel State,’” according to UNC’s website.

"Tar Heels" is definitely a reference to confederate soldiers. We have to decide if we are OK with that. I am.

Something like "Redskins" can easily be considered a direct racial slur. Not so with "Tar Heels." Changing the name is inappropriate. I guess thats up to the good people of North Carolina but my vote would be no. If everything is offensive, then nothing is offensive. This takes away from the conversation on what true racism is.

The "Volunteers" were soldiers from Tennessee that went to fight. They fought the British, the French, the Native Americans and the Mexicans. How long until "Volunteer" is racist?

EDIT: And astute observer points out that "Tar Heels" was already a term before the Civil War, which renders my statement that it is "definitely a reference to confederate soldiers" to likely be untrue. I wasn't around in those days. I dont know how popular the term was before the Civil War. When I think of "Tar Heels" I think of bumpkin Confederate soldiers from North Carolina. But that probably just shows my ignorance.

My thanks to 05_never_again.

Last edited:
It was an established nickname by the Civil War...coined in 1812.
You are correct, but it was also the name of the Tennessee troops in the Civil War. I did not want to mention the American Mexican War because of implications of racism against latinos also.

This whole thing is a farce and an attempt to eradicate the history books of anything concerning American institutions and establishment.

Reactions: hmhawk
You are correct, but it was also the name of the Tennessee troops in the Civil War. I did not want to mention the American Mexican War because of implications of racism against latinos also.

This whole thing is a farce and an attempt to eradicate the history books of anything concerning American institutions and establishment.
Hopefully when they bring the torches, the source origin is noted instead of what was appropriated by a totally different group of individuals. The ok sign used to be employed by all walks of life to insinuate “all’s good”...then some white supremacists brandished it at a rally and now the Minions are Aryan Nation.

"Tar Heels" is definitely a reference to confederate soldiers. We have to decide if we are OK with that. I am.

Something like "Redskins" can easily be considered a direct racial slur. Not so with "Tar Heels." Changing the name is inappropriate. I guess thats up to the good people of North Carolina but my vote would be no. If everything is offensive, then nothing is offensive. This takes away from the conversation on what true racism is.

The "Volunteers" were soldiers from Tennessee that went to fight. They fought the British, the French, the Native Americans and the Mexicans. How long until "Volunteer" is racist?
I thought "Tar Heels" was a term that was invented before the war for people doing certain low status, low paying jobs, then Confederate soldiers from North Carolina adopted the term to mean just that (Confederates from NC). They took a term that already existed, that had no racial meaning, and just applied it to themselves. It's like wanting to change the name of "blitz" in football because Nazis used the term.

I thought "Tar Heels" was a term that was invented before the war for people doing certain low status, low paying jobs, then Confederate soldiers from North Carolina adopted the term to mean just that (Confederates from NC). They took a term that already existed, that had no racial meaning, and just applied it to themselves. It's like wanting to change the name of "blitz" in football because Nazis used the term.
Yes. I agree. My statement was overly simplified to the point of being arguably wrong.

I wasn't around in those days. I dont know how popular the term was before the Civil War. When I think of "Tar Heels" I think of bumpkin Confederate soldiers from North Carolina. But that probably just shows my ignorance. I will edit my post.

Old books on the Colonial era date the term to that period, well before the Civil War, as a term that South Carolinians used to deride North Carolinians (who did the dirty work of producing naval stores). Precise origins of expressions like that are hard to know.

Are we really going to say it’s implied racism if the country you’re fighting is from Latin America and the name of the country is Mexico?

VN Store

Back