Greeneville High Schools New Football Coach?

Milehigh_Vol

Anybody have any idea what is happening in Greeneville? Was an up and coming powerhouse and now is searching for a new coach.

Anybody have any idea what is happening in Greeneville? Was an up and coming powerhouse and now is searching for a new coach.
Coach Caine Ballard quit after the 2018 season when Greeneville won the 4A State Championship for the 2nd straight year, and his qb son graduated and got a scholarship to play at West Point. His reasoning was that he wanted to be able to watch him play, and he had reached the top of the profession for high school coaching.

Mike Hammonds became head coach for the 2019 season, and went 10-3 with 2 losses to the eventual 4A State Ch winner, Elizabethton. The only reason that Coach Hammonds gave was that after 15 years of playing football, and 16 years coaching it, was that their would be no more cleats. Someone told me that Hammonds didn't like being a head coach, but liked being an assistant. Maybe too many folks expected him to go 15-0 every year.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Coach Caine Ballard quit after the 2018 season when Greeneville won the 4A State Championship for the 2nd straight year, and his qb son graduated and got a scholarship to play at West Point. His reasoning was that he wanted to be able to watch him play, and he had reached the top of the profession for high school coaching.

Mike Hammonds became head coach for the 2019 season, and went 10-3 with 2 losses to the eventual 4A State Ch winner, Elizabethton. The only reason that Coach Hammonds gave was that after 15 years of playing football, and 16 years coaching it, was that their would be no more cleats. Someone told me that Hammonds didn't like being a head coach, but liked being an assistant. Maybe too many folks expected him to go 15-0 every year.

The Cyclones had some tough breaks a few years. They couldn't beat Science Hill (Johnson City) and Greeneville going 8-2 and going to state playoffs and losing in the 2nd or 3rd round. Now the Cyclones have beaten SHHS two years in a row and finally beat Greeneville going 15-0! GO CYCLONES! Are we the "up and coming team?" Who knows? Greeneville had been the team to beat in 4A the past 4 years or more. SHHS is class 6A. Greeneville beat them bad!

Reactions: 1972 Grad
I'm sure there are at least 50 rumors in Greeneville already about why Hammonds resigned, but probably 0 are true.

The new coach, who is originally from around Knoxville, is a solid choice and will continue to have a strong program.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
That Elizabethton coach with the very familiar last name is an absolute stud of a coach. He's coached circles around Stacy Carter the last two years. I don't understand why Carter is struggling at Science Hill. SH *should* be dominating NE TN annually and turning out d1 recruits.

That Elizabethton coach with the very familiar last name is an absolute stud of a coach. He's coached circles around Stacy Carter the last two years. I don't understand why Carter is struggling at Science Hill. SH *should* be dominating NE TN annually and turning out d1 recruits.
I played at The Hill in the early 90s. Carter is a joke. Why they can’t coach basic fundamentals is beyond me. I was extremely lucky to have played for coach Mike Turner. One of the best coaches ever at SH. There is so much talent in JC. We should be going deep into the playoffs every year!

I played at The Hill in the early 90s. Carter is a joke. Why they can’t coach basic fundamentals is beyond me. I was extremely lucky to have played for coach Mike Turner. One of the best coaches ever at SH. There is so much talent in JC. We should be going deep into the playoffs every year!

Carter was so good at South. Started off ok at SH but declining more recently.

VN Store

Back