Really UF? [discontinues Gator Bait cheer]

I predict Ole Miss 'Rebels' name will be next to go, and probably should. I actually thought they had banned that name a few yrs ago but apparently not. Always considered sports to be the least racist activity we have but apparently in today's climate everything is fair game. Hope the Smokey name and having a dog as a mascot is not somehow considered to be racist but we are in a crazy time.
They got rid of Colonel Reb as a mascot, but not the Rebels name. Frankly, I'm surprised as well how the name has lasted this long.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
All this is telling me is the country needs to hurry up and get back to work because we clearly have way too much time on our hands these days.

This all day.

In the bigger picture, all this means is our band will have one less song to play in the fall...and we still have the “move back you suck” chant when our opponent gets a penalty. 😎

There’s no shortage of images and “folklore” about the alleged practice of using black babies to lure and trap alligators, and as another poster stated, slaves were allowed and encouraged to breed freely...sometimes the slave master participated too. So sacrificing a couple babies for a couple skinned alligators was worth the investment.

Based on the amount of images and information, I tend to believe it actually happened. You’re free to disagree with that.

What all this has to do with UF’s gator bait chant is another issue completely. Anyone suggesting our chant is directly connected to the alleged practice of feeding babies to alligators needs their heads examined.

When you say it was worth the investment, I think you’re ignoring the high economic value of a slave as opposed to that of an alligator.

A slave went for around 40,000 in today’s terms. I have a feeling alligators weren’t that valuable given the number of alligators.

Snopes is as left wing as it gets, and even they’re not buying this.

When you say it was worth the investment, I think you’re ignoring the high economic value of a slave as opposed to that of an alligator.

A slave went for around 40,000 in today’s terms. I have a feeling alligators weren’t that valuable given the number of alligators.

Snopes is as left wing as it gets, and even they’re not buying this.

And I disagree with Snopes...they can’t definitively prove it didn’t happen any more than I can prove it did happen.

Do some research past the Snopes article. There’s no shortage of information on the topic. Black babies were used to lure alligators during slave times.
Don't particularly trust Snopes... but the claim doesn't pass the sniff test.

From 1800 to 1860, the black population in the US went from as low as 400K to as much as 7 million depending on who interprets the census. That happened without importation of slaves from Africa. Slaves were treated very different at different times and places. Indentured servitude in which most slaves (including white ones) could earn their freedom was common early but diminished over time. What we recognize is the repugnant, dehumanizing, grotesque treatment of slaves developed as southern settlements moved west and established large plantations. Slaves were very valuable commodities and children as much or more so than adults.

This makes less sense from a purely economic standpoint than a modern cattle farmer throwing a 400 lb calf to the gators.

I can't say it didn't happen... just that it doesn't make sense that it would happen or be very common.

That snopes article says it’s folklore

Total bs Propagated by the Left to incite . That IS their goal; tear this Country apart by pitting Black against White. It's working. They are now attempting to involve the UN in OUR Issues. That's the strategy. New World Order at work. US Sovereignty in trouble. BEWARE what you think you want! Revolutionary Marxism always leads to Ethnic Cleansing.

Reactions: DixieVol
I predict Ole Miss 'Rebels' name will be next to go, and probably should. I actually thought they had banned that name a few yrs ago but apparently not. Always considered sports to be the least racist activity we have but apparently in today's climate everything is fair game. Hope the Smokey name and having a dog as a mascot is not somehow considered to be racist but we are in a crazy time.

Hearing that the non-smokers have a problem with the dog

Total bs Propagated by the Left to incite . That IS their goal; tear this Country apart by pitting Black against White. It's working. They are now attempting to involve the UN in OUR Issues. That's the strategy. New World Order at work. US Sovereignty in trouble. BEWARE what you think you want! Revolutionary Marxism always leads to Ethnic Cleansing.

That reads like a ransom note.

From 1800 to 1860, the black population in the US went from as low as 400K to as much as 7 million depending on who interprets the census. That happened without importation of slaves from Africa. Slaves were treated very different at different times and places. Indentured servitude in which most slaves (including white ones) could earn their freedom was common early but diminished over time. What we recognize is the repugnant, dehumanizing, grotesque treatment of slaves developed as southern settlements moved west and established large plantations. Slaves were very valuable commodities and children as much or more so than adults.

This makes less sense from a purely economic standpoint than a modern cattle farmer throwing a 400 lb calf to the gators.

I can't say it didn't happen... just that it doesn't make sense that it would happen or be very common.

That because you’re applying 2020 logic to 1800s culture and sensibilities. Not everything made sense back then.

... slaves were allowed and encouraged to breed freely...sometimes the slave master participated too.
This is an interesting side bar. They weren't just encouraged... sometimes they were bred without respect for their marriages or will. It was a sickening practice but there were male "studs" used to yield better offspring.

The modern DNA databases have made the white participation more clear. According to one of them, they average black person in America is 24% white. You would suspect that many of those relations were not consensual. But some may very well have been. There is evidence that babies that were "too light" were not only sent away for rearing but were often supported and sometimes even received an inheritance.... and again sickeningly... it sometimes included title to slaves.

This is an interesting side bar. They weren't just encouraged... sometimes they were bred without respect for their marriages or will. It was a sickening practice but there were male "studs" used to yield better offspring.

The modern DNA databases have made the white participation more clear. According to one of them, they average black person in America is 24% white. You would suspect that many of those relations were not consensual. But some may very well have been. There is evidence that babies that were "too light" were not only sent away for rearing but were often supported and sometimes even received an inheritance.... and again sickeningly... it sometimes included title to slaves.

Truth.

That because you’re applying 2020 logic to 1800s culture and sensibilities. Not everything made sense back then.
You think things make sense now? The truth doesn't matter unless it fits the right narrative... even in math.

People then were VERY conscious of their economic investments and particularly plantation owners. Slave economics were already starting to turn by 1860. Some historians have speculated that the system would have collapsed due to technology in less than 40 years. The horse drawn combine was invented in 1834. Steam engines began to be used briefly in the late 1800's for ag machinery. The internal combustion engine replaced both by 1930.

The slave economy was in its death throes but the guys we're talking about weren't looking at that. They were looking at the value of that asset at auction.

I know where it came from.....The War of 1812. I know my history. Not wanting to cause trouble, It was sarcastic........:rolleyes:

Illegal use of the blue font. Penalty is responding to the same post 15 times. Repeat first down.

With the administrators in upper education today?

Andrew Jackson was responsible for the phrase and he owned several slaves.
And the mascot is a coon dog.

Nothing is too far fetched these days........

Very true. The last thing one would think a slave owner would want to do is lose future slaves. That would make zero sense. Slaves were expensive, which is why so few people could actually afford them.

On a side note, did you know that some wealthy black people owned slaves in this country? Google it. And no.....I am in no way, shape or form defending slavery back then, or the slavery that exists now in the world. It's terrible.

Didn't the state of Tennessee send "Volunteers: to fight in the "War between the States"

I guess UT will now be changing the Nickname. smh
At this point, I think anything is on the table. We are watching people pursue a veritable poo poo platter of grievances and I don't think anyone has any idea when and how it all will end. I certainly hope my VOLS will be left out of it - but I don't see how based on current trends. And I'm pretty sure just being a TN VOL creates issues, so stand by.

VN Store

Back