Beattie Feathers

Tush Hog

I’ve heard his name pronounced two ways and was curious which is correct.

Is it Beet•ee
or Bait•ee
?

Beattie recruited my father-in-law to play at Wake Forest. He loved the guy dearly. He pronounces it Beat

On the other hand, there was a guy here who was on the team at or near his time. (along with my dad (in the band) and my uncle both in school then). They all three pronounced his name Bait-ee.

Reactions: Tush Hog
My father was at Tennessee when Beattie played there. At that time he was Bait-ee. Also, back in the 30s, it was General Na-land not Nee-land. Time has a way of changing things I guess the General's wife and children had a hand in how his name was spoken after his death.

Reactions: Tush Hog
My father was at Tennessee when Beattie played there. At that time he was Bait-ee. Also, back in the 30s, it was General Na-land not Nee-land. Time has a way of changing things I guess the General's wife and children had a hand in how his name was spoken after his death.

I'm sure they took great comfort in changing the pronunciation... good grief.

what makes you say that? I mean I have heard both but usually those who say NAY seem to be fans of other teams , play by play announcers , etc...

The most compelling “evidence” would be Mrs . Neyland herself saying KNEE-land and pointing to her knee for emphasis , as referenced by another poster .

Just wondering if you had info / proof to the contrary?

Reactions: vols4evah

VN Store

Back