Johnny Majors Tribute Thread

I wish I had a bottle in my desk...but, when I get home, I will raise one or three to Coach.

jack.png

Coach Majors loved Tennessee and had a real appreciation for the history and traditions of the program. Loved to beat Bama and Vandy! He'd lose a stinker every now and then or more likely tie, but his teams could really get up for the big games. I was on the Hill from 81-85 and the Vols were 3-1 against Bama during that time. RIP Coach Majors!

If you are of a certain age, you might recognize this guy -- even if you don't recognize his name: Harvey Lee Yeary. You might also recognize the number he's wearing, which he chose to honor his boyhood hero, Johnny Majors. When he decided to pursue a career in acting, he was persuaded to change his name. He kept his middle name and adopted the last name of his hero. Figured it out yet? Lee Majors.

majorscollege.jpg

So many memories growing up in a home where there were many stories from a Dad who loved Johnny, George Cafego and a fullback named Bartholomew. Many memories, too, of friends relating their days teeing it off with Johnny, even one with a deceased Bammer who called those 18 holes one of the best outings with with a coach.

First memory of seeing Johnny was from behind the visitors' bench when Johnny brought the Panthers into Wallace Wade Stadium on a day Duke had to discount and give away tickets. It was the same Johnny I later remember wearing a sharp sportscoat and stubbing out a cigarette while we watched from the lower level from Section R.

I moved to Tuscaloosa months before THE PICTURE was made while I listened in silence to the radio on a Saturday in the office. I kept that picture and know it's somewhere in a box along with KNS clippings about his return home and first recruiting class ...

and there was the day while eating breakfast that i heard the news over wkgn of the train and coaches who were driving to work

Remember the Majors cameo in the "Fear the Pants" flashmob? The dude loves UT.

Yeah it was good to see him back around after Fulmer left. I know he must of really felt forgotten at times during Fulmer's run. I'm glad Kiffin got him coming back around the university and team. We only got to enjoy Fulmer's run because of the foundation JM created. It was a messy situation but he was a class act all the way! A true Vol hero. Rest in peace sir.

I met Coach in late 70s when he came to a private school I was coaching at in Memphis. We had a stud OL who was 6 6 and was 340 lbs. Coach was scheduled to be there at the coaches office we all shared about 3pm. Myself and another coach was wrapping up our day and standing buck naked at the desk and the door opened wide and Walt Harrison I believe it was came in and never spoke and he looked around and went back out and followed Coach in the office. Coach asked our head coach four words and they were: Where is your telephone ? He got on the phone and Walt asked a few questions and Coach hung up the phone and they walked out. The kid took an official visit to the hill and was greeted by 7 of the Vol hostesses and a orange volkswagon bug where they all got in somehow. The young man signed with Ms. State and started summer school and quit and never went back!!! Just did not have the brains and motivation and last I heard was working in a Hibbitts sporting goods store!

Reactions: ArdentVol
One of the things I appreciated, especially as his tenure wore on, about Coach Majors was he looked like a man on the sidelines. He didn't have to have a shoe company matching him in garanimals for a game. He looked like a grown-up rather than a 12 year old.

VN Store

Back