Lou's article

Thanks for posting this article on Lou Brown of which she writes. I will miss her positive cool-headed leadership on the basketball court when things were getting kinda out of control.....she'd be the first to cool the players down when they were thinking all was lost. I will miss Lou Brown .... I do wish she had 3 more years at UT.

Thanks for posting this article on Lou Brown of which she writes. I will miss her positive cool-headed leadership on the basketball court when things were getting kinda out of control.....she'd be the first to cool the players down when they were thinking all was lost. I will miss Lou Brown .... I do wish she had 3 more years at UT.
also wish she had 3 years I'll miss her getting me fired up whenever she took a charge😢

it sure doesnt AT ALL.I was kinda shocked our coaches dont seem like what she described.idk maybe she was reading to much into it I honestly dont know

I said it all along,,,I even used "the right words" as my Custom title for volnation

Those kids needed ore than just a coach-friend,, they needed direction, a strong hand and a soft heart, they all needed the right words.

Lou proves it

Loved Lou. I hope the coaches read this and take a long hard look in the mirror. This type of behavior is not acceptable. I don't care who you played for. If this is how players are treated, then they need to rethink what a coach is and how they should act. I'm not happy with this at all. I understand it's just one side of the story, but there has to be a thread of truth in it. Take care, Lou. I wish you all the success you desire.

it sure doesnt AT ALL.I was kinda shocked our coaches dont seem like what she described.idk maybe she was reading to much into it I honestly dont know
Doesn't sound like there was enough time to build a relationship, and not good communication between the coaching and players: the coaching took her for granted with their actions based on what Lou is saying, and she probably also would have benefited from sticking up for herself more assertively if she felt that they weren't providing her with the appropriate support. She was a trooper to stick through it to the end, but it sound like she left kind of abruptly and wasn't too sorry to be leaving. A real shame...

Loved Lou. I hope the coaches read this and take a long hard look in the mirror. This type of behavior is not acceptable. I don't care who you played for. If this is how players are treated, then they need to rethink what a coach is and how they should act. I'm not happy with this at all. I understand it's just one side of the story, but there has to be a thread of truth in it. Take care, Lou. I wish you all the success you desire.
especially now a days kids are so soft I remember Tamika catchings once said Pat summit told if she doesn't play defense like she wants her to she can go back to Texas If you told a player that today they'd be in the portal tomorrow.It seems like Lou was looking for something in the coaches and they didnt provide it I certaintly hope this"laughing" at player isnt common amongst the coaching staff.

"I had just attempted to drive to the basket in back-to-back plays. Both times I lost the ball, much to my frustration. When I looked back to my coaches seeking support and encouragement, my heart sank to a new low. Expecting corrections, all I saw were laughs. All while running through my head was “My coaches were laughing at me! It was embarrassing and there was no way I was ever going to do that during a game. My coaches are laughing, imagine what 12,000 people might say?”
This is now stuck in my head

Yes. I would be careful reading too much into this article as well. I do find it sad that she felt she was being laughed at though, never a good feeling. Especially for a young person who was looking for a compliment and some encouragement.

To be fair to coach, she was not recruited by Kellie, was coming off an injury, was unable (and from the article it sounds as though she may have been unwilling at times) to practice and was not going to be continuing to play professionally. Not a very good use of the coaches’ time to spend a ton of time rehabbing her and working on her game. As she said, they were likely primarily concerned with the future of the program. This is one athletes perspective and Kellie took over a dumpster fire. I’m sure she had a lot on her plate and you have to prioritize.

I personally just inherited someone else’s team in a work situation and I can tell you it is not easy. When you did not assemble the people it’s very difficult to execute the plan you have in mind. She may have been repeatedly asked to work on certain aspects of her game and gave excuses instead of results. Which is what is happening to me now. People who have been allowed to underperform and who have been mismanaged in the past tend to have a lot of difficulty with new structure and expectations. Not everyone adapts well to having a new sheriff in town.

I do hope the coaches read this so they can see how she felt.

Yes. I would be careful reading too much into this article as well. I do find it sad that she felt she was being laughed at though, never a good feeling. Especially for a young person who was looking for a compliment and some encouragement.

To be fair to coach, she was not recruited by Kellie, was coming off an injury, was unable (and from the article it sounds as though she may have been unwilling at times) to practice and was not going to be continuing to play professionally. Not a very good use of the coaches’ time to spend a ton of time rehabbing her and working on her game. As she said, they were likely primarily concerned with the future of the program. This is one athletes perspective and Kellie took over a dumpster fire. I’m sure she had a lot on her plate and you have to prioritize.

I personally just inherited someone else’s team in a work situation and I can tell you it is not easy. When you did not assemble the people it’s very difficult to execute the plan you have in mind. She may have been repeatedly asked to work on certain aspects of her game and gave excuses instead of results. Which is what is happening to me now. People who have been allowed to underperform and who have been mismanaged in the past tend to have a lot of difficulty with new structure and expectations. Not everyone adapts well to having a new sheriff in town.

I do hope the coaches read this so they can see how she felt.

I don't mean anything to jab particularly at Coach K,,, Coach Warlick never confronted players or aproached them after foolish turnovers or aloof playing....This is a trend in coaching that has to stop.

Players want to be coached, if they don't,,,tell em goodbye and find some who do!

I don't mean anything to jab particularly at Coach K,,, Coach Warlick never confronted players or aproached them after foolish turnovers or aloof playing....This is a trend in coaching that has to stop.

Players want to be coached, if they don't,,,tell em goodbye and find some who do!

Yes I agree. My primary point was that Kellie and her assistant coaches were likely in a position where they had to decide where to focus their energy. As Lou hinted it seems the coaches basically wrote last season off before it even started. I’m guessing they spent a TON of time building and shaping the younger players. Most of which was probably extremely positive and we will never hear about it.

Jazz may also have not received much attention. Again, it’s tough to inherit someone else’s players. When you can tell someone isn’t fit for your system it doesn’t make much sense to try to drag them along. You focus your attentions elsewhere and let the individual decide if they are going to rise to the occasion or not. Players like Rennia and Rae certainly did.

“I was feeling this season was not a priority for our coaches, the future of the program was.”
😧

I actually saw this statement and thought it was a positive thing. When you have 2 seniors that probably would not have played for the top half of the SEC, you want your new coach to build for the future. Kellie did not completely write them off and they both still contributed to the team. It sounds to me like she just put more energy into building up the players that were returning the following season. That does not always sit well with the group of seniors that you inherit.

I said it all along,,,I even used "the right words" as my Custom title for volnation

Those kids needed ore than just a coach-friend,, they needed direction, a strong hand and a soft heart, they all needed the right words.

Lou proves it

I’m not sure I 100% agree that they weren’t given direction based off of Lou’s article. I remember struggling after an injury during high school and I felt very similar to what she mentioned in this article. When I went on to injure myself a second time in college, it was much easier because I had that high school experience to reflect on. I had such a hard time in high school because mentally I was struggling. Nothing my coach did or said helped. A lot of the things she mentioned I experienced and their was no “right word” that would fix my struggles because I read into everything my coaches did or did not say. Fortunately for me, I had more basketball ahead of me and the following season I was back to my old self both mentally and physically. Things that embarrassed me or upset me during those times did not embarrass or upset me anymore and I didn’t read into them as much because my mentality was completely different.

This may be an example of the philosophy that you teach and correct in the film room, coach in practice, but during games (esp. early season) you let your players figure it out, both within themselves individually and together as a team.

This may be an example of the philosophy that you teach and correct in the film room, coach in practice, but during games (esp. early season) you let your players figure it out, both within themselves individually and together as a team.
Exactly! I’m sure they thought their 6th year senior could figure it out. Kellie always spoke highly of Lou. Laughing or making a joke after a mistake is not uncommon. I can go watch game or practice film of all of the top women’s coaches and find a clip of this occurring. This was more of an issue because Lou was struggling within herself and the coaching staff was new.

VN Store

Back