Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Agree about KO. Him and Barnes are the only two hires since DeVoe left where I felt we had hired a somewhat proven commodity. All the others were typical of UT athletics hiring...roll the dice and hope we hit a homerun.
Jerry Green was a bad hire and Dickey should have thrown the bank at Roy Williams to get him to come to Tennessee before Williams recommended Green for the job.

Agree about his work ethic and recruiting abilities. I thought he would have been successful here had he stayed as well, but after seeing the path of destruction he left everywhere he went afterwards, I'm not so sure now.

I would tend to agree, but it would have been interesting to see him with an actually good roster for one year.

Jerry Green was a bad hire and Dickey should have thrown the bank at Roy Williams to get him to come to Tennessee before Williams recommended Green for the job.
I can't think of any reason Roy Williams would have come to Tennessee from Kansas, especially in the mid 90s. It would have been nice, but totally unrealistic.

Tennessee has always been a sleeping giant in college basketball and coaches like Mears, Pearl and Barnes have shown that with the right coach, Tennessee will get to a Final Four and maybe win a national championship one day.

I think that even Devoe could have taken TN far had he been able to adapt to the changing attitudes of players and adjust and take advantage of rule changes. He hated it when the 3PL and 45 second shot clock were added and advocated that the goal be raised to 12 feet to take the dunk out of play. His drill instructor approach worked well at Navy, but was too old school for TN to keep up in the SEC. He never came close to adding another Dale Ellis. Michael Brooks, Tony White, Fred Jenkins, Dyron Nix, and Doug Roth were all good or great players but were spread out over nearly a decade and were surrounded by pretty average players, very few if any would even see the court if on recent rosters. Devoe could certainly X and O. It would have been interesting had Buzz been able to hire him as his "bench coach".

In other news, Josiah James said Victor Bailey Jr. is the best kept secret in all of college basketball, today. Yeah the inevitably of this season not happening is going to be a real kick in the nads.

I’m nearly there with you. However, I’m hopeful for at least some b-ball because the roster sizes make it much more manageable than football. 13 scholarship players vs 85. Walk ons obviously add more but that would be my selling point for at least attempting conference games.

To miss out on our upcoming b-ball season would be devastating. I want to see this team play together.

Tennessee has always been a sleeping giant in college basketball and coaches like Mears, Pearl and Barnes have shown that with the right coach, Tennessee will get to a Final Four and maybe win a national championship one day.

The fanbase has always been eager to support a good product. Not many schools can draw 20,000+.

VN Store

Back