'21 TN PG Kennedy Chandler (Tennessee commit 08.14.20)

We thinking the vague Galilee comment means commitment by the end of the week?
I think he is using VQ language to indicate such. I may be projecting on the timeline based on the Corey Evans information, but those two things and the rumors that a commitment is imminent has me thinking it's too much to be coincidence.

The great thing about basketball commits are that they almost never decommit, unless there is a coaching change. Chandler is that lead domino for this class, just watch

Reactions: sport3500
The great thing about basketball commits are that they almost never decommit, unless there is a coaching change. Chandler is that lead domino for this class, just watch
I’ve never considered that before, but basketball recruits do seem to decommit less. Wonder why that is

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I’ve never considered that before, but basketball recruits do seem to decommit less. Wonder why that is
Don't know, but I would guess that there are 10 football decommits to every one basketball decommit and I'm not even counting Kamar Wilcoxson

Don't know, but I would guess that there are 10 football decommits to every one basketball decommit and I'm not even counting Kamar Wilcoxson
Perhaps it just seems like they decommit less because there are so fewer overall commits in each class, but even accounting for that in my head it still seems much less common

Reactions: Kinger
Perhaps it just seems like they decommit less because there are so fewer overall commits in each class, but even accounting for that in my head it still seems much less common
No, I don't know the exact number, but basketball players decommit a lot less than football players. Maybe, bTo, Bru, TGO and/or Chris know the percentage difference. There is a considerable difference, tho. U are definitely right in your head. Of course, I'm always right in mine, too, but this time, we are both right.

Reactions: Vol49er
I vaguely remember Coach Pearl saying after Josh Selby’s de-commitment that after a player is committed to a school, there’s an unwritten rule/gentleman’s agreement that other coaches back off recruiting the player. Unless a player shuts it down, football is full go up to signing day.

No, I don't know the exact number, but basketball players decommit a lot less than football players. Maybe, bTo, Bru, TGO and/or Chris know the percentage difference. There is a considerable difference, tho. U are definitely right in your head. Of course, I'm always right in mine, too, but this time, we are both right.

Thanks, but I'm not into recruiting details like them other fellers. It has been much more interesting though now that we're fishing with the Blue Bloods.

Basilio's blog this morning:

We told you a couple of weeks ago that diminutive 5 star point guard Kennedy Chandler was on an accelerated plan as far as choosing his college team. 'Y' wrote in this space a few weeks back that Chandler who was going to wait until spring had decided he was going to commit much sooner to the school of his choice. Kudos to Rivals.com's top national recruiting expert Corey Evans for Crystal balling Chandler to Tennessee out of the blue while we were on the air yesterday.

A few sources close to Tennessee's program (the same sources that helped me with my summer scouting report that appeared in Tuesday's blog) relayed to me that Tennessee's coaches feel like a commitment could be imminent. This is exciting news. If Chandler should happen to commit in short order this would be a best case scenario for the Vols. I will remind you that Chandler is seen as a hub commitment and could end being the tie that binds the likes of Banchero and a few other top prospects to Tennessee. Without Chandler it would be nearly impossible to pull Banchero from the west coast but with him Tennessee is very much alive.

That and there's far less "flipping" of commits in basketball than football. A commitment in basketball is usually pretty locked in, like you said.

Reactions: The Dog
One possible reason why you do not see a lot of basketball decommitments is that head basketball coaches are generally given more time to build their programs than head football coaches are so the basketball recruits can build long lasting relationships with the head coach and staff and school.

College football is the money train at most universities while the blue bloods like Duke and Kentucky and Kansas basketball programs probably would be co conductors with the football program.

One possible reason why you do not see a lot of basketball decommitments is that head basketball coaches are generally given more time to build their programs than head football coaches are so the basketball recruits can build long lasting relationships with the head coach and staff and school.

College football is the money train at most universities while the blue bloods like Duke and Kentucky and Kansas basketball programs probably would be co conductors with the football program.

Three main reasons:

1) Basketball classes are much smaller, leading to more secure commitments. There’s less moving in classes and less gitshirts. If you take a commitment in basketball, it’s really hard to find a equal replacement unlike footballs where there is tens of thousands of football players that can play FBS.

2) Assistant coaches put a ton of effort into recruiting in football. And assistant coaching is much more volatile in football than in basketball.

3) Relationships are stronger in basketball and player/coach know each other better. In basketball by the end of junior year you’re looking at probably 15 targets for an established coaching situation. In football you’re juggling hundreds. So relationships are easier to build as a head coach in basketball.

I see this kid as the basketball version of Peyton. He became the pied piper when it came to football recruiting. Other kids just wanted to play with him and it led to some really special talent coming to Knoxville. Chandler gives off that same vibe. Might be the spark we've been waiting on.

Reactions: sport3500
Three main reasons:

1) Basketball classes are much smaller, leading to more secure commitments. There’s less moving in classes and less gitshirts. If you take a commitment in basketball, it’s really hard to find a equal replacement unlike footballs where there is tens of thousands of football players that can play FBS.

2) Assistant coaches put a ton of effort into recruiting in football. And assistant coaching is much more volatile in football than in basketball.

3) Relationships are stronger in basketball and player/coach know each other better. In basketball by the end of junior year you’re looking at probably 15 targets for an established coaching situation. In football you’re juggling hundreds. So relationships are easier to build as a head coach in basketball.

You left out the most important reason

Coaches from other schools back off and respect the commitment in a much more gentlemanly way

You left out the most important reason

Coaches from other schools back off and respect the commitment in a much more gentlemanly way

I have no basis for that other than with the early signing day (an actual early signing day, not footballs joke of an early signing day) then that might be the case.

VN Store

Back