The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

Reactions: Orangeslice13
One more question: can the front bead be easily replaced with a night sight? Or, can it be rear-coated with tritium?
I took some pictures of my setup. The dayglo sight was from Cabela's, just snaps onto the barrel. Works well in low light and is really bright with the flashlight on. Flashlight and mount are from Amazon, I mounted the light so it can be manipulated with my thumb while holding the foregrip (flashlight has a rear power button). This is a police trade in I bought years ago for maybe $200. 3" #4 buckshot in this thing is pretty hilarious. 2020-06-30_13-59-02_129.jpg2020-06-30_13-59-13_846.jpg2020-06-30_13-59-19_406.jpg

Just took a walk in the gloaming, up the hill (we do have a few small ones here in East Texas) to the back of my 5 acres; and hearing someone in the vicinity squeezing off a few rounds (sounds like a 9mm) which I am pretty sure was not in anger - because we're at a pretty good remove from the hubbub of Houston, pretty peaceful around here, and allowed to discharge our firearms on our own property, I had a thought... similar to the thought I have when visiting a refinery and inhaling the "smell of money"... that sound of "friendly gunfire" is the sound of Freedom.

We best take care of it, if we don't want to lose it.

I have not bought a firearm in a long time, and currently have only one 12 gauge (an old Ithaca) and one 22 rifle (Ruger).

So should I get a 38 Special or a P365XL as a next addition to my small armory? Why not one of each?

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Just took a walk in the gloaming, up the hill (we do have a few small ones here in East Texas) to the back of my 5 acres; and hearing someone in the vicinity squeezing off a few rounds (sounds like a 9mm) which I am pretty sure was not in anger - because we're at a pretty good remove from the hubbub of Houston, pretty peaceful around here, and allowed to discharge our firearms on our own property, I had a thought... similar to the thought I have when visiting a refinery and inhaling the "smell of money"... that sound of "friendly gunfire" is the sound of Freedom.

I have not bought a firearm in a long time, and currently have only one 12 gauge (an old Ithaca) and one 22 rifle (Ruger).

So should I get a 38 Special or a P365XL as a next addition to my small armory? Why not one of each?
The P365XL feels better in my hand than any compact I've handled. Hard to go wrong with a Sig.

Ruger 57.
Just to be different

Only suggestions I would have is that if you do opt for the revolver, get a .357 and make sure it's double action. .357 will safely fire .38 special but gives you the option of a second cartridge. Double action much easier to operate with one hand, if you had to.

Also, I like the visual. I have a couple of relatives who live on some pasture land in Anahuac. I don't get over there often but when I do there are almost always people on the far edge of the hay fields shooting at hogs, or practicing shooting at hogs.

Thanks for the suggestions on revolvers and the point about double action.

I appreciate your comments about Anahuac as well. When I first moved to Texas I was working in Texas City which is a bit closer to Anahuac than where I am now.

Long story short, Academy is the place to go for ammo. Talk to an employee in the firearms dept to find out which days they get deliveries and be there when the store opens for best selection. Some stores have a purchase limit and others do not.

Last edited:
To my fellow Americans, I hope you have a awesome and blessed Independence Day. Although our views may differ, and we may not always agree as a nation, we have it the best from sea to shining sea. May the United States always stand tall, may we always stand together against those who would have us fall, and let freedom ring!

Oh and England, suck on our star spangled ding dongs.

CHIP_2019HIGG_Democracy-copy-1.jpg

I took some pictures of my setup. The dayglo sight was from Cabela's, just snaps onto the barrel. Works well in low light and is really bright with the flashlight on. Flashlight and mount are from Amazon, I mounted the light so it can be manipulated with my thumb while holding the foregrip (flashlight has a rear power button). This is a police trade in I bought years ago for maybe $200. 3" #4 buckshot in this thing is pretty hilarious. View attachment 289864View attachment 289865View attachment 289866
Perfect for home defense, but you might kill that light with the 12 ga. You can get a surefire or streamlight that'll hold up to it for less than $100

Hey guys I'd like to start the clock on a suppressor for a 300BLK AR pistol. I hear the Silencerco Omega works well with that and will handle 5.56 & 7.62 as well. It'll be my first can so I'm guessing I'll need a trust. Any advice other than a large dose of patience?

Hey guys I'd like to start the clock on a suppressor for a 300BLK AR pistol. I hear the Silencerco Omega works well with that and will handle 5.56 & 7.62 as well. It'll be my first can so I'm guessing I'll need a trust. Any advice other than a large dose of patience?
Highly suggest talking to Tennessee Silencer in Seymour.

Reactions: 81Bubbavol
How often do you folks unload, rotate magazines? I've never thought about this often but lately I've been thinking about conserving storage space by storing all my mags loaded. Some might not see action for years. Internet advice is all over the map about whether or not you'll reduce spring tension and, if so, how long it will take.

You're right about it being all over the place. Some say you'll compress the springs and guarantee yourself FTF issues and jams. Others say it's good to give the springs a workout. I don't keep mine loaded mainly because a lot of my stuff is WWII surplus and they appear to have stopped making it. If you're talking AR mags where you can easily replace a spring in the event it weakens it's another matter and one that I wouldn't concern myself with at all. I keep my carry pistol mags loaded and I've never had an issue at the range.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Still waiting on the Hellcat to come in. Its been a month and a half
Where did you order from? Just curious. I've ordered two serialized items since March, both popular items that sell out quickly when in stock. One came in quickly. The other, I am still waiting on but I'm still within the time I was told it might take.

VN Store

Back