Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree 100% that he was chief of cheaters. And I never liked Bonds. But you got to give the guy that fact he was an amazing talent. PEDs didn’t improve his eyesight and hand-eye coordination. His ability to get on-base was incredible. It’s a shame he choose the cheating path just for the power to hit homeruns.

Edit: and to be able to stay healthy longer and recover quicker.

I agree 100% that he was chief of cheaters. And I never liked Bonds. But you got to give the guy that fact he was an amazing talent. PEDs didn’t improve his eyesight and hand-eye coordination. His ability to get on-base was incredible. It’s a shame he choose the cheating path just for the power to hit homeruns.

Edit: and to be able to stay healthy longer and recover quicker.
How much of that OBP was inflated by intentional walks? Still impressive either way.

Bonds posts - how about we recognize that bat speed matters. It doesn't get better with age, it slows down. Doesn't matter how good your hand/eye coordination is. Injuries and age happen. Yet, Bonds' bat speed stayed high. PED's user as everybody knows.

Ask Junior about it. He would have nearly every power record imaginable had he been able to get over the injuries that started to cause his skills to deteriorate after 10-12 years. But he chose to live and play the right way. No PED's.

Joey Votto had some of the best every hand/eye coordination ever. Look at his career OBP and production. Yet, when he hit his mid-30's it started to go. His back got balky on him and had tough knee injury. He had to change his swing and choke down 2-3 inches to keep his bat speed up, so his power and production fell off a cliff. No PED's.

Nobody could challenge the physique development and baseball work that Junior and Joey put into their craft in comparison to any player ever. Personally, I could never seriously consider anybody who used PED's for the best or greatest of anything. Cheating is cheating. By celebrating the PED's users you are blowing off all of the guys who do and did it right.

So much sand. Have they just been doing that recently to ensure that the grass and everything doesn’t get super soggy etc while no one is taking care of it? Or is that the norm?

The sod is Tifway Bermuda as I understand it. Used a lot on golf courses in the south. It thrives in sandy loam type soil. Adding sand periodically is good to do. They built an excellent drainage system under the field.

Did anyone ever happen to come across an article or someone that knew estimates for football revenue projections of varying fan capacities vs no fans vs no football at all? I'm still curious what the differences look like. I would think no fans and just TV contracts would still be quite profitable.

Also, if the games are not played at all, does that mean contracts don't have to be paid out? Does the university hold insurance for such instances?

Doesn't have to be UT-specific, just curious of rough scenario percentages vs normal revenues, ie no fans equals 50% of normal, or 20% fan capacity equals 60% of normal, etc.

The sod is Tifway Bermuda as I understand it. Used a lot on golf courses in the south. It thrives in sandy loam type soil. Adding sand periodically is good to do. They built an excellent drainage system under the field.
Glad to hear. I know we had trouble with the field for a couple of years. Sounds like they have completely remedied that.

Reactions: SmokinBob
If you go 2-5 with a single and a home run every single game of the season, you’ll end up with a worse OPS than Barry Bonds in 2004. With the 2-5 each game with a single and a homer, that is a 1.400 OPS, Bonds had a 1.422 OPS.

From 2001-2004, Barry Bonds played in 573 games and reached base in 539 of them.

Let's hope we never have to know...assuming it was no biggie...not that we sweep something away.
Was the time for the investigation only through the weekend? I know we assumed TW was talking about it when he said Friday would be interesting. I kept looking with dread Friday. Was there something else that makes it seem like it is over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back