Jeff Hall is educating the Knoxville Chapter of TN Society of CPAs today.

37620VOL

Barely-Known Member
In case you're wondering whatever happened to Jeff Hall. He is now a Certified Financial Planner in Farragut and a partner at Rather & Kittrell.
He is currently speaking and started with the fact that he went broke after leaving the NFL. I'm glad to see how successful he is doing now.

If he's not already doing so, it would nice to see him come in a couple times a year to provide financial advice to Vol athletes.

In case you're wondering whatever happened to Jeff Hall. He is now a Certified Financial Planner in Farragut and a partner at Rather & Kittrell.
He is currently speaking and started with the fact that he went broke after leaving the NFL. I'm glad to see how successful he is doing now.

If he's not already doing so, it would nice to see him come in a couple times a year to provide financial advice to Vol athletes.
Good to hear. Mr. Rather dominated my school on numerous occasions in HS basketball. Very good guy I got to know well at UT-K.

Is it wrong to have little sympathy for professional athletes who go broke after retiring? I guess I would have to know extenuating circumstances, but come on.

Is it wrong to have little sympathy for professional athletes who go broke after retiring? I guess I would have to know extenuating circumstances, but come on.

Hall barely played in the NFL (just a handful of games with the Rams) so that's different than the athletes who squandered 8 or 9 figures.

Wife (fiance at time) worked in Morgan Keegan tower with him during same timeframe in very early 00s.

Reactions: livefaith

He probably made $175k for one year... maybe less depending on when he was cut.

Hall barely played in the NFL (just a handful of games with the Rams) so that's different than the athletes who squandered 8 or 9 figures.

Wife (fiance at time) worked in Morgan Keegan tower with him during same timeframe in very early 00s.

Did he not get a degree? Just trying to understand why a college educated person making $175K in his first year after college at 22 years old goes broke. But hey, I’ve made some questionable financial decisions in my 49 years of life too

Did he not get a degree? Just trying to understand why a college educated person making $175K in his first year after college at 22 years old goes broke. But hey, I’ve made some questionable financial decisions in my 49 years of life too

MK was decimated by the .com bubble burst, 9/11, accounting scandals, and much lower interest rates as a result. Many of the brokers who made 6 or 7 figures there in 1999 were unemployed or making pennies on the dollar by 2002.

Saw a lot of friends employed at MK who struggled big time during that time frame. Not justifying it but his case wasnt uncommon. Probably one of the reasons I'm fairly financially conservative today

Last edited:
MK was decimated by the .com bubble burst, 9/11, accounting scandals, and much lower interest rates as a result. Many of the brokers who made 6 or 7 figures there in 1999 were unemployed or making pennies on the dollar by 2002.

Saw a lot of friends employed at MK who struggled big time during that time frame. Not justifying it but his case wasnt uncommon. Probably one of the reasons I'm fairly financially conservative today

good point

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo

I could see it. Guy gets drafted as an NFL kicker, makes 6 figures, feels confident, buys a $500k house and a used Lexus, stops making 6 figures rather abruptly, continues training and trying out, pays taxes on six figures at the single rate ... $175k can evaporate rather abruptly. Even if he found entry level employment rather quickly, $50k/yr not going to sustain the lifestyle that was expected.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
Jeff is an awesome guy from an awesome family. Worked with his dad. Glad to hear he is doing well and agree that he would be an asset in teaching student athletes personal financial management. VFL.

Reactions: tennrich1

I doubt Jeff Hall wanted anyone to feel sorry for him. It's something to learn from which he did and now he's helping to teach others. Some people don't ever figure personal finances out which is a head scratcher because it ain't rocket science.

Last edited:
I would've gone broke too at 20 years old and someone gave me a million. That is if I didn't die, I would have been broke. Life is a lot different now.

Reactions: The_Big_Orange
Yep, class of '94 Franklin County Rebels and still holds the state's high school record for longest field goal. I remember they used to say he wore out 2 or 3 footballs every summer practice kicking. He was a good dude. Not surprised at all he's doing something to help others.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo

VN Store

Back