Pete Rose Applies for Reinstatement

At a basic level, this is just MLB pretending a great player wasn't great because he offended their sensibilities. The integrity of the game isn't affected in 2020 because Pete Rose bet on baseball over 40 years ago

Reactions: Vols4us and VolnJC
If Tom Brady becomes a coach and bets on football, you're telling me he's not a Hall of Famer? Because to me, that sounds stupid as hell.

Put him in the HOF if you want, but keep him away from the game. Betting on games that you're managing is about as bad as it gets.
only thing he will do at games is charge a high fee for his now plunging autograph -- he is pretty much a no name to most of todays young fans

Yes... It's the ultimate sin.
thing is now, with all these idiot politicians passing online sports gambling, it can become more common and easier for coaches and players to place bets anonymously

And all he had to do was follow the steps laid out by Peter Ueberroth: admit what he did; accept a temporary suspension; talk to minor leaguers about what he fell into. Instead, he denied everything for 15 years until finally coming clean when he was trying to sell a book.

And all he had to do was follow the steps laid out by Peter Ueberroth: admit what he did; accept a temporary suspension; talk to minor leaguers about what he fell into. Instead, he denied everything for 15 years until finally coming clean when he was trying to sell a book.

If he's only banned because he didn't cooperate with MLB decades ago, I'm even more supportive of him getting in

Thing is... There are still issues with betting on your own team. And I don't think anybody believes that he stopped with his own team.
right if Joe Jackson cant get in then Rose isnt getting in

Thing is... There are still issues with betting on your own team. And I don't think anybody believes that he stopped with his own team.

Doesn't matter what anybody thinks happened. It only matters what they proved. Betting on his team to lose was not in evidence.

Rose was a crap human being in aspects of his life at times. I'm speculating, but I would guess that's the case with many of us on here. MLB and the Hall are filled with them and most did not have the level of scrutiny that Pete had. So they slid right into the Hall based on what they did on the field including some with PEDs usage that was not pursued by MLB. How is cheating to win games by violating rules like the Astros in MLB and Pats in the NFL not worthy of banning players, but don't you dare gamble, while gambling is legal virtually everywhere? Who pulled off the bigger offense - the Astros using covert methods against the rules to the tune of adding over a hundred million dollars in value to their team, or, Pete betting personal funds on baseball games while even losing more than winning that had zero effect on MLB?

It's at the crossroads now. Hammer all on everything every time or provide paths to reconcile past violations and redeem.

Rose isn't any worse than anybody else case in point Barry bonds that little cheat stealing the record from Hank Aaron by pumping himself full of junk. Couldn't do it on natural ability best he could have done what possibly have been beating babe Ruth's record.

Reactions: Pacer92
If some 🤡 wants Bonds in. Then the alltime hits leader needs in.
Bonds isn’t barred from the game. He’s done some coaching. And he’s eligible for the HOF...just unlikely to ever get voted in.

If Tom Brady becomes a coach and bets on football, you're telling me he's not a Hall of Famer? Because to me, that sounds stupid as hell.
Different sport different HOF standards. Paul Hornung was busted for gambling while still playing.

Bart Giamatti was the Commissioner.

When the investigation started and Rose was first confronted it was Ueberroth that was commissioner.
When the investigation ENDED and any offers would have been made, it was Giamatti.

The guy bet on his sport from the dugout. I don't know if he was betting on his team but you have to draw the line somewhere. If not just get rid of the hall of fame process.

Here's my thought ...Bonds, McQuire, Sosa cheated to get their stats ..Rose didn't and I've never heard any evidence that he threw a game while playing or managing

VN Store

Back