The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I'm imagining a small ball lineup that's perimeter centered and can shoot the 3. Fulkerson isn't that.

And taking out the one player that demands a double team would take away open shots from the 3.

Fulky absolutely is apart of any lineup that gets good looks from 3

If you don’t think an inside presence is important to getting good looks from 3 you aren’t very basketball knowledgeable.

In fact I’d invite you to research how many times over the the last 5 years MR. Rick Barnes has discussed in great detail that his offense runs thru the post and the inside out 3 is a much higher % shot than one that is just initiated from the perimeter.

if you don’t accept that as the fact of how Barnes teams play I invite you to go follow Pearl and Auburn where the inside out post presence is irrelevant in his offense but this is a Vol discussion last I checked.

If you don’t think an inside presence is important to getting good looks from 3 you aren’t very basketball knowledgeable.

In fact I’d invite you to research how many times over the the last 5 years MR. Rick Barnes has discussed in great detail that his offense runs thru the post and the inside out 3 is a much higher % shot than one that is just initiated from the perimeter.

if you don’t accept that as the fact of how Barnes teams play I invite you to go follow Pearl and Auburn where the inside out post presence is irrelevant in his offense but this is a Vol discussion last I checked.
are you okay?

Clearly not if you’re really this argumentative and willing to insult my intelligence over my preference of Pons being in a small ball lineup. Check yourself.

Playing pons at the 5 isn’t worth a discussion unless the 4 is another 4 type player and your op didn’t have that.

Clearly not if you’re really this argumentative and willing to insult my intelligence over my preference of Pons being in a small ball lineup. Check yourself.

Playing pons at the 5 isn’t worth a discussion unless the 4 is another 4 type player and your op didn’t have that. In fact you had a PG as the 4.

I could see Pons and the new grad transfer Playing the 4-5 at times

The best “small ball“ we have had under Barnes was with Grant and admiral at the 4/5

pons and EJA will be our best chance of matching that “small ball” approach

Tell me what our small ball lineup was last year?

And the year before?
when did I say we’ve ever courted a small ball lineup? you’re taking this too far. literally just entertaining the concept of a small ball lineup on a message board. nothing more, nothing less. just breathe.

Playing pons at the 5 isn’t worth a discussion unless the 4 is another 4 type player and your op didn’t have that. In fact you had a PG as the 4.

I could see Pons and the new grad transfer Playing the 4-5 at times
If you think Josiah James is a point guard then you aren’t very basketball knowledgeable.

when did I say we’ve ever courted a small ball lineup? you’re taking this too far. literally just entertaining the concept of a small ball lineup on a message board. nothing more, nothing less. just breathe.

We have though you see. Grant and Admiral did it so well because they still could play thru the post and that’s the point.

Btw if you presented this discussion based on the assumption that Fulky wasn’t able to play for some reason it would be reasonable but for you to act like Fulky can’t be apart of a “small ball” lineup is ridiculous. He would make it better

I think that JJJ is quite capable as a PG. Probably better than many we've had there recently. I'd argue that he is better than Bowden and Turner, but not Bone. He was more under control than Vescovi. He might be a better distributor than KJ, Bailey, or JS if we get a season in less than 4 months.

Reactions: BruinVol
I think that JJJ is quite capable as a PG. Probably better than many we've had there recently. I'd argue that he is better than Bowden and Turner, but not Bone. He was more under control than Vescovi. He might be a better distributor than KJ, Bailey, or JS if we get a season in less than 4 months.
He’s better than Bowden for sure but I couldn’t agree with you on Turner unless you are comparing freshmen years and yes James was way better than Turner as a freshman Pg.
Turner turned into a dang good PG his junior and senior years. I do think James can be better than him quicker though

He’s better than Bowden for sure but I couldn’t agree with you on Turner unless you are comparing freshmen years and yes James was way better than Turner as a freshman Pg.
Turner turned into a dang good PG his junior and senior years. I do think James can be better than him quicker though

Turner got better every year. But he was never THE PG for an entire season. I always thought of him as a shooting guard that wasn't real comfortable as the floor general primarily. But he did make strides last year when his shot went into the ****ter. Assist totals might not support it, but I always thought of him as a score first guard. Assist numbers can easily distort reality. Dumping passes into somebody like Grant can inflate them while extra passes by unselfish, well coached teammates reduce the stats. JJJ seems to be able to make those great passes, although it seems like his teammates had some trouble hanging onto his highlight reel feeds.

VN Store

Back