2021 Target List

If Kennedy Chandler committed, who would be most likely to jump in next? Jabari Smith I assume?

I think Jabari, but that is speculation on my part. I do know that the two communicate with one another. Obviously there's been some chatter about Banchero and Chandler having a relationship, and that's true, but I think Banchero is much more of a wildcard just b/c of the distance and the other schools involved. Smith seems more realistic to me as the 'blue-bloods' don't really seem to be involved and I've been giving the impression that it's important to his family that he's somewhere that they can hop in the car and get to easily.
-VQ.

I'm not sure this distance thing is going to be tough to overcome with Bachero given that his presumed top 3 is UK, Duke, and Tennessee. I think fanfare, tradition, and recognition will be the tougher issue to overcome in comparison to those two programs.

I'm not sure this distance thing is going to be tough to overcome with Bachero given that his presumed top 3 is UK, Duke, and Tennessee. I think fanfare, tradition, and recognition will be the tougher issue to overcome in comparison to those two programs.

I think Rob is just playing it safe a bit with Banchero...prior to his OV he considered Tennessee a very very long shot to even be a major factor. After the visit and talking with Banchero he admitted Tennessee will definitely be involved and they caught his eye, more than Lewis admitted he thought they would. As you mention distance doesn’t seem to be a factor, I think it’s more Lewis just having a hard time thinking Tennessee beats out those programs for a Top 5 player.

Basketball Recruiting - Ranking the Contenders: Kennedy Chandler

Corey Evans just did one of those "Rank the Contenders" for Kennedy Chandler. It doesn't provide any new information really, it just states what we all know. That Chandler is likely a Tennessee lean. I really hope Chandler makes the dive and commits sooner rather than later. He is the critical domino to make the other pieces fall.

Basketball Recruiting - Ranking the Contenders: Kennedy Chandler

Corey Evans just did one of those "Rank the Contenders" for Kennedy Chandler. It doesn't provide any new information really, it just states what we all know. That Chandler is likely a Tennessee lean. I really hope Chandler makes the dive and commits sooner rather than later. He is the critical domino to make the other pieces fall.
Chandler seems to be all Vol, but all is purely speculation.

Chandler seems to be all Vol, but all is purely speculation.

I'm not sure what to think. If he was All-Vol I assume we would have gotten a commitment by now. However, he very well may be leaning Tennessee and plan to commit on an accelerated schedule. No one knows.

I'm not sure what to think. If he was All-Vol I assume we would have gotten a commitment by now. However, he very well may be leaning Tennessee and plan to commit on an accelerated schedule. No one knows.
My guess is he’s leaning Vol and has been, wanted to take some visits but that could be forced to change with COVID.

I think Rob is just playing it safe a bit with Banchero...prior to his OV he considered Tennessee a very very long shot to even be a major factor. After the visit and talking with Banchero he admitted Tennessee will definitely be involved and they caught his eye, more than Lewis admitted he thought they would. As you mention distance doesn’t seem to be a factor, I think it’s more Lewis just having a hard time thinking Tennessee beats out those programs for a Top 5 player.
I think he should have just omitted the distance comment and stuck with the concern over the other schools involved. That is much more accurate.

How good are UT's chances of realistically landing Banchero if Chandler commits to Tennessee as expected?

70/30 to the good guys. Imo
May be optimistic. We’re better than 50 tho
Of course, we are all guessing, but I think that's pretty optimistic. If we land Chandler, I'd put it at 50/50. I think Kentucky leads with Duke and Tennessee behind them. We likely pass Duke with a Chandler commitment, and perhaps pull even with UK. It sounds like the relationship with Chandler will have to overcome to glitz and glam of Kentucky, Cal, the NBA pipeline, and the national exposure he'd immediately receive at UK.

Basketball Recruiting - Wednesday's Leftovers: Mason Miller, Ryan Mutombo, Vols

Question: I know Paolo and Kennedy want to team up. Paolo could go to UK and Kennedy to UT or both team up at either one. Put that aside who does Tennessee have a real chance with between Jabari smith and Paolo?

Corey Evans:
Honestly, both. How crazy would that be? Not only would Tennessee land arguably the nation’s top point guard in Kennedy Chandler, but also
Paolo Banchero and Jabari Smith. The chances of such a package deal actually working out are minimal at best, but the Vols are not just fodder for both Banchero and Smith but legitimate landing spots for each.

We covered Smith yesterday and while I like Auburn just a bit more than UT, the five-star has trended towards playing next to a premier point guard which the Vols could offer if Chandler were to commit to Tennessee. They’re probably second in the running for Smith where Duke and Kentucky are slightly ahead for Banchero but again, the separation is very slight between the blue bloods and UT.
Banchero has often discussed playing next to Chandler in college. Duke, UK and UT both find themselves on each of their final lists and of the three, Tennessee is the school that has the best chance of making such a package deal happen.

I think Corey is spot on. The liklelihood of getting all 3 is low, but damn would it not be so cool to see that happen. I really hope we don’t miss on both, although if we land Chandler it will be hard to speak ill of this class regardless of how the rest shapes out.

I think Corey is spot on. The liklelihood of getting all 3 is low, but damn would it not be so cool to see that happen. I really hope we don’t miss on both, although if we land Chandler it will be hard to speak ill of this class regardless of how the rest shapes out.
If we can get Chandler and 1 of those other 2, I will be ecstatic. Would prefer Banchero if I could choose, but I absolutely would not be upset if Jabari Smith is the only one of that group UT can get to go along with Chandler. That's an elite duo.

Reactions: cardvolfan

VN Store

Back