'21 GA OLB Smael Mondon (georgia commit)

And thank the good lord Fulmer is AD. He’ll give him his time to make it right. Completely unlike years past..
Who would you have kept longer? Butch or Dooley? Neither should have been hired. Given the hires though, Dooley was fired a year too late, and Butch was fired three years too late. With both it was clear after their second season.

Reactions: hooter vol
Who would you have kept longer? Butch or Dooley? Neither should have been hired. Given the hires though, Dooley was fired a year too late, and Butch was fired three years too late. With both it was clear after their second season.
Both bad hires but Dooley never had a winning season and lost his only bowl appearance.

The thing about Dooley was his personality just didn’t fit at a place like Tennessee.

While he sucked as a HC, I found him to be a pretty decent offensive mind but he didn’t have the proper background to be the main guy in charge.

Butch was a snake oil salesman who could talk his way into getting elite recruits but lacked coaching and development. His stubbornness and refusal to slowly move away from his “system”, backfired badly in the SEC.

You’re correct, both should have never been hired in the first place but I believe if Butch would have went the Dabo approach where he hired great assistants around him to run the show, he might still be our coach.

If we’re talking about being a more like able guy, Dooley gets my vote.

And Dormady. I remember being so ticked off watching UGA beat us 41-0 in Neyland. The key takeaway from that game was Dormady doing like 20 RPO's and handing it every single time. What is even the point.
Minor point...but are we talking read option? I think CBJ's offense (as done by Dobbs) was a read-option offense.

I'm not sure Butch was on the RPO (run-pass option) train. It probably would have infuriated him, an offense toward his immaculate system.

Minor point...but are we talking read option? I think CBJ's offense (as done by Dobbs) was a read-option offense.

I'm not sure Butch was on the RPO (run-pass option) train. It probably would have infuriated him, an offense toward his immaculate system.

More RPO than anything. Very rarely if ever did he have a pitch man. That I remember at least

The thing about Dooley was his personality just didn’t fit at a place like Tennessee.

While he sucked as a HC, I found him to be a pretty decent offensive mind but he didn’t have the proper background to be the main guy in charge.

Butch was a snake oil salesman who could talk his way into getting elite recruits but lacked coaching and development. His stubbornness and refusal to slowly move away from his “system”, backfired badly in the SEC.

You’re correct, both should have never been hired in the first place but I believe if Butch would have went the Dabo approach where he hired great assistants around him to run the show, he might still be our coach.

If we’re talking about being a more like able guy, Dooley gets my vote.
The idea that Butch got elite recruits is way overblown

Reactions: SugarCC
More RPO than anything. Very rarely if ever did he have a pitch man. That I remember at least
Read option doesn't have a pitch man. Maybe you are thinking of triple option. Read Option is just reading the DE and either handing off or the QB shoots the edge...as far as I understand it. This is how Dobbs ran it. Worley and Dormady did so too, but were never run threats, so it was silly tbh.

RPO is handing off or making a quick pass (read-pass option). Doesn't involve the QB running, normally.

And Dormady. I remember being so ticked off watching UGA beat us 41-0 in Neyland. The key takeaway from that game was Dormady doing like 20 RPO's and handing it every single time. What is even the point.
I don't want to search for the clip, but Butch educated all of us about what an RPO is and what it isn't.

Read option doesn't have a pitch man. Maybe you are thinking of triple option. Read Option is just reading the DE and either handing off or the QB shoots the edge...as far as I understand it. This is how Dobbs ran it. Worley and Dormady did so too, but were never run threats, so it was silly tbh.

RPO is handing off or making a quick pass (read-pass option). Doesn't involve the QB running, normally.

That’s exactly what I meant. Dobbs killed teams with it and it was perfect for him and should have been for Lawrence too.

If they ever cross bred a turtle and a sloth you’d have Worley running the RPO.

That’s exactly what I meant. Dobbs killed teams with it and it was perfect for him and should have been for Lawrence too.

If they ever cross bred a turtle and a sloth you’d have Worley running the RPO.
Worley was a tough SOB though. Took some wicked licks while he was here and got right back up. You gotta respect him.

Worley was a tough SOB though. Took some wicked licks while he was here and got right back up. You gotta respect him.
He got the hell beat out him. I remember that last Vandy game he played, I kept wanting him to just stay down. I knew then, a coach, that shall not be mentioned, I would be out on him.

He got the hell beat out him. I remember that last Vandy game he played, I kept wanting him to just stay down. I knew then, a coach, that shall not be mentioned, I would be out on him.
Worley and JG are both tough sobs.They both have took some wicked hits and kept coming back

VN Store

Back