Kara Lawson emerges as a leading candidate for Duke job

Yeah, she's not my favorite right now. Won't even consider the UT job, b!tches about a lack of diversity and then runs off to Duke. Lol you b!tch about diversity and then go to Duke.... OK
hmmm sexist much kara spoke up about an obvious fact but apparently its bitching hahah kara knows what shes worth and Tenn wasnt giving her whats shes worth so the NBA did and now Duke did not her fault AD was being cheap as hell.....periodt

How does one gain experience without the "experience". At some point all head coaches didn't have experience. It's a stupid rationale. She'll always be a VFL and I look forward to several UT v Duke final four matchups with those young ladies at the helm.

Last edited:
hmmm sexist much kara spoke up about an obvious fact but apparently its bitching hahah kara knows what shes worth and Tenn wasnt giving her whats shes worth so the NBA did and now Duke did not her fault AD was being cheap as hell.....periodt
It sounds like you're saying that the AD was cheap to hire Kara and settled for a cheap hire like Kellie? It interesting to the see some Lady Vol fans on here and that other forum that I won't name do a heel turn on Kellie because Duke hired Kara.

What CULTURE are you speaking of?
Ooooooo I like this game! :) I recognize your type, they’re running rampant these days.

The poster might have been speaking about the “CULTURE” that wins basketball games.

The “CULTURE” that people pay money to see.

The “CULTURE” that dominates the sporting landscape.

The poster clarified what they meant by culture, but I saw the way you WANTED it to go.

A couple of points...
1. We do not know whether Kara even wanted to be a part of the TN mess when Holly was fired. All signs indicated no at the time.
2. Kara has never been a head coach or even an assistant coach for any WCBB program. Kelly has experience and is also a 3 time national champion PG.
3. If Kara wanted more money from UT, then how would that have been warranted with no coaching experience? She had not yet coached for the Celtics and 3x3 USA bball is NOT the same as running a program. Kara increased her value for any Duke deal by going to the Celtics for coaching experience. Do not compare what Duke pays her now to what TN should have paid her then. Her experience level and contract value was not the same at the time of TN's search. What if TN football paid a coach with no experience top dollar? The same standard should apply here.
4. Kelly is doing a great job recruiting AND reestablishing TN. Give her time before you start asking for a coach without a single coaching win to take over the most loved program in the history of WCBB. That position makes zero sense on many levels.
5. If Kelly does not get the job done, then Kara would be in a prime spot to command top money for a return to Knoxville.

I support both Kelly and Kara 100%. They are two of Pat's best PGs and we all know that Pat would be rooting for both of them and not pitting their abilities against each other. We should be doing the same. Kara is a brilliant mind and will do big things. I wish her all the best. Just my thoughts.

Wasn't Kara on the search committee that chose Kellie?
I have a lot of respect for Kara & her abilities, but Duke is taking a big gamble on a novice head coach. If this hire works out, I wish her the best, except when Duke plays UT.

You are smart enough to understand the irony of b!tching about diversity while taking a job with Duke, right?

It sounds like you're saying that the AD was cheap to hire Kara and settled for a cheap hire like Kellie? It interesting to the see some Lady Vol fans on here and that other forum that I won't name do a heel turn on Kellie because Duke hired Kara.

Looks like an awful lot of people doing a heel turn on Kara to me

A couple of points...
1. We do not know whether Kara even wanted to be a part of the TN mess when Holly was fired. All signs indicated no at the time.
2. Kara has never been a head coach or even an assistant coach for any WCBB program. Kelly has experience and is also a 3 time national champion PG.
3. If Kara wanted more money from UT, then how would that have been warranted with no coaching experience? She had not yet coached for the Celtics and 3x3 USA bball is NOT the same as running a program. Kara increased her value for any Duke deal by going to the Celtics for coaching experience. Do not compare what Duke pays her now to what TN should have paid her then. Her experience level and contract value was not the same at the time of TN's search. What if TN football paid a coach with no experience top dollar? The same standard should apply here.
4. Kelly is doing a great job recruiting AND reestablishing TN. Give her time before you start asking for a coach without a single coaching win to take over the most loved program in the history of WCBB. That position makes zero sense on many levels.
5. If Kelly does not get the job done, then Kara would be in a prime spot to command top money for a return to Knoxville.

I support both Kelly and Kara 100%. They are two of Pat's best PGs and we all know that Pat would be rooting for both of them and not pitting their abilities against each other. We should be doing the same. Kara is a brilliant mind and will do big things. I wish her all the best. Just my thoughts.

Great talk.. Ur #4 & #5 are on point

I’m with you @LadyVol1908. I wanted her or Ivey, I got neither.

The Ivey thing may have worked out for the best we all know she probably would have bolted. The Kara things still seems weird to me like she was on the hiring committee.

again, I wonder if she was like let me try coaching , oh dang I like this, oh here is a great opportunity. Kara has a great basketball mind... who knows maybe she and Kellie will rise to the top and be dominant together seeing their programs at the top wouldn’t be hard to stomach lol... I think Kara adds something when being a recognizable face though. Those kids going to ND for academics may now look at Duke with her there and those kids in that area who go to SC now may say wait a min let me stay closer.

Kara can also say she learned from the best and look where it got her. She is a gold medalist, WNBA champion, she worked in the nba , and now has her in with USA b-ball. She has other qualities which might make her attractive to recruits so I think Kara would shake up the recruiting game a tad! I could see her and Jeff Walz battling and Kara not backing down!

The Ivey thing may have worked out for the best we all know she probably would have bolted. The Kara things still seems weird to me like she was on the hiring committee.

again, I wonder if she was like let me try coaching , oh dang I like this, oh here is a great opportunity. Kara has a great basketball mind... who knows maybe she and Kellie will rise to the top and be dominant together seeing their programs at the top wouldn’t be hard to stomach lol... I think Kara adds something when being a recognizable face though. Those kids going to ND for academics may now look at Duke with her there and those kids in that area who go to SC now may say wait a min let me stay closer.

Kara can also say she learned from the best and look where it got her. She is a gold medalist, WNBA champion, she worked in the nba , and now has her in with USA b-ball. She has other qualities which might make her attractive to recruits so I think Kara would shake up the recruiting game a tad! I could see her and Jeff Walz battling and Kara not backing down!
Kara is definitely the type of person I would like to go to battle with.

Lawson played with 2 Meeks, Gwen Jackson, Michelle Snow and a bunch of other HS All-Americans and Kellie only had 3 Meeks for two years and one NC, Kellie and Kara both were in 3 Final Fours
Kellie played with the greatest Lady Vol of all time. It’s not even comparable.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
That’s not a fair critique at all. Do you know for sure that she didn’t consider the UT job? Also, the responsibility shouldn’t be on Kara to single-handedly solve UT’s diversity issue, and that shouldn’t disqualify her from speaking on such matters. She has room to offer constructive criticism to an institution that she deeply cares for and has invested in.
Amen

VN Store

Back