Kara Lawson emerges as a leading candidate for Duke job

If you're wondering why the most storied program in women's basketball is where it is, consider we're now arguing whether they should have hired the coach with the mediocre resume or a coach with no resume...

Reactions: feathersax
What do you mean by this? She may turn out to be a great coach, or she may not. At this point, it's a complete unknown.
Please excuse the late reply
Unless you have a crystal ball, of course whether Kara is going to be a successful coach is, at this juncture, an “unknown”. The point was that with her bb smarts, drive, reputation and other qualities, for Duke not to choose her ( despite her lack of college basketball experience) would make their decision hard to understand ( I used the word “delusional” when referring to them). As you’ve said “time will tell” but for my money she’s a winner and Duke is lucky to have gotten her!!

If you're wondering why the most storied program in women's basketball is where it is, consider we're now arguing whether they should have hired the coach with the mediocre resume or a coach with no resume...
Indeed. I will never understand why Fulmer limited the "search" to just alums. I have to think we could have hired an established, successful coach of a Power 5 program, if we had tried. I highly doubt that UConn limits their search to alums when Geno retires.

Indeed. I will never understand why Fulmer limited the "search" to just alums. I have to think we could have hired an established, successful coach of a Power 5 program, if we had tried. I highly doubt that UConn limits their search to alums when Geno retires.

Eliminating 90% of coaching candidates in order to “hire within the family” has never been a good idea and schools keep doing it

Actually, I think UConn will. There will be financial constraints for sure. While Geno has said he will not pick his successor, I can not imagine the AD will go outside the family so to speak. As long as Shea is still in Storrs and wants the job, it will be hers. What outsider would want to succeed Geno?

Actually, I think UConn will. There will be financial constraints for sure. While Geno has said he will not pick his successor, I can not imagine the AD will go outside the family so to speak. As long as Shea is still in Storrs and wants the job, it will be hers. What outsider would want to succeed Geno?

Yes they can hire Shea Ralph but then it comes down to can she recruit or coach ? And to be fair everyone knows Fulmer limited the coaching search to zero he did not bring anyone in for and interview. As for Kellie the jury is still out on her.

VN Store

Back