I still don't understand all the animosity toward Butch Jones

You all made some very good points, but I still don't hate Butch. He at least came and tried when no other better coach would touch us. I do resent the administration at the time. Our Bama AD didn't really try too hard to find a good coach.

When the family in charge hates spending money on a big time coach, you get Butch Jones and the Cleveland Browns....

There are a lot of individual things he did - poor offensive staff hires, poor in-game decisions, no proper S&C program, how he dealt with the media, etc., that all accumulated to him leaving the program in worse condition than he found it. That's the biggest knock on him, and one of the worst things you could say about any coach.

Go ahead and shoot me, but I just don't get it.
Yes, Butch was in over his head. Yes, his in-game decisions were often bad. And yes, his decisions lost us a few big games.
But ... But ... But he also got us back into the spotlight. We were ranked in the Top 10 and beat Georgia and Florida in 2016. Then 2017 happened and people forgot all that came before. I was glad to see Butch go, but I have no animosity toward the guy. He was just a transition guy. So why does everyone seem to despise him so much?

The answer was in your first paragraph lol.

Think y’all covered most of the con’s during his tenure. I’ll drop a couple of pro’s. That georgia game was awesome. The Dobnail was just about a perfect payback for the hobnail. The win over the gators was also very much needed. I hate to think about what kind of streak they’d both have against us without those.

I have no animosity towards him. He tried and he failed. And he gave some exciting moments while he was here (and plenty of let downs). He didn’t do anything to me or my family so it’s water under the bridge. No reason to have animosity.

Yes, Butch was in over his head. Yes, his in-game decisions were often bad. And yes, his decisions lost us a few big games.
But ... But ... But he also got us back into the spotlight. We were ranked in the Top 10 and beat Georgia and Florida in 2016. Then 2017 happened and people forgot all that came before. I was glad to see Butch go, but I have no animosity toward the guy. He was just a transition guy. So why does everyone seem to despise him so much?

But, But, But, TO EACH HIS OWN (and your own does not reflect the own of most of us)

Butch has 0 qualities of a leader. The behind the scenes stuff should be very interesting if it all ever comes out. Merely an egotistical 🐍 oil salesman.

The behind scenes stuff that people keep mentioning is what gets me. It seems to always begin and end with what a terrible person he is. The amount of lies he told his players, the physical and mental abuse that he put on the players and his overall coaching acumen all create a lot of smoke. There are a lot of things that I don’t think have truly come to light yet, but I think there is reason beyond him milking the University for money that he hasn’t gotten a job. I think when he gets vetted it becomes very clear the kind of guy he is.

At the end of 2016 the team had quit the hornblower.
2017 the hornblower quit the team, knowing he was gone.

Under orange pants and hornblower I never thought the teams wanted to play for their coach.

Say what want to, all I ever saw was a carpetbagger!!!! He reminded me of the guy who was the main character in the movie "The Music Man". The only difference in these stories was the movie had a happy ending!

Because he was a con man that's why. If he'd spent as much time and effort trying to coach football as he did his slogans and gimmicks he'd probably still be the coach.

I doubt his still being UT head coach. Their have been other head coaches of other sports that have not fit culturally that have done better than Butch that have not been able to stay around.

I despise Lyle for many reasons....the final nail in my hate coffin for him is when he smoked that f*******g cigar inside Neyland Stadium after Bama beat us.....with HIS RECRUITS. I will despise him the rest of my life for that stunt.

Last edited:
2016 turned out as well as it did in spite of the moronic head coach, thanks primarily to Dobbs. His offensive approach of handing off to Hurd 5-6 yards behind the undersized OL - including from the 1 yard line - and Hurd desperately fighting to get back to the line of scrimmage while taking a beating - and NEVER changing the approach - is indicative of coaching stupidity, complete inability to react and adjust, infantile stubbornness, a small mind. The wasting of talent is by far the worst of my 50+ years of watching UT football. Cap it off, as others have pointed out, by camping on Bama's staff as an intern while he rides the buyout gravy train - instead of acting like a man and getting a real job and attempting to rebuild his sorry career - it's impossible not to hold him in the contempt he deserves. Yeah, I can't stand the guy.

As I said in an earlier post for this thread. Carpetbagger . Then he goes to his friend, the Damn Yankee at Bama. Those folk south of us seem to over look the fact that their Saben is from the same area (I use the term loosely) as our brick layer.... Winning blinds most fans.

Dude never told Trevor Lawrence “No thanks”I’m not sure where y’all getting that from..he was on board,Butchs #1 guy and was at a All American game etc and Butch was also texting other recruits at the game saying”Ur my number one guy” also and some more stuff.Luckily Lawrence figured Butch our fairly quick and did what he did.I know there were rumors he wasn’t a fit for the system yada yada,I just think that group of kids seen thru the bs and once the text things come through that was the end of it.

Reactions: ShreveportVol
For me, the buyout (scheduled last payment Feb 2021) and his not trying to find employment to mitigate the buyout, as per the terms of his contract, tells the world the kind of person he is. He signed a contract, and hasn't honored his word to find real employment to offset the buyout, as the contract outlined. It's easy to believe he lied to players while he was coach, because he hasn't honored his word since being fired. This is all just my opinion from the outside, looking in.

cause we still paying him a lot of money every month maybe

Reactions: 08Vol
I still don't understand all the animosity toward Butch Jones

Let's see if you understand this logic. Butch was one of a handful of Messiah's sent to Knoxville to resurrect our program. He failed, just like the others. He got our hopes up. We thought he knew how to coach, but obviously had zero understanding of coaching players once they were on the field. Being let down by another fake news Messiah is why Butch will continue to receive the wrath of VN fans. It will dissipate once we are truly relevant again in the SEC. Then, the mortal sins of Lane, Butch and Dooley can be laid to rest.

Hope this helps you with your conundrum.

For me, the buyout (scheduled last payment Feb 2021) and his not trying to find employment to mitigate the buyout, as per the terms of his contract, tells the world the kind of person he is. He signed a contract, and hasn't honored his word to find real employment to offset the buyout, as the contract outlined. It's easy to believe he lied to players while he was coach, because he hasn't honored his word since being fired. This is all just my opinion from the outside, looking in.

VN Store

Back