Mike Gundy facing backlash

Oh, well I don't really disagree with that at all. Both fringes of the political spectrum, not just the left, are cult-like. With people on the fringes, you aren't really allowed to have a nuanced opinion about anything. You either totally agree with them, and if you don't then you're a terrible person.

Many on the right would have the same reaction if a coach was pictured wearing a Che t-shirt or something. Few, if any, players would care and I doubt the media would cover it closely, but I bet some fans would be upset, and it'd be a really self-unaware thing for a CFB coach to do.
Right. Those are quite the standards they have. Next time OAN starts executing political enemies on their network their outrage would make sense

Reactions: allvol123
Right. Those are quite the standards they have. Next time OAN starts executing political enemies on their network their outrage would make sense

You seem like the most outraged person on this issue fwiw. Why are you tying yourself in knots to defend gundy? He doesn’t need your saving and he really isn’t worth the trouble.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
I’m not familiar with OAN. I’m assuming it’s under fire because it’s Pro Trump or conservative. If that’s his take tell him to hit the bricks. You can’t start allowing athletes to dictate the athletic department because they don’t agree with a person’s political allegiances. This stuff is getting out of hand .
If it were not for those athletes, there would be no athletic department. The athletes are de facto employees. If those athletes are offended and leave, the product will suffer.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I’m not familiar with OAN. I’m assuming it’s under fire because it’s Pro Trump or conservative. If that’s his take tell him to hit the bricks. You can’t start allowing athletes to dictate the athletic department because they don’t agree with a person’s political allegiances. This stuff is getting out of hand .
Perception is reality though. You (and I, to be honest) see Chuba as being overly sensitive to his head coach wearing a t-shirt with the logo of a controversial right-wing website - that site is controversial even among some on the right-wing. Chuba perceives Gundy wearing the shirt as being in agreement with or sympathetic to things said on the network that are critical of BLM. I think Chuba is overly sensitive because you can be critical of some of the tactics, rhetoric, and political positions of BLM while still thinking that police brutality against black people is bad - however, I doubt he sees is that way. I think he sees any criticism of BLM as being aloof or uncaring of police violence against black people.

Even if you think you're right, if you wear that t-shirt and players leave the program because of it, it's still a problem. What Gundy did there shows a stunning lack of self-awareness; it'd be like the analogy I mentioned earlier, or if Pruitt was photographed wearing an anti-2A shirt or something. It's just something that puts him out of step with a group of people he needs to be in-step with, and a total unforced error.

You seem like the most outraged person on this issue fwiw. Why are you tying yourself in knots to defend gundy? He doesn’t need your saving and he really isn’t worth the trouble.
I don’t it has anything to do with his personal feelings in Gundy. It’s an example of attempting to censor and violate the 1st amendment through the bully pull pit. Why is BLM above reproach? Why is a media network not able to openly criticize BLM?

Perception is reality though. You (and I, to be honest) see Chuba as being overly sensitive to his head coach wearing a t-shirt with the logo of a controversial right-wing website - that site is controversial even among some on the right-wing. Chuba perceives Gundy wearing the shirt as being in agreement with or sympathetic to things said on the network that are critical of BLM. I think Chuba is overly sensitive because you can be critical of some of the tactics, rhetoric, and political positions of BLM while still thinking that police brutality against black people is bad - however, I doubt he sees is that way. I think he sees any criticism of BLM as being aloof or uncaring of police violence against black people.

Even if you think you're right, if you wear that t-shirt and players leave the program because of it, it's still a problem. What Gundy did there shows a stunning lack of self-awareness; it'd be like the analogy I mentioned earlier, or if Pruitt was photographed wearing an anti-2A shirt or something. It's just something that puts him out of step with a group of people he needs to be in-step with, and a total unforced error.
I've quit watching FOX for the most part and watch OAN. It's going to be nice when Tucker Carlson,Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham go to OAN when their Fox News contracts are up in the next year. Lachlan and James Murdock who run Fox News now are extremely liberal and want to turn Fox News into another CNN.

If it were not for those athletes, there would be no athletic department. The athletes are de facto employees. If those athletes are offended and leave, the product will suffer.
And whether anybody likes it or not, the athletes have now discovered they have some power and it’s not going away. That “video” of Gundy and Hubbard yesterday was the most forced and contrived thing I’ve seen in a while. (Well maybe second to a Trump Coronavirus press conference.) Do you think Gundy or these other coaches would have bothered with backtracking a month ago? No chance. He read the tea leaves too late. Trust me, they aren’t done with Gundy yet. At the very least he has damaged himself immeasurably on the recruiting front as every opposing coach is going to use it against him. I’m just glad we didn’t get the mullet clown. People have to learn to read what’s going on here. And if you don’t like it, you might want to consider finding a nice cave to live in, far away from everybody. The genie is out of the bottle and, unlike the past, you won’t be able to put it back in. Again, like it or don’t, it doesn’t matter.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
I don’t it has anything to do with his personal feelings in Gundy. It’s an example of attempting to censor and violate the 1st amendment through the bully pull pit. Why is BLM above reproach? Why is a media network not able to openly criticize BLM?
How is anybody's 1A rights being affected?

Nobody is saying Gundy shouldn't be allowed to wear the shirt or OAN shouldn't be allowed to air an opinion. If you're a player on a football team and you don't like something your coach did, you're free to leave the team because of that. It isn't a 1A thing.

Nobody is saying Gundy shouldn't be allowed to wear the shirt or OAN shouldn't be allowed to air an opinion. If you're a player on a football team and you don't like something your coach did, you're free to leave the team. It isn't a 1A thing.
The 1st amendment rights of Conservatives are violated all the time on college campuses:rolleyes:

Nobody is saying Gundy shouldn't be allowed to wear the shirt or OAN shouldn't be allowed to air an opinion. If you're a player on a football team and you don't like something your coach did, you're free to leave the team because of that. It isn't a 1A thing.
Really?
Just wait.

Gundy has had a disdain for the media since, well, forever. He found OAN by channel surfing and thought they just reported the happenings without the usual left/right slant that most do (Gundy’s words). I doubt Gundy gives a rats ass about all the worked up people.
Anybody who has that poor judgement is too ignorant to run a popcorn stand, much less a major college football program. It’s either that or he’s just an uncaring Neanderthal. Of course, it is Oklahoma we’re talking about. Not exactly a bastion of forward thinking. Again, more than thankful that we didn’t get that idiot.

Reactions: TJVol95
The 1st amendment rights of Conservatives are violated all the time on college campuses:rolleyes:
I don't disagree there have been instances where conservatives have been shouted down on college campuses, speakers haven't been able to actually speak, etc., and that's bad, but nobody's 1A rights were violated in this instance. The 1A says that the government cannot infringe upon a citizen's freedom of speech.

If a HC does something one of his players doesn't like, and that player leaves the team, it's got nothing to do with the 1A. Gundy is still free to say whatever, and his players can react to it accordingly.

I didnt even know what OAN was and had to google it. Apparently it's a right wing conservative news site. Think Fox News but worse. Anyway, he's done gone and pissed his players off.

Thoughts?

This may belong in the PF wasnt sure. Move if necessary

He should be able to voice his opinion. Don’t be afraid like Drew Breese.

Anybody who has that poor judgement is too ignorant to run a popcorn stand, much less a major college football program. It’s either that or he’s just an uncaring Neanderthal. Of course, it is Oklahoma we’re talking about. Not exactly a bastion of forward thinking. Again, more than thankful that we didn’t get that idiot.

I think you’re getting a little carried away with bashing this guy. I doubt this guy had any intention of offending anyone on a private fishing trip with his boys. How has it gotten to this point....that if Jeremy Pruitt went fishing today with a Knoxville PD tee shirt on, his job would be in jeopardy and he’s being verbally attacked as a retarded, racist Neanderthal?!

Utterly ridiculous...

You haven’t been paying attention
I've been to college campuses, and I work near a college campus that I frequent quite often. I hear conservatives every Friday near the greens speaking.
Next you will tell me that Christians are being persecuted in America, and that there is a war on Christmas.

I thought Gundy was a well-known kook. Nobody in this thread seems to acknowledge that so I might be wrong. Doesn’t he stay in personality trouble all the time?

I googled gundy apologizes and so most recently he did so on April 11. I could not easily figured out the time before that,

VN Store

Back